Mihai Pop on Thu, 6 Sep 2012 07:10:47 +0200 (CEST)

[Nettime-ro] Adina Popescu - SOLID STATES - Galeria Plan B, Berlin

 Adina Popescu
SOLID STATES
Opening:ÂSeptember 7, 18ÂâÂ22 h
September 7 â  October 20,
2012
TuesdayÂâÂSaturday, 12ÂâÂ18
Potsdamer Strasse 77-87, 10785 Berlin
Galeria Plan B is pleased to announce the first solo exhibition of Adina
Popescu
(*1975 in Romania, lives in New York).

We are happy to
invite you to the opening of the exhibition SOLID STATES
on Friday,
September 7 from 6 to 10 pm.Â

This is a show about lifelessness, artificiality and the scary
immortality of synthetic materials.
It is about FEELINGS AS READYMADES
and about techniques of Global Marketing, PR, Speeches and Hollywood
CinemaÂâ

I. JEREMIAH

Adina Popescuâs
film (Jeremiah, HD, 10:23 min, 2010) shows a confession of an Internet
hacker -played by Clemens Schick- who was convicted for IDENTITY THEFT. At
the same time he is nothing but a scripted character: We see the actor
wearing a silly blue bow tie. His extensively color corrected eyes seem
meaningful when looking at us through the camera lens, when telling us how
it all started and how he got into stealing..

Adina Popescu worked
with an editor of commercial movie trailers on the edit of this piece, using
the same techniques of intensification and heightened dramatic attention as
known from mainstream cinema and advertising language. 'Jeremiah' is a
highly manipulated character that is not to be trusted. At the same time he
speaks the truth. The text claims positions that the artist agrees with A
HUNDRED PERCENT - and yet, it is hard to tell if 'Jeremiah' is lying to us
or not. He obviously is an imposter, as is the artwork that acts as his
frame.

II.SOLID STATE I, II & III (2012, raw steel,
acrylic paint, plastic coating, MDF, enamel, polyester)

SOLID STATES
is an examination of how abstractions and models shape real space. How can
the outline of a room, an architectural drawing, a 3D rendering, a sketch or
a speculation (arbitrary dots connected by a pen) be transferred into real
space while maintaining their abstraction?Â
In this exhibition Adina Popescu has built a film set for
'Jeremiah'. Only that his space here is just an outline of a room: A sketch,
a transfer of a model into the real world. What we see is a lifeless space,
made from lines of raw steel with their infinite processes of oxidation, as
well as un-organic toxic plastic coatings that may as well exist in a
vacuum.ÂBut non the less: If we were to trace those lines, trying to
understand where they connect, would we then be able to tell a
narrative?

III. '2014â

â2014â is an exploration of PR
language and how it colonizes our imagination with readymade images and
feelings that - until today - use the same prophecies, fears and metaphors.
(â2014â, 2012, sound installation)
This piece has been installed in the galleries project room. Its
text is a direct translation of Goebbels Sportpalast Rede into a
âGerman soundingâ English and performed by the same Clemens
Schick, whose accent remains unidentifiable.
Adina Popescu has altered the text on the basis of an index with
which she replaced all the keywords of the text with keywords from todays PR
texts taken from political campaigns and from speeches on the economic
crises in 2008. While sticking to the original text, she has inserted absurd
repetitions of key sentences. The outcome here is rather
surprising.

For more information, please contact the gallery at contact@plan-b.ro and +49.1723210711.Â
Next art fairs:

Viennafair, 20 - 23 September
Frieze
London, 11 - 14 October
FIAC Paris, 18 - 21 October

Upcoming exhibitions of the gallery's artists:

Adrian Ghenie, Victor Man and Ciprian Muresan in the exhibition
Six Lines Of Flight.
Shifting Geographies in Contemporary Art
San Francisco Museum of Modern
ArtÂ
September 15 - December 31, 2012Â

Adrian Ghenie, Victor Man and Serban Savu in the exhibition
Nightfall
MODEM,
Debrecen
September 29, 2012 - January 31, 2013

Adrian
Ghenie in the exhibition
Francis Bacon and the Existential
Condition in Contemporary Art
Center for Contemporary Culture at Palazzo
Strozzi, Florence
October 10, 2012 - January 27,
2013

Adrian Ghenie
solo exhibition at The
Museum of Contemporary Art, Denver
September 21, 2012 - January 13,
2013

Victor Man in the exhibition
The House of
Leaves
The David Roberts Art Foundation
September 21, 2012 - February
23, 2013

Ciprian Muresan in the
exhibition
Sounds Like Silence (John Cage â 4'33'' â Silence
Today / 1912 â 1952 â 2012)
Hartware MedienKunstVerein
(HMKV), Dortmund
August 25, 2012 - January 6,
2013

Navid Nuur in the exhibition
Time, Trade
& TravelÂ
Stedelijk Museum Bureau Amsterdam
August 25 -
October 21, 2012

ÂNavid Nuur in the
exhibition
A Battle for NarrativeÂ
Bonnefanten Hedge
HouseÂ
August 30 - October 28, 2012Â

Miklos
Onucsan in the exhibition:
It's moving from I to it.
The
Contemporary Art Gallery of the National Brukenthal Museum, Sibiu
August
30 - September 28, 2012

Serban Savu
solo
exhibition atÂMihai Nicodim Gallery, Los Angeles
September 8 -
October 20, 2012

Rudolf Bone and Dan
Perjovschi