Marieke Istha on Thu, 20 Mar 2008 13:05:45 +0100 (CET)

[Nettime-nl] ARTIST in RESIDENCE [AiR] 2008 -- OPEN CALL FOR SUBMISSIONS

ARTIST in RESIDENCE [AiR] 2008 at the Netherlands Media Art Institute

OPEN CALL FOR SUBMISSIONS

+ + DEADLINE: 15 APRIL 2008 + +

in brief:

*residency period from 2 to 5 months

*starting dates from June to November 2008

*location Amsterdam, Netherlands

The Netherlands Media Art Institute is pleased to announce an open call
for the summer and autumn 2008 period of its Artist in Residence (AiR)
programme.

The AiR programme at the Netherlands Media Art Institute aims to support
the exploration and development of new work in
digital/interactive/network media and technology based arts practice.
The residency provides time and resources to artists in a supportive
environment to facilitate the creation of new work. We encourage a
cross-disciplinary, hybrid and experimental approach. This is a practice
based residency designed to enable the development and/or completion of
a new work. Preferably the production is based on open source software.

The overall topic for the 2008 exhibition period at the NIMk is
'Democracy'. In the light of this we particularly encourage proposals
tackling societal issues and supporting the idea of active
participation, free speech and debate in democratic society.
Please note that this focus is not obligatory and that other proposals
are welcome, too.

The Netherlands Media Art Institute offers an open environment with
technical assistance and an active advisory board which will give
feedback and support in technical, conceptual and presentation issues.
There is access to studio and exhibition equipment,
technical support from the Institute's staff and production help from
interns. The technical staff is specialized and has good contacts with
programmers of the following software, a.o.: PD/PDP, Blender, Dynebolic,
Linux. We expect the artist to have knowledge and insight in the
technical realisation of the concept.

It is integral to the mission of the AiR program that artists
participate in presenting their work in a public form appropriate to
their project. This can include gallery installations, demonstrations of
research in progress, panel discussions, on-line projects, or multimedia
performances, in addition to open studio events and workshops. For this
reason we ask that artists include in their proposal possible examples
of how they might like to present their work publicly.

At this moment the Netherlands Media Art Institute provides in travel
costs. It doesn’t provide accommodation for artists living outside of
Amsterdam. However, we are willing to help the search but cannot
guarantee a place for living.

We prefer applications via the NIMk website, using the application form.
See http://www.montevideo.nl/nl/onderzoek/aanvraagform.html

For further information please contact Susanne Jaschko at susanne@nimk.nl.

Netherlands Media Art Institute
Keizersgracht 264