owner-nettime-l on Fri, 19 Nov 1999 18:15:26 +0100 (CET)

No Subject

Thu, 18 Nov 1999 16:22:11 -0500
From: Jonathan Peizer <JPeizer@sorosny.org>
To: nettime-l@bbs.thing.net
Subject: <nettime> FW: Global Y2K / Tool Kits
Sender: owner-nettime-l@bbs.thing.net

I would like your help in distributing information about a Y2K toolset
web site:

http://www.interaction.org

When you get to this home page at the top right  click on:

                   Y2K
                   Y2K Toolkits for
                   International NGO's - Now
                   Available for Order

You can help people deal more effectively with Y2K issues by
simply E-Mailing this message to others who you feel would
find the Y2K management tools on this site beneficial.
What makes the toolkit unique is that it was created with
issues of developing countries in mind and deals with areas
beyond simply system failures. I also think it is unique in
that it deals not only with Y2K preparedness  and contingecy
planning but also with remediation and disaster recovery AFTER
problems have occured.

While OSI did not participate in the toolkit's development,
when we heard about it recently we did agree to help disseminate
it to those who might find it useful by e-mailing our network of
friends and telling them of its existance.

My understanding is that toolkit was actually developed by a grant
to AID.

Sincerely

Jonathan Peizer
Chief Information Officer / Internet Program Director
Open Society Institute

ABOUT THE TOOLKIT

The Y2K Management Tool Kits provide practical, comprehensive management
tools for remediation, contingency planning, community readiness and
emergency preparedness.  They are generic "tool kits" that capture the
necessary fundamental steps, are designed to "fast-track" and facilitate the
work at all levels, shortening the calendar and manpower time needed to
implement them.  They can be used by organizations, information managers,
system users and community readiness leaders.

The Tool Kits can also be used to remedy systems after they have crashed,
while the system users rely on the alternatives they selected during their
contingency planning phase.  The toolkits consist of paper- and CD-ROM-based
tools, easy-to-understand step-by-step procedures, decision-trees, automated
tools, and check-off lists.  They are designed to be stand-alone tools, easy
and efficient to implement, inexpensive to produce and easy to distribute
widely.

The Tool Kits can be used at any time in the sense that Y2K problems will
need to be fixed, even after the rollover, and several issues can be
addressed simultaneously.  We want people to think in terms of prevention
and anticipation now, and after the rollover, implemention of their
contingency plan while they remediate to shorten the time of distruption.
I'll be happy to get back with more details from Lawrence who worked on
the design.

In case someone wanted to see the outline, from www.interaction.org:

OUTLINE OF TOOL KIT CONTENTS:

 Management Overview, Tool #1
 Background
 Y2K problem, solution, urgency
 Forming Your Y2K Management Team
 Contents of Y2K Management Tool Kit
 How to Approach the Work
 Fast-Tracking
 Time Use and Urgency
 Flexibility
 Judgement
 How to Choose Your Tool
 Registration

 Organizational Systems Tool #2

 Planning for Contingencies
 Organization functions, external dependencies, partnerships
 Preparation needs, triggers, alternatives and restoration
 System Diagnosis and Remediation Decisions
 Inventories, compliance, remediation strategy decisions (including costs)
 Resource Allocation
 Implementation of Contingency and Remediation Plans
 Check-Off Lists: Infrastructural Equipment and Systems
 Work Sheets

 Socio-Economic Systems Tool #3

 Risk Inventory
 Critical Infrastructure
 Critical Economic Functions
 Contingency Planning
 Failure assessment (including survival time-horizons)
 Mitigation actions
 Sustaining actions
 Trigger events
 Risk Assessment
 Queries and estimates of risk; monitoring of Y2K efforts
 Contingency Plan Adjustment
 Risk assessment and Allocation of Resources
 Checklists and Work Sheets

 Community Readiness Tool #4

 Threat->Consequence->Indicators->Response Community-response +
Family/Individual-response
 Threats
 Electricity
 Heating Fuel