Nictoglobe on Sun, 8 Jan 2017 21:56:26 +0100 (CET)

Re: [Nettime-nl] Ippolita Collectief: Internet: De democratische Illusie (II.16)

Over de structuur / eigenaarschap dit fragement uit Grand Hotel Abbys

“Shortly after he had been twitterjacked, I asked Habermas if the internet and social media might function as a public sphere. He was sceptical. ‘The internet generates a centrifugal force’, he replied.
It releases an anarchic wave of highly fragmented circuits of communication that infrequently overlap. Of course, the spontaneous and egalitarian nature of unlimited communication can have subversive effects under authoritarian regimes. But the web itself does not produce any public spheres. Its structure is not suited to focusing the attention of a dispersed public of citizens who form opinions simultaneously on the same topics and contributions which have been scrutinised and filtered by experts.
Perhaps social networking websites might help create that solidarity? ‘As regards its impact on the public sphere, accelerated communication opens up entirely new possibilities for organising activities and for large-scale political mobilisations of widely dispersed addressees … However, they remain contingent on their relation to the real decision-making processes that take place outside the virtual space of electronically networked monads.’25”

Excerpt From: Jeffries, Stuart. “Grand Hotel Abyss: The Lives of the Frankfurt School.” Verso. iBooks.
This material may be protected by copyright.

Sent from my eXtended BodY