Patrice Riemens on Wed, 5 May 2010 09:56:13 +0200 (CEST)

[Nettime-nl] [Fwd: [Reader-list] Public Enemy vs Arizona: Sonic Immigration]

text is Engels, muziek is universeel!
;-)
Happy 5e mei!
p+3D!

Subject: [Reader-list] Public Enemy vs Arizona: Sonic Immigration
From:    "Paul D. Miller" <anansi1@earthlink.net>
Date:    Tue, May 4, 2010 21:10
To:      "sarai" <reader-list@sarai.net>

Hey people - I just finished a studio session with Chuck D from Public
Enemy. In the wake of Republican Governor Jan Brewer's appalling
anti-immigrant law, me and Chuck D were rappin' and we decided to put
together an update of his classic track "By The Time I get To Arizona."

You can download the track from here:

http://www.djspooky.com/music_download_form.html

Anyone who knows about hip hop from the early 90's remembers John McCain's
unwillingness to endorse creating a local version of Martin Luther King's
birthday. The update here is a 21st century look in the rear view mirror.
The cliché that "those who don't learn from the past are doomed to repeat
it" still holds sway in our hyper amnesiac culture. I remixed D.W.
Griffith's infamous film Birth of a Nation  with a bit of Public Enemy in
mind, and later on, they named an e.p. with the same name as my project.
Me and Chuck D have done several projects in the past around progressive,
non knucklehead hip hop.

Please feel free to download this track and pass it around. We are the
media. Feel free to pass it around!

By the way, this is a mashup, and it's basically not really for sale. I
just took a riff from Philly Sound (www.funkadelphiarecords.com), and
flipped it. The result, is what you hear here. It's free, and open. No $!!
You can download a better resolution version of the track here:

http://www.djspooky.com/music_download_form.html

Check it!

Paul