Amy Alexander on 12 Jul 2001 05:57:54 -0000

Re: [oldboys] re:HAL GALS = BIKE DRAWING CONTEXST?

On Thu, 12 Jul 2001, Mathilde muPe wrote:

(but first, dsolomon wrote):
> >Dear HAL Gals,
> >
> >So maybe we could have a bike drawing stand/table/tent at the HAL?
> >And since we will have examples of the most masculine of men it will be
> >most interesting. I mean the tinkerers .....

sounds fun, but on the other hand, i wonder - i don't think mechanical
tinkering and code tinkering are all that closely related.  for example, i
like code tinkering but generally don't like mechanical tinkering; it
amazes me when people assume because i do some programming and unix
administration that i can fix cars. (i can't.) most of the male
artists/filmmakers i've worked with seem pretty mechanical (they build
installations, fix their own moviolas, etc., and their cars too) - but shy
totally away from anything to do with programming. why? probably because
they've been socialized in their arts education about what artists do and
don't do, the same way boys and girls are socialized about what their
gender does and doesn't do.

anyway, i see code tinkering as much more of a conceptual activity than
mechanical tinkering, which have much more of a basis in the physical
world. i.e one is math and the other is engineering, physics, etc.

> To me the reason why I failed to easy sketch a good looking car or bike is
> simple; I missed the training in my childhood.

i think i could actually draw those reasonably well in my childhood, but
definitely not now! i think for the same reason though - at some point you
might be encouraged to do something, at some point not (the point of
turning from a kid to a woman) ... or in many people's cases, never at
all, but you can make a conscious effort to learn it yourself.

---
plagiarist.org
Recontextualizing script-kiddyism as net-art for over 1/20 of a century.

**  distributed via <oldboys list>: no commercial use without permission
**  <oldboys list> is an unmoderated mailing list for global cyberfeminism
**  to remove your address from the list, send a message to: