Josephine Bosma on Wed, 3 Sep 2003 19:08:38 +0200 (CEST)

[Nettime-nl] ars electronica catalogus teksten preview online

Van netartreview.net geplukt. Er is een 'illegale' website
gevonden met de teksten van de catalogus van de Ars
Electronica editie van dit jaar 'Code'. De catalogus wordt officieel
pas dit weekend gepresenteerd dacht ik.

Where so far radical political net art works were limited to making available already existing copyrighted material on the net, like for example 0100101110101101.org copy of hell.com. A group(?) called "The Boiler" seems to go even further and claims that it put a pirated version of the upcoming printed Ars Electronica catalogue 2003 online. What makes this action so special is that the catalogue has yet to appear in print, which will be probably somewhere this month when the actual festival is held. Of course you can question the actual art value of this action and also there can be made some reservations about the genuity of the writings. Though the few writings I read like Christiane Paul's text about CODeDOC II or John Maeda's "The Infinite Loop" look genuine to me. Fact is that the borders with work that deal with publishing copyrighted material seem not yet reached and that this kind of work seems to have found in the internet the perfect medium.

The Ars Electronica 2003 catalogue texts by amongst others Marc Canter, Florian Cramer, Alexander Galloway & Eugene Thacker, Christiane Paul, Scott deLahunta, Fred von Lohmann, John Maeda, Laurent Mignonneau and Christa Sommerer can be accessed through http://eric4511.tripod.com*.

*note: When I checked back the url the first 2 mirrors seemed to be down.

maar mirror 3 werkte toen ik het checkte! groet,

*