integer on Mon, 23 Jan 2006 16:17:43 +0100 (CET)

[Nettime-ro] \\ aphanitik singularity __

                       \\  Aphanitic Singularity  [abstrakt

                                                    Alisa Andrasek + Netochka Nezvanova

"All possible branches are real"  (Borges, J.L. The Garden of Forking Paths)

Gardens were always optimistic reflections of the world, the liminal spaces between the known and unknown, matter and aether.
Foucault describes gardens as the oldest form of heterotopias, a microcosm of species, the smallest parcel of the world in its totality:
"The heterotopia is capable of juxtaposing in a single real place several spaces, several sites that are in themselves incompatible ...
the oldest example of these heterotopias that take the form of contradictory sites is the garden."

Shifting away from millennia old, rigid and static instrumentalities of control on the one side
and fictional representational effects on the other, this paper discusses 'genware', a computational system
employing dynamically relational assemblages for analysis, synthesis and cataloguing of regional
folkloric and cultural artifacts' phenotypes into a library of seeds or DNA, that may be grown, mutated and
hybridized upon infinitely variable topographies, transcending temporal, spatial, geographical and disciplinary boundaries,
osmotically bleeding the real and virtual within each other, as a heteroglossic yet glabrous continuum.

Although the system is open ended, being suitable for biomimetics and cultural mimetics,
within the current context we shall elucidate the latter, with a focus on pertinent Balkan folklore
and its myriad manifestations and potentialities for fashion/bodyscapes design.

To begin, visualize extracting the DNA from the intricate phenotype of a centuries old lace from Pag, Croatia,
mutating it with a sensual Romanian "marama" and growing it onto your body,
as an elaborate vessel of time and custom.

Employing processes of intensive genetic computation, distributed authorship and human/non-human agents in material/design praxis
we adopt a syncretic methodology for reconciling and coalescing the disparate, even opposing, cultural traditions
and regional sentiments of Balkan, germinating its multifarious seeds into a heterotopic multiverse of
intricately entangled, real and irreal gardens patterned as phantasmagorical bodyscapes.

Through the mediation of a custom library of genetic algorithms, the system educes the hypostases, or DNA's,
from divergent regional artifacts' phenotypes, populating a genetic library of seeds for the incubation
of novel garden types -- poly-scalar heterotopias. As opposed to individuations as subject or form, design is understood
as genetic inscription. The parallel reality of the invisible code is a common ground for multiple actualizations,
exploding design beyond the edges of human imagination, into a nomadic and unstable topology
traversing spirals polyphonically within the plasticity of incandescent meanings and coruscating myriads,
as an infinite abacus of fugue matrices, clarity and autopoietic complexity.

"When the sign loses its meaning, when it loses all possible meanings,
then it becomes pure sign, naked sign, abstract sign, it enters deeper
still into calculation, into mathematics, into money, (...) the number
becomes a letter, the letter itself is a symbol, the information,
the software undifferentiates itself, as if it were slowly entering
its own faculty, its own nakedness"  (Serres, Michel. Genesis)

___

                              ORDNUNG \+\ DISZIPLIN

                                                        | | krvava gruda plodna zemlja

                                      |9|
[p-un_kT-pr_o-T?k_oL] Ø f Ø Ø Ø 3       |
                 herausgegeben vøm !nternat!onalen
!nst!tut f:ur ordnung |+| d!sz!pl!n
       : / / www.m9ndfukc.org