Evan Henshaw-Plath on Fri, 31 Dec 1999 02:34:02 +0100 (CET)

<nettime> Re: Lessons from Seattle

I think you're right, the real battle is in the minds of the apathetic and
apolitical masses. We can only efficiently reach them through the media.
The problem is that the same mass media which focused on the vandalism,
will never focus on presenting our message. Corporate and proto-corporate
media have as much interest in the advancing of the WTO's goals as
industrial giants.  Because of this we can not expect to be anything but
demonized by the corporate media. It is only though building our own
independent democratic media that we can expect to talk about the issues.

The Indy Media Center, www.indymedia.org, played an important roll in
creating a media which will represent our views. Single action media as
well as sustained anti-commercial news from groups such as the Direct
Action Media Network, damn.tao.ca, are starting to build this new media.
This is an important component in extending the successes that came out of
the N30 protests.

I don't think we should or could contain the vandalism in Seattle by
force. There were people who tried to physically stop the vandalism, they
tried to turn the perpetrators in to the cops, and failed to help the
situation. If we are going to reject property damage as being outside the
range of acceptable non-violent direct action then we need to do it
through the power of our argument, not our fists.

The vandalism was picked up by the corporate media and used to attack and
discredit the anti-wto cause. If there hadn't been vandalism they would
have attempted to dismiss the protests some other way. We never even had
the potential of getting our critique of corporate globalization in to the
corporate media. It just wasn't going to happen.

In Solidarity,
Rabble-Rouser