Image Science on Thu, 11 Oct 2007 15:55:23 +0200 (CEST)

Re: [Nettime-nl] DANUBE TELELECTURE : Remixing Cinema : Lev Manovich / Sean Cubitt

dear geert,

The event will be streamed live online, so that anyone in the
Netherlands interested in Media Art, Cinema or Screen Culture with
internet access can watch and participate. Since the Netherlands is in
the same time zone, 19:00 on a Thursday is in a rather comfortable
setting for the international community. During Telelecture #2 we had a
group pose a question from an internet cafe in Indonesia where it was 2
in the morning.

best regards,
Wendy
scientific staff at the department for image science

>>> Geert Lovink <geert@xs4all.nl> 10.10.2007 10:26:04 >>>
i am sorry but why do you post this to a dutch list that deals with
events and discussions in the netherlands? geert

On 10 Oct 2007, at 9:25 AM, Image Science wrote:

> The DEPARTMENT FOR IMAGE SCIENCE  presents:
>
> => REMIXING CINEMA: FUTURE AND PAST OF MOVING IMAGES <=
> Danube TeleLecture #4: Thursday, Nov 8, 2007 - 7pm CET
> Live debate at the MUMOK in Vienna
>
> Lev MANOVICH, internationally renowned media and art theorist
> (Russia/USA)
> Sean CUBITT, expert in film and media theory (Great
Britain/Australia)

> Cinema as a visual phenomenon has accelerated increasingly over the
> last decades. Technical achievements at the material level like new
> participatory models driven by the melting of Internet, Databases,
TV
> and Cinema are setting new standards and bringing a new dynamic to
the
> black-box of the movie theater.
> Remixing, Coding, Remapping, and Recombination of visual
manifestations
> are revolutionizing the narrative form of film - new societal
> phenomena,
> like the VJ scene, generate immersive viewing spaces and new forms
of
> moving image distribution. The domain of video, film, computer and
> net-based installations stands on the threshold of a material
> revolution: do they bring a new aesthetic?
> Revolutionary possibilities in camera and projection techniques
offer
> increasingly faster development cycles that also allow for
innovative
> image languages. New historical perspectives of the cinematic revue
> coalesce with innovative interpretations of our visual consumer
culture
> and foretell future developments. What can be expected ... what are
the
> consequences?
>
> * Introduction:  Oliver GRAU, Director Department for Image Science,
> Danube University *
>
> Danube TeleLecture # 4  from the MUMOK, MuseumsQuartier, Vienna
> Time: Thursday, Nov 8, 2007, 7:00pm CET (Start of Streaming)
>

> + You can attend the event in MUMOK or in realtime over the www +
> http://www.donau-uni.ac.at/dis
>
> After the lectures the audience will have the possibility to ask the
> speakers questions.
> Internet users may join the discussion via e-mail.
>
> => Sean CUBITT
> Current Publications: Projection: Vanishing and Becoming, in:
> MediaArtHistories (2007); The Cinema Effect (2005); Aliens R Us: The
> Other in Science Fiction Cinema (2002); Digital Aesthetics (1998);
> Videography: Video Media as Art and Culture (1993).
>
> => Lev MANOVICH
> Publications: Abstraction and Complexity in: MediaArtHistories
(2007);
> Black Box : White Cube (2005; Soft Cinema - Navigating the Database
> (2003/5); The Language of New Media (2001)
>
> The Department for Image Science at Danube University Krems created
> new format of international lecture and debates on key questions of
> Image Science and Media Art with high-caliber experts - the DANUBE
> TELELECTURES. The discussion will be recorded by several cameras and
> transmitted live over the www. Online viewers can participate in the
> discussion via email. So far the debates have included: Machiko
> KUSAHARA, Sarat MAHARAJ, Gunalan NADARAJAN, Christiane PAUL, Paul
> SERMON, Jens HAUSER...
>

