Asociatia ECUMEST on Sat, 24 Dec 2005 08:58:04 +0100 (CET)

[Nettime-ro] Creatively 2006

Early 1990,

in the urge, spread around Eastern Europe, of tearing down all symbols remembering of its recent past before advancing to a better future, a creative re-contextualisation of the Marx and Engels monument in Berlin was made by an anonymous graffiti writer. On its small pedestal one could have read, when circling the monument, a different story than its builders had intended:
"We are innocent" ? "We are sorry" ? "Next time everything will be better" ?
"See you tomorrow at the unemployment office"
Sixteen years after, we wish you the imagination and energy to continue re-writing and re-inventing ways of meaningfully dealing with past, present and future. With the warmest wishes for a creative 2006,

Corina Suteu and the entire team of the ECUMEST Association

The story of the graffiti was recalled by Gabi Dolff-Bonekamper. 2005 photo re-contextualisation by Oana Radu
ECUMEST Association
Batistei 14, 020937 Bucharest
Tel/fax: +40-21-319 27 11

Email: ecumest@ecumest.ro