TRANSnews on Tue, 2 Dec 2003 02:27:58 +0100 (CET)

[nettime-lat] Lovett/Codagnone at NADA Art Fair

PERFORMANCE by LOVETT/CODAGNONE
For You

The NADA Art Fair 2003:Miami Beach
1691 Michigan Avenue, between 17th Street and Lincoln Road, Miami Beach

Performance schedule:
Thursday, December 4, 2pm
Saturday, December 6, 6pm
Sunday, December 7, 2pm

Presented by PARTICIPANT INC and TRANS>area

contact: LiaGang@hotmail.com
contact:  trans@transmag.org
www.transmag.org

PARTICIPANT INC and TRANS >area are pleased to announce a live performance by
Lovett/Codagnone, For You , at the NADA Art Fair 2003: Miami Beach.

On a rotating round platform (like a music box) the artists are constrained in a
pose derived from a Tango. They are wearing costumes typical of Tango dancers:
white shirts and high-waisted black dress pants. Their arms and opposing legs
are bound by elements of their costumes (the shirt ties), designed to force them
to maintain the dance position. Their leading hands are held together by the
joining of the artists' shirt cuffs with their cufflinks (see video).
A special double-edged knife designed by the artists is used in the performance.
The knife bears an inscription on each side, engraved with the title of the
piece: FOR YOU. The knife is held simultaneously in the mouths of both artists
for the duration of the performance, creating a tension between the artists
while helping them maintain the pose from which the performance was inspired.

Tango was traditionally danced by two men and often had a knife as part of the
ritual. Jorge Luis Borges wrote about this tradition of tango in “Evaristo
Carriego,” published in 1933. Libertango by Astor Piazzola mixed with a text by
Jorge Luis Borges (translated text follows) about the nature of Tango is read in
Spanish by curator and critic Octavio Zaya and constitutes the soundtrack for
the performance.

The erotic nature of tango has been perceived by many, not so its litigious
temperament. It is true that they both are modes or manifestations of an
identical impulse, and hence the word man, in all the languages I know,
indicates sexual capacity and bellicose capacity at once, and the word virtus,
which means courage in Latin, derives from vir, which is the male. Likewise, on
one of Kim's pages an Afghan declares: “When I was fifteen, I had shot my man
and begot my man,” as if the two acts were, essentially, one sole act .
The
Litigious tango, Jorge Luis Borges

about the NADA Art Fair 2003:Miami Beach
THE NADA ART FAIR 2003: Miami Beach, is a groundbreaking collaborative effort
bringing together 40 top innovative contemporary art galleries and non-profit
spaces from around the world.

Thursday, Dec. 4 -- Sunday, Dec. 7, 2003: 1 pm – 8 pm
1691 Michigan Avenue, between 17th Street and Lincoln Road
contact www.newartdealers.org or email nadanyc@hotmail.com.

about PARTICIPANT INC
PARTICIPANT INC is a not-for-profit alternative art space, dedicated to the
presentation of artists' work in all mediums.

about TRANS >area
TRANS>area is a non-profit space in Chelsea, New York City. TRANS>area offers
first solo exhibitions to artists. The program of TRANS>area is sponsored by The
Andy Warhol Foundation.