Volker Grassmuck on 19 Mar 2001 19:54:00 -0000

[rohrpost] Taliban contra Buddha

Subject: Taliban contra Buddha

We, the undersigned, plead for an immediate end to the Taliban
edict to demolish Afghanistan's cultural heritage. We further urge
the Taliban spiritual leader Mullah Mohammed Omar to enter into
dialogue with the international community -including the Arab and
Islamic governments that overwhelmingly have condemned these
actions - in order to explore proposals to safeguard this
irreplaceable cultural heritage from further, senseless destruction.
The edict of the 26th of February 2001 to destroy pre- Islamic and
Buddhist objects- including the world's largest standing Buddha
statues at Bamiyan-runs counter to all the basic principles of
respect, tolerance and the wisdom upon which Islam is based, and
is a breach of the Taliban pledge made in 1999. We plead with
Taliban authorities to stop this irreversible assault on two millennia
of Afghanistan's artistic and cultural achievements, ! treasured not
only as the spiritual birthright of Buddhists everywhere but also as
a universal cultural heritage for people of all faiths and nationalities.
1. Gustavo F
Araoz, US/ICOMOS, Washington, DC, USA 2. Douglas C. Comer,
Ph.D.,
Cultural Site Research and Management 3. Anna Paolini,
UNESCO 4.
Gaetano Palumbo, University College London 5. Glen Peterman,
Dickinson
College 6. Joseph A. Greene, Harvard University 7. Lydie T.Shufro,
Albright Institute of Archaeoplogical Research 8. Simo Parpola,
University of Helsinki 9. Hermann Hunger, University of Vienna 10.
Gebhard J. Selz, University of Vienna 11. Vladimir V. Emelianov,
St.-Petersburg State University, Russia 12. Torchinov Evgeny, St.
Petersburg State University, Russia 13. Andrei Karneev, Moscow
State
University,Russia 14. Marina Fuchs, Russian State University for
Humanities, Moscow-Koeln/

Russia-Germany
15. Fatmir Mema Faculty of Economics,! University of Tirana
(Albania)
16. George Petrakos, University of Thessaly, Greece 17. Alexander
Mazarakis Ainian, History/Archaeology Dpt, University of Thessaly,
Greece 18. Anthony M. Appa, Harvard University 19. Giorgio
Buccellati,
UCLA 20. Baruch Halpern, Penn State University 21. Alan Cooper,
Jewish
Theological Seminary and Union Theological Seminary 22. Erika
Fitz,
New York, NY 23. Anne Dunn Short Hills, NJ 24. Royce Froehlich,
Columbia University School of Social Work and Union Theological
Seminary. 25. Avital Ronell, New York University 26. Carol Jacobs,
New
York University 27. Sigi Hammer-Webster, New York University 28.
Astrid von Chamier, New York University 29. Eva Horn,
Europa-Universit=E4t, Frankfurt/Oder, Germany

    Please sign and also forward this e-mail to
    friends, family, news groups, mailing lists etc.
    DO NOT SIGN TWICE. DO NOT LET IT DEAD END. IF YOU
ARE UNABLE OR
    UNWILLING TO SIGN IT, EITHER FORWARD IT TO OTHERS
OR RETURN TO
    unesco.press@unesco.org -To avoid adding ">>>" onto the
chain,
    please preferably cut & paste
the
    entire petition and list of names into a new message prior to
    re-sending. -THE 100th, 200th, 300th NAME/PERSON to sign is
    requested to also forward the updated list of signatures back to
    the United
Nations
    Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization at e-mail:
    "unesco.press@unesco.org"
    UNESCO International Petition to Safeguard Afghanistan Cultural
Heritage

   http://waste.informatik.hu-berlin.de/Grassmuck