Mihajlo Acimovic on Thu, 11 Nov 1999 01:58:41 +0100 (CET)

<nettime> Chechnya (x2)

Good news. The second is I got a reply about Chechnya the first is that something is planned in Vienna about it. The No to war and nationalism (Nein zu Krieg und Nationalismus) platform had a meeting tonight about Chechnya. The main problem with Chechnya is that nobody has so far had any information from there, except from the mainstream media. Nobody knows anybody who lives even near there. But I am hoping that will change. no to war and nationalism had a demo in front of the Russian embassy recently. Exactly 7 people were present. But they got invited inside for some hot Russian tea (it was cold outside anyway). The embassy people were really nice to them and since nobody really knows about Chechnya, except from the official news, their arguments couldn't beat the arguments of the Russians.  They are invited for another tea, any time. I intend to be one of the people drinking it. So, tonight there was a meeting and WE are trying to collect as much information about Chechnya !
as possible and just publish them in the alternative Austrian media (Tatblatt, Friedolin's Befreiung, Radio Orange, etc.). We will try our best to find any live Chechnyan contacts. Contacts from anywhere else in the Caucasus region are also welcome. And if anyone knows somebody alternative in Montengro who has email, that would be wonderful. We are expecting a very possible war there within the next two years and we want that when the first fighting starts we have somebody who will co-sign an antiwar press release with us, send us full, uncensored information and so on. Contacts in Macedonia would also be nice, but hardly urgent. What I/we need is Albanian contacts in Macedonia. So far, the communication I have is only with Slavic people. These contacts are not just needed for press releases. The Deserteurs Und Fluechtlings Beratung (Deserters and refugees aid office) gives free legal aid to refugees, asylum seekers and other illegalised people. Though people who apply for asy!
lum in Austria are rejected by default, under whatever excuse avai
ormation on human rights abuses and on the real situation in war zones. For example, just recently, an asylum seeker from Kosov@ was refused asylum. He claimed that he was afraid of being mobilised by the UCK if he goes back. The authority answered that the UCK does not exist any more, that it was disbanded after the NATO troops came in. The person who was doing legal aid was confused and didn't have up to date information.
I had info, so I told her what was true. But there will be no one with info from Gruzija/Georgia, if some people from there ask for asylum and are rejected with the same kind of arguments. Then, there was another Albanian asylum seeker from Kosov@, and they reckognise there are terrible human rights abuses going on there, but they are disputing that he is from Kosov@... I mean, they could at least agree between each other what story they want to say...
Back to Chechnya:

The reply I got:

*begin fwded msg*
From: "amandine regamey" <amandine_r@hotmail.com>  To: "Alternative Network for Eastern Europe" <alter-ee@lyris.most.org.pl>

Web sites about Chechnya,
- about solidarity actions : http://www.ipb.org/conflict/russia_chechnya.htm
- various links about chechnya :
http://www.glasnet.ru/~ninis/dbase/english/dbase.htm
There is a lot on www.memo.ru too( Human Right defense organisation
"memorial)
There is a Chechen government official web site, www.amina.com, but it's
better not to have a look, unless you're fond of war propaganda and
photographs of fierce Chechen fighters

There is a "Comite Tchetchenie" in France and there must be a Chechen
delegation at the end of november in Strasbourg and Paris ... you
can write
to comitetchetchenie@hotmail.com, but most of the informations are in
french...
You can write to peacecenter@glas.apc.org, Center for peacemaking and Social
Development, I know there are doing something about the war, and organizing
this Chechen delegation to western Europe, but I don't really know who they
are (it must be some religious organisation).. maybe someone knows ?
In Georgia the Green party  has sent a lot of informations about
ecological
disaster: party@greens.org.ge

That's all I have...
Amandine