play@berlin.heimat.de on 19 Jul 2000 11:47:40 -0000

[rohrpost] [kunst und technik] workshop: augmented reality: space and communication / mixing reality and data

[ k u n s t   u n d   t e c h n i k ]   I N V I T A T I O N

>1 week WORKSHOP:

theme: "augmented reality: space and communication
/ mixing reality and data"

date: July 31st till August 4th

space: Centre em Movimento / Lugar Comum, Lisboa, Portugal
http://www.lugarcomum.com

language: English

url: http://www.kut-berlin.de/pt_workshop

>[kunst und technik]
wants to invite you to a workshop on "augmented reality:
space and communication" in Lisboa, Portugal.
This workshop belongs to a series of workshops named
"100% future" at the "Centre em Movimento" in Lisboa .
It includes seminars by invited guests like "Gerfried Stocker
and Horst Hortner, Ars Electronica Center (A)",
"Masuyama, Nintendo (JP)" and "Roy Ascott (GB).

> workshop focus
Between the real world and the "new world", that computers are
about to create, a broad range of areas and phenomenons are
being created which contain elements of both. In society,
culture, art, business, psychology etc., there are innumerous
phenomenons which mark an exchange between the natural and
the virtual and the fictional. (...)

> space / reality
One conception which explicitly deals with the combination of
natural- and computer world is the term "computer augmented
reality". Both terms "augmented reality" and "virtual reality" are
mostly used in the meaning of "augmented space" and "virtual
space". They are focused on the experience of 3-dimensional
space rather than reality as a whole.
Reality, of course, is much more than space. And reality is yet
different depending whether we talk about an "objective"
surrounding reality - the environment - or the individual reality,
one that a human experiences.
* Is augmented reality a new technology?

> virtuality / freedom
Looking at the key areas of virtual space and augmented space
we find that the new space is not as new as it could be.
Although virtual space is trying to let the user completely forget
his/her original reality and location- it mostly contains a slavish
copy of natural world principles: It imitates spatial logic, gravity,
light reflection etc. Commonly the quality of virtual space is
seen in the degree of "realism", which has been achieved.
* We're proud to implement artificial gravity and spatial
limitations. But didn't we want to fly?

> natural / virtual
Similar does apply to the field of augmented reality. Here, so
called "data objects" help us to see the real world more clearly.
The data objects give "extra information"; they are used as an
aid for a better perception of things or aspects which already
existed before. Therefore they do not possess a character of
their own; they react to real space, but real space does not react
"back". Disturbingly, this is the second arrival of the virtual or
fictional in the natural space. The first was the arrival of the TV
and the computer screen. Then, the opposite was true: then the
living room was regrouped around the new "window", but the
media did not react.
* On which side are you, virtual or natural?

(...)

For further information visit the workshop website at:
http://www.kut-berlin.de/pt_workshop
or contact play@kut-berlin.de .

We would like to welcome you in Portugal!

Best wishes,

Jan Edler and Tim Edler / [kunst und technik] Berlin

dipl.ing. jan edler  e:play@kut-berlin.de
[kunst und technik] e.V. leipziger strasse 50
d-10117 berlin
email: kunst+technik@kut-berlin.de
http://www.kut-berlin.de