Tjebbe van Tijen via Chello on Wed, 21 Dec 2011 22:04:19 +0100 (CET)

[Nettime-nl] Summary execution from 1968 to 2012: from pistol to drone

Summary execution from 1968 to 2012: from pistol to drone

December 21, 2011 by Tjebbe van Tijen

the slightly extended versions with links and the tableau picture can be found at

http://limpingmessenger.wordpress.com/2011/12/21/summary-execution-from-1968-to-2012-from-pistol-to-drone/

[tableau 1968 pistol = 2012 drone]

Summary Execution 2012 – 1968.. long distance versus close range killing on the spot without any trial… are we as shocked by the killing drones of today as back in time during the Vietnam War, with the Chief of the South Vietnam Police General Nguyen Ngoc Loan executing a handcuffed Vietcong prisoner, Nguyen Van Lem in the street in Saigon in front of an NBC camera man and an Associated Press photographer?

Is high tech killing of a whole area, building or car with “precise” rockets experienced as somewhat more acceptable than a close range shot in the head?

Tableau made after reading in The Guardian yet another story of the use of drones to kill adversaries without any form of trial: “William Hague questioned over British role in drone strikes” (Lawyers for Noor Khan, whose father died in Pakistan strike, want clarification of British intelligence’s role in CIA campaign).