alphaville on Mon, 18 Jun 2012 20:20:46 +0200 (CEST)

[Nettime-nl] Solidarity to Iranian students and researchers in the Netherlands

Dear all,

as you might have heard, the Dutch government has decided to give an
interpretation to EU sanctions against Iran that will affect many
Iranians studying and working in the Netherlands.

This is the statement of my research group.

For more information check here

http://www.rijksoverheid.nl/documenten-en-publicaties/kamerstukken/2012/06/14/kamerbrief-over-aanvragen-visa-en-verblijfsvergunning-mensen-met-iraanse-nationaliteit.html

http://www.joop.nl/opinies/detail/artikel/14386_stop_sancties_tegen_iraanse_studenten_in_nederland

Amir

---
On Friday 15th Iranian students and Ph.D. researchers at TU Delft have
received a letter from the human resources department of the university,
stating that new applications for residency permits to the Dutch
Immigration and Naturalisation Service (IND) will not be further processed.

This is an consequence of the decision of the Dutch Ministry of Foreign
Affairs to unilaterally interpret the EU sanctions against Iranian
students and knowledge workers, in order to block the “transfer of
knowledge and certain technologies to Iranian people.” Nevertheless,
these restrictions apply to all Iranians working in the Netherlands, and
not only those involved in “strategic” sectors.

We strongly disapprove the Dutch Government’s decision to divert
economic sanctions against the freedom of thousands of individuals who
chose to study and work in the Netherlands.

Moreover, we express our concerns for the ongoing process of
provincialization of this country, which has deliberately declared war
to the production of knowledge in the form of budget cuts first, and
with the closure of its borders now.

The City as a Project
Berlage Institute/TU Delft Ph.D. Program

http://thecityasaproject.org/