Diana McCarty on Tue, 18 Dec 2001 00:13:49 +0100 (CET)

Re: [oldboys] VIRUS--this is REAl, please see instructions in this email

This is a real hoax - and just in case you get another mail like
this one, please look on the websites that offer updates about
viruses. The file that is named in this one is a windows application
that is used for storing long file names (I think). It won't kill
you not to have it, but it is one of the things that belongs in
your operating system.

On the symantec site, I did read that there is a similar virus
but they have a check that you can run to find out if it is
on your machine.

Please, never send mails like this and if you recieve mails
like this, do not follow the instructions in them. Running
a virus scan and do a regular check of new viruses is what
you need to do to keep them off your machine.

All the best,

Diana

PS: I just had a nasty experience with sircan and did a whole lot
of reading on viruses etc...

Mary Jo Aagerstoun wrote:

> I received a message containing a virus, and chances are you have it too,
> since you are in my address book.  It lies dormant for 14 days and then it
> kills your hard drive.  Here's how to
> stop it.  (If you've got it, send this to everyone in your address book).
>
> The directions for removing it:
> 1.  Go to "start," then to "find"
> 2.  In the "Find all files named" type in    sulfnbk.exe
> This is the virus
> 3.  In the "look in" make sure you are searching Drive C.
> 4.  Hit "find now" button
> 5.  If this file shows up (it's an ugly blackish icon that will have the
> name
> " sulfnbk.exe"   DO NOT OPEN IT!.
> 6.  Right click on the file, go down to delete and left click.
> 7.  It will ask you if you want to send it to the recycle bin.  Say yes.
> 8.  Go to your recycle bin on your desktop and and double click on the
> recycle bin.  Right click on sulfnbk.exe and delete again, or empty the
> bin.
> If you find it send this e-mail to all in your address book, since that's
> how
> it is transferred.
>
> I am sorry about this...
>
> MJ

> Mary Jo Aagerstoun
> University of Maryland at College Park
> mjaag@wam.umd.edu
> www.artwomen.org
> phone:(202)234-6038
> fax:(202)332-1479

**  distributed via <oldboys list>: no commercial use without permission
**  <oldboys list> is an unmoderated mailing list for global cyberfeminism
**  to remove your address from the list, send a message to: