Regina Célia Pinto on Wed, 13 Nov 2002 20:20:02 +0100 (CET)

[nettime-lat] Project and news

The project of the Museum of the Essential and Beyond That (
http://www.arteonline.arq.br ), justifying the beyond that in its name, is
fast becoming a cultural center where a mouse click offers both a museum and
a place for creation and communication where the visual arts are joined by
music, filmmaking (animation), poetry, books and audiovisual research. "This
characteristic is related to the aim of modern-day art, which is to embody
in its works certain new forms of beauty that could only emerge through the
reconvergence of all techniques"  and technologies... Since its inception,
at this museum, this reconvergence has been present in its watchwords:
communication, information, multidisciplinarity, multiculturalism and
mobility. Science and technology embracing art to protect it and give it the
necessary conditions for life and growth.

Visiting the museum, do not forget of browsing this page:
http://www.arteonline.arq.br/museu/news.htm , there you will know what is
new: new rooms, new books, new essays, new articles ... (Visit our library!)

Below, part of our project:

Everything is always perfect in the virtual cities found on the Internet,
but the Museum of the Essential and Beyond That's space does not work that
way. Instead, its operations aim at fulfilling the dictates of the principle
of reality. For example, tragedy and its esthetic or things we really do not
want to think about, have been shifted (with a touch of morbid humor) to the
basement. Bit by bit, we intend to place some problems in the Museum
building, because we do not intent it to become an aseptic parody of a real
museum. We predict the need to restore this cultural machine once it has
become the victim of its own success and the enormous number of visitors it
attracts. Every once in a while, a room or gallery could be shut down for
repairs. The Museum's order could also be disturbed by power struggles
involving both political power and that of feudal corporations, so common in
institutions of this kind.

If you want to know more about the museum's project, browser
http://www.arteonline.arq.br/project.htm

Regina