Clara Ursitti on 1 Sep 2001 09:20:04 -0000

Re: [oldboys] Re: maria fernandez/suhail malik on cyberfeminism

re: critique of Haraway

Dear Maria and Connie,

I too was intrigued by Connie's comments.

I think that is quite telling when it is OK to heavily critique Sadie Plant
but not Ok to critique Haraway.  I actually see the merits of both writers,
as well as their weak points, but within their respective disciplines (
Haraway a science historian and Sadie Plant a philosopher, both from
different parts of the world with completely different contexts, and
different generations,)  Is it not a bit contradictory to refute a critique
on Haraway's ironic manifesto, its promises and what has happened over 20
years on?  Or is this the  " dissonance" that OBN is supposed to be based
on?

As for the following comment

    that is why i have never accepted a critique like the one from maria,
saying cyberfeminism is not political or critical or radical or whatever
nice adverbs there are around. why doesn't she [simply] formulate her idea
of a political cyberfeminism and contributes it? why is it the better
political gesture to blame others for not doing what i think has to be done?
i am happy that this very comfortable gesture doesn't work any longer with
cyberfeminism.

Isn't what Maria wrote a contribution?

It will be really interesting to read about the conference as I hope it will
clarify some of my thoughts at the moment re: OBN.  I hope that it will show
me that there is more of a sense of community than this bickering I receive
in my e-mails. I am really trying to get a grasp of what it is all about.

All the Best,

Clara