Floor van Spaendonck on Tue, 2 Sep 2003 13:44:42 +0200 (CEST)

[Nettime-nl] livestream H.Rheingold Smartmobs

Live-registratie van presentatie:  H. Rheingold -SMARTMOBS is nu te volgen
op http://connect.waag.org

>Datum:         Dinsdag 2 september 03
>Tijd:              14.00 uur
>Lokatie;        Theatrum Anatomicum- Waag Society
>Reserveren!   floor@waag.org
>---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
>Howard Rheingold gaat dinsdagmiddag tijdens een gesprek olv Marleen
>Stikker in op zijn boek Smartmobs-  De discussie is informeel opgezet
>(beperkt aantal stoelen) dus graag reserveren .
>
>Onderstaande Engelse tekst is een korte samenvatting van zijn boek.
>
>Title:  "Smart Mobs: Mobile Communication, Pervasive Computing, and
>Collective Action"
>
>Short abstract:
>Smart mobs emerge when communication and computing technologies amplify
>human talents for cooperation. The impacts of smart mob technology already
>appear to be both beneficial and destructive, used by some of its earliest
>adopters to support democracy and by others to coordinate terrorist attacks.
>
>The technologies that make smart mobs possible are mobile communication
>devices and pervasive computing - inexpensive microprocessors embedded in
>everyday objects and environments. Already, governments have fallen, youth
>subcultures have blossomed from Asia to Scandinavia, new industries have
>been born and older industries have launched furious counterattacks.
>
>Street demonstrators in the 1999 anti-WTO protests used dynamically
>updated websites, cell-phones, and "swarming" tactics in the "battle of
>Seattle." A million Filipinos toppled President Estrada through public
>demonstrations organized through salvos of text messages.
>
>The pieces of the puzzle are all around us now, but haven't joined
>together yet. The radio chips designed to replace barcodes on manufactured
>objects are part of it. Wireless Internet nodes in cafes, hotels, and
>neighborhoods are part of it. Millions of people who lend their computers
>to the search for extraterrestrial intelligence are part of it. The way
>buyers and sellers rate each other on Internet auction site eBay is part
>of it. Research by biologists, sociologists, and economists into the
>nature of cooperation offer explanatory frameworks.
>
>The people who make up smart mobs cooperate in ways never before possible
>because they carry devices that possess both communication and computing
>capabilities. Their mobile devices connect them with other information
>devices in the environment as well as with other people's telephones.
>Dirt-cheap microprocessors embedded in everything from box tops to shoes
>are beginning to permeate furniture, buildings, neighborhoods, products
>with invisible intercommunicating smartifacts. When they connect the
>tangible objects and places of our daily lives with the Internet, handheld
>communication media could mutate into wearable remote control devices for
>the physical world.

> [...]

Waag Society / for old and new media | nieuwmarkt 4 | NL-1012 CR Amsterdam
e: floor@waag.org |  t: +31 20 557 9898 | f: +31 20 557 9880 |
http://www.waag.org   http://connected.waag.org