Erick Iriarte on Wed, 27 Mar 2002 00:03:02 +0100 (CET)

[nettime-lat] Proyecto GIC: Group of Internationalization of Cyberspace

De mi mayor consideracion:

En: http://www.alfa-redi.org/gic/

Podran encontrar la informacion del proyecto que James Graham ha comenzado
sobre un Grupo para la Internacionalizacion del Cyberespacio, en aras de
plantear la Internacionalización del Cyberespacio como solución en temas de
Jurisdicción y Legislación aplicables.

La información conceptual, asi como documentos y otros de este proyecto se
encuentran en la dirección indicada.

Este es uno de los proyectos que se estan poniendo en practica, surgidos en
el seno de la Comunidad Alfa-Redi.

Con el ruego de que puedan difundir esta informacion.

Saludos

Erick Iriarte Ahon
Comunidad Alfa-Redi
http://www.alfa-redi.org

History of Group of Internationalization of Cyberspace
http://www.alfa-redi.org/gic/beta.asp
http://www.alfa-redi.org/gic/

Dear Internet user,

The present initiative aims to resolve most of the actual legal problems
that are discussed on national and international level. Internet being
transnational by its nature, regulators do accord that there is a real need
for some international legislation. However, their will of protection of
sovereignty does not permit today to find a global solution. Although, some
treaties have been achieved (e.g. the Cybercrime Treaty of the European
Council) or will be achieved (e.g. the Jurisdiction Convention of the
Conference of the Hague), no international organization does treat Internet
and its issues as a whole. Beneath specific topics like e-signatures or
cybercrimes, there are other issues like the digital divide and the respect
of fundamental freedoms.

Most of the Internet users do consider themselves as belonging to a global
community and do consider that Internet is mere than just some
telecommunication network; in their view they do consider Internet as a
space - Cyberspace.

We do have already in practice a regime that functions well: the status of
the High Sea with its 1982 Montego Bay Convention and its established
Authority. Such a mechanism fits well to Cyberspace: on one hand States'
sovereignty is well-kept; on the other hand, Cyberspace will remain free
and will be regulated by consensus of the International Community. However,
on the contrary to the Montego Bay system, Cyberspace's Authority should
also include, beneath State representation, representatives of the Internet
Community.

A first step has been made in this direction with the establishment of
ICANN. However, for one part, its goal is limited to DNS problems, and, for
other part, there is no real equal representation.

The Internationalization of Cyberspace could be beneficial to all Internet
users may they be States, organizations, merchants or individuals. That's
why we invite you to support the present Resolution. Once adopted by the
the First World Congress for Cyberlaw, we will look for the largest support
possible for the resolution among the today established organizations and
among the Internet Community as a whole. In a second step, we will direct
the resolution to the Secretary general of the United Nations and to local
governments.

The resolution does not aim to give answers to all questions; it does not
correspond to a fixed program; it does not represent a mainstream ideology.
The resolution has only for objective to initiate a debate at the highest
level. The supporters of the following resolution are not bound by its
content, but do express their contentment to an objective: an equal,
non-discriminative share of a global space to the benefits of all.

In the future there might be adoption of other resolutions, which might
slightly change in form and content, reflecting thus the echo of the
supporter group, without, however, deviate from its initial goal.

We do count on your support through your participation of the Group for the
Internationalization of Cyberspace (GIC).

Please express your support through mailing to gic@alfa-redi.org.de with
the mention "I do support the Resolution of Quito" and your coordinates.

If you have any comment please send a mail to: gic@alfa-redi.org or
jgraham@alfa-redi.org

mail to: gic-quito-subscribe@egroups.com)

Sincerely yours