Matei Samihaian on Thu, 14 Oct 2010 13:43:00 +0200 (CEST)

[Nettime-ro] net.art pop-up exhibition: SPEED SHOW ---> traces

*SPEED SHOW:* *TRACES

***

*Thursday 14th of October 2010, 19:00 â 23:00*

*Extremis Internet Cafe, Academiei Street 9, Bucharest, Romania**
(G-maps<http://maps.google.com/maps?source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=extremis+internet&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=24.37547,56.513672&ie=UTF8&hq=extremis+internet&radius=15000.000000&split=1&ei=MNSxTOXMLJL9OdeKsZMK&hnear=&ll=44.436155,26.100029&spn=0.002674,0.006899&z=17&iwloc=A>
)*

* *

Digital memories are embedded into the core of our on-line journeys, in the
way we surf, communicate and interact on /with the internet. Most of the
times we decide not to follow back our traces, we just keep on clicking,
searching for the new and fresher stuff that's out there, trying to link it
all to our present state. Constantly refreshing, searching untrodden, exotic
places made available by the new translate system or checking new on-line
image boards, the recollection of older sites or themes that you used to
like seems unnecessary. But that is already the constructed self of being
on-line. So the deeper you advance into the NOW, the deeper your roots and
traces go. Recall past promises of âthe digital age", recall long lost
diaries you used to look for in that empty search bar, recall lost passwords
of the accounts you used to have. Some of these entities still live out
there as forgotten pieces of digital dust, piling up in a properly
acclimatized server room.

For the Bucharest Speed Show we've selected 18 *net.art* projects that
address these specific issues: the lost memories, the emptiness and the
ghostly snail trail of our digital presence. The wide selection includes
works that deal with web surfing as an artistic tool as well as youtube/
games/ SecondLife interventions, code manipulation and animated gifs.

Curated by *Silvia Saitoc *& *Matei SÃmihÄian*, October 2010

Participating artists:

Jeff Baij (US)

Petra Cortright (US)

Chris Coy (US)

CÄlin Dan (RO)

Harm Van Den Dorpel (NL)

Jacob Broms Engblom (SE)

Parker Ito (US)

sumoto.iki  (FR)

JODI (NL/BE)

Oliver Laric (AT)

Jan Robert Leegte (NL)

Miltos Manetas (GR)

Michael Manning (US)

Jon Rafman (US)

Ryder Ripps (US)

Tabor Robak (US)

Rafael Rozendaal (NL)
Lance Wakeling (US)

*
*

*SPEED SHOW: STATEMENT*

The Internet browser a key element to the success of the web in the
beginning of the 90âs has grown mature in the last two decades. Technical
development, open standards and open software made the browser a very
powerful tool. It seems soon it will take over the operating system and
there will be nothing left than apps in the cloud.

Itâs about time to revisit *net.art* in an era of 500 million Facebook
 users. *net.art* never really found itâs way out of the media art bubble.
The browser was the promising canvas in the early â90s and is today more
then ever capable to do what ever you like. Within the last letâs say 5
years the Internet arrived and entered the mainstream. Thesocial web unfolded
its power and became part of everyday life of hundreds of millions users.
Their massive real time information flow began to have a huge impact on
mainstream media and political structures.

The potential size of an audience for on-line art work has grown infinitely
large. Technical barriers, limited access, little bandwidth or lack of
skills are not an issue any more. In an era of Internet memes and 20+
millionYoutube views on one video in a day artists need to reconsider the
web from a different perspective. A new generation of creative minds picked
up the field of *net.art* and expanded it to the next stage:
*pop.net.art* (coined
by Aram Bartholl 2010) emerged under the influence of social web monopolies,
highly flexible open software, amateur meme cult and pop culture. A wide
range of coders, designers and artists including the *pop.net.art* experts
from F.A.T. Lab are experimenting this genre with great success. âClassicâ*
**net.art* is appropriated and gets remixed with web activism, DIY
philosophy, sharing culture, easy to use browser ad-dons and open source
believers on a state of the art technical level.

*net.art* never died! It just moved to your local Internet-shop! Come and
join the party!

*
*

*Aram** Bartholl* 2010