Rarita Zbranca/AltArt on Thu, 17 May 2012 08:31:36 +0200 (CEST)

[Nettime-ro] call for participants: DIY STANDUINO WORKSHOP - electronics for interactive art projects

DIY STANDUINO WORKSHOP - electronics for interactive art projects
Cluj, 23 May 2012

When: Wednesday 23 May 2012, starting at 10:00 (after the workshop participants will give a concert/jam session around 20:00) Where: hosted by AltArt Foundation, at Fabrica de Pensule, Str Henri Barbusse 59-61, Cluj
Capacity:  maximum 10 people
Price: 10 eur/person, is covering the costs for the parts and board to build Standuino - other used parts will be paid extra
Information: http://www.standuino.eu/
Language: English
Applications: until *21.5.2012* by email with the name of the participant to standuino@gmail.com <mailto:standuino@gmail.com> What to bring: Ideas what I can build on Standuino! and laptop or any computer

Workshop: Arduino and Open source hardware introduced the amazing world of electronics to wide range of creative people. But what is the situation 6 years after the launch of the project? Loads of tutorials and thousands threads in the forums. How to orientate? How to build simple things? How not to pay so much money for one purpose Arduino shields to make multipurpose stable device?

We try to answer these questions with Standuino! We developed the Standuino board according the legacy of our region - the Czech republic - where getting electronic parts is easy and cheap and where the knowledge doesn't lay on the internet, but in our fathers and in their magazines.

With the help of all of this we extracted that basic circuits that usually creative people need to make their projects. We were already commissioned by many artists to make simple things. Turning on and off lights or devices, movement with motors, connecting simple sensors, sound playback and so on. This area is being known as physical computing in the western world. From our experience it is really unstable to build stable devices on Arduino and breadboards without soldering.

You will learn:
-how to solder
-understanding of basic electronic parts
-how to make different things - in printed brochure participants will find basic circuits and will understand how to make them work -motor control, AC switching, simple sensors, lights, basic interface (buttons, pots) -how to program - we will introduce the basics of open source programming that will make the things talk to each other -you will build your own Standuino with functionality you need and you take it home

Please bring your ideas of what you would like to make within the area of electronics and we will try to adapt it to what is possible to build within the one day or we will make suggestions what to make further.

Standuino is the inovative force in hand-made electronic musicand open source hardware as well as theoretically and historically driven movementthat results in artworks, bands, workshops, happenings and writings. Standuino started as a clone board of popular Arduino but adapted to radicalDIY approachof eastern region (=bastl). With this powerful tool it became part of many art installations and enabled our research team to build prototypes of many different devices most importantly musical instruments. The whole concept of Standuinois inspired and covered by the story of a pioneer of media art-- Standa Filip. The name Standuino goes mainly from Standas name but also stands for what Standuino is best at -- the standalone applications.

organised by:
AltArt Foundation, Cluj, Str Henri Barbusse 59-61, mob +40 723 263072, www.altart.org

Remake (www.remakeme.eu)
mediaLab 4AM ( www.forum4am.cz <http://www.forum4am.cz> )
Graukllktv o.s. ( www.graukllktv.eu <http://www.graukllktv.eu> )

The workshop is part of the REMAKE - Rethinking Media Art in K(C)ollaborative Environments project. The project is financed by the European Union Culture Programme (2007-13).