> contact: Wendy Coones, M.Ed.
> Tel: +43 (0)2732 893-2543
> Wendy.Coones@donau-uni.ac.at
> http://www.donau-uni.ac.at/dis
>
> PARTNERS:
> MINISTRY FOR EDUCATION AND RESEARCH, DATABASE OF VIRTUAL ART,
AUSTRIAN
> BROADCASTING SERVICE LOWER AUSTRIA (ORF NOE)

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

> ::::::::::::::::
>
> DEPARTMENT FUER BILDWISSENSCHAFTEN prÃsentiert:
>
> => REMIXING CINEMA: ZUKÃNFTE UND VERGANGENHEIT DES KINOS <=
> Danube TeleLecture #4: am Do, 8. Nov. 2007, 19 Uhr CET
> Debatte live aus dem MUMOK in Wien
>
> mit Lev MANOVICH, international renommierter Medien- und
> Kunsttheoretiker, (R/US)
> & Sean CUBITT, internationaler Experte Film- und Medientheorie
> (GB/AUS)
>

> => REMIXING CINEMA: ZUKUENFTE UND VERGANGENHEIT DES KINOS <=
> (TELELECTURE # 4)
>
> Das Kino ist in den letzten Jahren unuebersehbar in Bewegung
geraten.
> Technische Errungenschaften auf materieller Ebene, sowie neue
> partizipatorische Modelle angetrieben von der Verschmelzung von
> Internet, Datenbank, TV und Kino setzen neue MaÃstaebe und bringen
neue
> Dynamik in die Black-Box des Kinos.
> Remixing, Codierungen, Remapping und Rekombination visueller
> Erscheinungsformen revolutionieren auch die narrative Form des Films
-
> neue gesellschaftliche Phaenomene, wie die VJ-Szene entstehen und
mit
> ihnen immersive Zuschauerraeume und neue Formen der Distribution von
> Bewegtbildern. Video-, film-, computer- und netz-basierte
> Installationen
> stehen unter Einwirkung einer Materialrevolution. Bringt diese auch

> eine
> neue Aesthetik?
> Rasche Entwicklungszyklen ermoeglichen neue Kamera- und
> Projektionstechnik, die auch innovative Bildsprachen erlauben. Neue
> historische Perspektiven auf die Revue des Kinos verbinden sich mit
> innovativen Interpretationen unserer visuellen Konsumgesellschaft
und
> nehmen kuenftige Entwicklungen vorweg, welche Auswirkungen sind zu
> erwarten?
>
> EinfÃhrung:  Oliver GRAU, Leitung Department fÃr Bildwissenschaften,
> Donau-Universitaet
>
> Danube TeleLecture # 4  aus dem MUMOK, MuseumsQuartier, Wien
> Zeit: Do, 8. Nov. 2007, 17.00h CET (Start Streaming)
>
> => Sean CUBITT
> Aktuelle Veroeffentlichungen: Projection: Vanishing and Becoming,
in:
> MediaArtHistories (2007); The Cinema Effect (2005); Aliens R Us: The
> Other in Science Fiction Cinema (2002); Digital Aesthetics (1998);
> Videography: Video Media as Art and Culture (1993).
>
> => Lev MANOVICH
> Veroeffentlichungen: Abstraction and Complexity in:
MediaArtHistories
> (2007); Black Box : White Cube (2005; Soft Cinema - Navigating the
> Database (2003/5); The Language of New Media (2001)
>

> + Die Veranstaltung kann LIVE im WWW verfolgt werden +
>
> http://www.donau-uni.ac.at/dbw
>
> Nach den Vortraegen besteht Gelegenheit, per mail live in die
Debatte
> einzugreifen.
>
> Das Department fÃr Bildwissenschaften der Donau-UniversitÃt
entwickelt
> mit den DANUBE TELELECTURES ein neuartiges internationales und
> interaktives Format von VortrÃgen und Debatten herausragender
Experten