Jaap on Thu, 30 Aug 2001 14:28:44 +0200 (CEST)

[Nettime-nl] Join ASCII in action this friday

what:  first digital protest against 900% rent increase
where: Stopera, Gemeente Amsterdam - Waterloo Plain
when:  starting around 13:00 hours, meet in ASCII

Dear citizens and netizens of Amsterdam,

A month ago Woningbedijf Amsterdam, in cooperation with Gemeente Amsterdam,
decided to get rid of all non-profit places in the centre of Amsterdam,
by asking a rent increase of 900%. Alternative bookshop Het Fort van Sjakoo
and ASCII Internetworkplace, threatened with such high and unacceptable
rent, will react against that unwise move in various ways starting this
Friday 13:00 in front of the Stopera. As we are an open and public space,
and everyone can enter the ASCII, we decided to surface ASCII in front of
the City Hall. As in our basement under the Fort van Sjakoo, we will provide
free, open Internet access, and do Open Source propaganda and open-air Linux
courses, while the GCA (Gender-Changing Academy) will demonstrate how to open
a computer.

At 18:00 hours we will do our regular news-hour, on location...

So we invite YOU to join us in our protest and raise your voice against
market driven greed in rent increases - Amsterdam is niet te koop!!

ASCII Internetwerkplaats
Jodenbreestraat 24
1011 NK Amsterdam
http://squat.net/ascii