Claire Barrett on Thu, 24 Jun 1999 12:22:04 +0200 (CEST)

nettime-nl: Exhibition in Amsterdam, 12 augustus

Claire Barrett
1 Lanark Place
London W9 1BT
UK
barrettclaire@hotmail.com

I am an artist from London, and this August I will be having my first solo
show abroad in Amsterdam, which is part funded by the British Council, at
ëOutlineí, an artist run gallery in the Oost.

My show will feature a large video projection, photographic and video work,
and I deal with such themes as memory, cliche, and repetition. One piece is
called ìWishful Thinkingî it is a black and white video projection of a
young girl frozen in the act of blowing out her birthday cake candles and
making a wish. The girl remains motionless, while the candles flicker. In
this work I am trying to record the moment of a wish, which is a difficult
thing to define. How do you begin to measure where something as transient as
a wish begins and ends?

If you would like to know more about my work or receive an invitation please
contact me at the above address, or come to my exhibition at ëOutlineí,
Oeterwalerstraat 73, 1093 MD, Amsterdam; the opening is on the 12 Augustus
18:00 -21:00 or the show is open from the 13-27 Augustus from
dinsdag-zondag, 13:00-17:00. I hope that you will be able to come,
Yours,

Claire Barrett