Ognjen Strpic on Tue, 24 Jun 2003 19:02:10 +0200 (CEST)

[nettime-see] TOL launches partnership with FPA

Transitions Online - Intelligent Eastern Europe

Media Advisory     For Immediate Release:      Tuesday, 24 June 2003

Foreign Policy Association and Transitions Online Launch New Partnership
Two Groups to Cover International Affairs and Eastern European
Integration

New York and Prague, Czech Republic-- The Foreign Policy Association's
(FPA) Online Projects Department announced this week the launch of a new
partnership with Transitions Online (TOL), a Prague-based media
development organization dedicated to using Internet technologies to
help strengthen the professionalism, independence, and impact of the
media in post-communist Central and Eastern Europe, the Balkans, and the
former Soviet Union.

FPA and TOL will provide users with online news, resources, and
educational materials intended to foster learning about the ongoing
transition to democracy in Eastern Europe. The partnership comes as the
United States embraces nations in the region as partners for promoting a
democratic agenda worldwide.

"We are extremely pleased to enhance our relationship with TOL at a time
of strategic importance to the missions of both of our organizations,"
said Robert Nolan, online editor at the Foreign Policy Association.
"With so much attention being focused on the integration of Eastern
European nations into the EU and NATO, we feel that this partnership
will assist us in providing http://www.fpa.org users with professional,
independent coverage of the region as a whole."

The increased flow of information coming from FPA and TOL will help the
public understand the realities of political, social, cultural, and
economic transition in 28 post-communist countries. "Our partnership
brings to life an invaluable resource to anyone interested in conducting
research, business investment, or assessing the limitations and rewards
of any venture in a region undergoing a dynamic transformation," added
Jeremy Druker, TOL director and editor in chief. "In partnership with
FPA, TOL continues to present features and analysis exploring the local
angles and issues shaping the way Eastern European politics, business,
and societies are being transformed."

FPA and TOL offer publications, events, and media coverage of
international and regional world affairs. The Foreign Policy Association
Web site is http://www.fpa.org, and Transitions Online is
http://www.tol.cz.

The Foreign Policy Association, founded in 1918, is a New York-based
nonprofit organization dedicated to inspiring the American public to
learn more about the world.

Transitions Online is a Prague-based nonprofit Internet magazine and
media development organization with branch offices in Moscow, Sarajevo,
and London. TOL produces timely, original news and analysis, covering
all 28 countries in the post-communist region through its network of
local journalists and editors.

For additional information contact:

Eugen Babau-Iladi
Transitions Online