Tjebbe van Tijen via Chello on Sat, 7 Nov 2009 06:41:02 +0100 (CET)

[Nettime-nl] Prins Garnaal in Mexico/ The Shrimp Prince in Mexico: sabotage or poetic inspiration by La Chingada?

Prins Garnaal in Mexico/ The Shrimp Prince in Mexico: sabotage or poetic inspiration by La Chingada?

November 6, 2009 by Tjebbe van Tijen in The Limping messenger
When we shout “Viva Mexico Hijos de la Chingada!” we express our desire to live closed off from the outside world, and above all, from the past. In this shout we deny our origins and deny our hybridism.

[Octavio Paz "The labyrinth of solitude: and the other Mexico" (first edition published in 1950 as "El laberinto de la soledad"]

Prince Willem Alexander spiced up his state visit lecture in Mexico on environmental issues on November 4 2009 (as he likes to change his color from orange to green) with this little sentence: “Let me conclude by giving you a Mexican proverb.

“Camaron que se duerme se lo lleva la chingada”.
(intended as “a shrimp that is sleeps is washed away by the tide”)

The rather short speech (a full copy can be found on the web-site of the Dutch Royal House and I kept a copy in PDF format just in case the translation may be lost for posterity) had some other references to the Aztec empire as “children of the sun” linking that to solar energy and the natural partnership of Mexico and the Netherlands as providers of oil and gas and at the same cautioning his audience about the needed restraint in its usage. The word “chingada” does appear in the official State Information Service (RVD) both on the Royals House web site and elsewhere signed © RVD .

It had to be ‘corriente’ instead of ‘chingada’ with its historical connotation of violence as started by conquistador Cortes: molesting, pricking, wounding, killing, the violated mother and many more negative associations. The prince thus has created himself a new emblematic personality “THE SHRIMP PRINCE” or in Dutch PRINS GARNAAL (with its connotation of the word Prinsgemaal, the Dutch attribute given to the husband of a queen).

========

Dit zijn de openingszinnen van een verslag van een lange zoektocht naar het hoe en waarom van de woorden van de tong van de kroonprins in Mexico.

Verschillende scenarios worden geopperd en nagetrokken en op het eind volgt een onverwachte ontdekking die het gewraakte citaat mogelijk terugvoert tot de titel van een recent Mexicaans 'corrido' lied...

De grotesk domme, luie en foute weergave in de Nederlandse pers die de prins (weer) als slachtoffer weet af te schilderen wodt eveneens op de schop genomen en gedocumenteerd.

Dit alles rijkelijk geillustreerd te vinden op mijn web blog The Limping Messenger/De Hinmeknde bode op de volgende URL

http://limpingmessenger.wordpress.com/2009/11/06/prins-garnaal-in- mexico-the-shrimp-prince-in-mexico/

=====