nettime_announcer on Sun, 24 Oct 1999 15:28:34 +0200 (CEST)

<nettime> announcer 99.43 [a]

                                                                   - - - - - - -
 . . .                                                             | 9 9 . 4 3 |
                                                                   - - - - - - -

                                                   <nettime> announcer   |  a <<
 - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - |  c

                                                                         - - - -
          Grzinic <margrz@ns.zrc-sazu.si> : Grzinic, project east-east   | 0 1 |
                                                                         - - - -
          Experimenta Media Arts <exp@mira.net> : ANNOUNCING MANIFESTO   | 0 2 |
                                                                         - - - -
                *spark <spark@spark-online.com> : CALL FOR SUBMISSIONS   | 0 3 |
                                                                         - - - -
      Dzemal Sokolovic <dzemal.sokolovic@isp.uib.no> : CALL FOR PAPERS   | 0 4 |
                                                                         - - - -
                  Sylvie Myerson <sandbox@echonyc.com> : ART VS. STATE   | 0 5 |
                                                                         - - - -
                   Artpool <artpool@artpool.hu> : FOOT-WARE invitation   | 0 6 |
                                                                         - - - -
        Ian Robert Douglas <ian_robert_douglas@brown.edu> : VIRTUALY2K   | 0 7 |
                                                                         - - - -

 - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - |

                                delivered each weekend into your inbox   |

                                        mailto:nettime-l@bbs.thing.net   |

                                                                         - - - -
 - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - | 0 1 |
                                                                         - - - -

NEW MEDIA ART AND THEORY FROM THE EAST
TOKYO - LJUBLJANA@2000
THE MUSEUM OF MODERN ART LJUBLJANA
NOVEMBER 2-7, 1999
EXHIBITION - SYMPOSIUM - SCREENINGS

INVITED JAPANESE ARTISTS AND SPEAKERS ARE LEADING NAMES IN THE FIELD OF
NEW MEDIA THEORY, FILM, POST-COLONIAL STUDIES, (INTERACTIVE) PHOTOGRAPHY:

MACHIKO KUSAHARA
CHIHIRO MINATO
TOSHIYA UENO

Special guest participant at the symposium EAST-EAST: SPACES, MEDIA and
BODIES (Museum of Modern Art, November 3, 1999) is Trinh T. Minh-ha,
Professor of Women's Studies and Film, University of California -
Berkeley, USA, and internationally known filmmaker. The Slovenian premiere
of Trinh T. Minh-ha's films will be held at the 10th Ljubljana
International Film Festival, Cankarjev dom, Cultural and Congress Center,
Ljubljana (November 5-19, 1999).

The project was conceived by MARINA GRZINIC (The Institute of Philosophy
ZRC SAZU, Ljubljana). Organization of the project: Museum of Modern Art,
Ljubljana (Nives Zalokar, Igor ©panjol). The project is supported by the
Ministry of Culture of Slovenia.

Partners who assisted in the realization of the project: MASKA, The
Journal for Performing Arts, Ljubljana (Mr. Emil Hrvatin,
Editor-in-Chief); Cankarjev dom, Cultural and Congress Center, Ljubljana
(Ms. Jelka Stergel, Director of the Film Festival; The Scientific and
Research Center of the Slovenian Academy of Science and Arts - Director's
fund, Ljubljana (Dr. Oto Luthar); JABOLKO, d.o.o.,Ljubljana (Mr. Gorazd
Norcic); The French Cultural Institute, Ljubljana (Dr. Christine Schell,
Director); Gallery Skuc, Ljubljana (Mr. Gregor Podnar, Chief Curator);
Slovenska Kinoteka (Mr. Silvan Furlan, Director).

The technical support for the exhibition is provided by JABOLKO, d.o.o.,
Ljubljana. The project is supported by GRAND HOTEL UNION, Ljubljana.

THE MAIN SPONSORS OF THE PROJECT ARE VIDEO PRODUKCIJA KREGAR (VPK),
Ljubljana and SUZUKI ODAR, d.o.o., Ljubljana.

Moderna galerija Ljubljana/The Museum of Modern Art

Direktorica/Director: Zdenka Badovinac
Tomsiceva 14, Ljubljana 1000, Slovenia
Tel. + 386 61 214 101; Fax + 386 61 214 120
Email: info@mg-lj.si

Marina Grzinic
Email: margrz@ns.zrc-sazu.si

NEW MEDIA ART AND THEORY FROM THE EAST

TOKYO - LJUBLJANA@2000

PROGRAM

November 2, 1999 (Tuesday)

At 11.00

Museum of Modern Art, Ljubljana

Press conference

At 20.00

Museum of Modern Art, Ljubljana

OPENING OF THE EXHIBITION

Installation of computer-processed photographs:

EVENTS, MEMORIES AND THE HIDDEN LIFE by CHIHIRO MINATO (Tokyo/Paris).

VIRTUAL BODY/VIRTUAL SPACE: screenings of videos and multimedia works, as well
as the presentation of CD-ROMs by Japanese artists, curated by MACHIKO KUSAHARA
(Tokyo).

The exhibition will be shown at the Museum of Modern Art until November 10,
1999.

November 3, 1999 (Wednesday)

>From 14.00 to 19.30

Museum of Modern Art, Ljubljana

Symposium EAST-EAST: SPACES, MEDIA and BODIES

Symposium program:

14.00 - 15.00

Marina Grzinic: Introductory notes and thesis for the symposium

(MARINA GRZINIC is philosopher and multimedia artist, Ljubljana.)

15.00 -16.00.

Toshiya Ueno on experiences of the existence of hybrid culture - rave culture,
inter-East condition, Diaspora and post-colonialism

(TOSHIYA UENO is sociologist of hybrid culture and writer who teaches at Wako
University, Tokyo.)

16.00 - 17.00

Machiko Kusahara on artificial life and multimedia games

(MACHIKO KUSAHARA is a curator and media researcher who teaches at Kobe
University, and is a jury member of the Interactive Category at ARS ELECTRONICA,
Linz.)

17.00-17.30 coffee break

17.30 -18.30

Trinh T. Minh-ha on the Inappropriate/d Other and other stories

(Professor TRINH T. MINH-HA teaches Women's Studies and Film at the University
of California - Berkeley, USA, and is an internationally known writer and
filmmaker.)

18.30-19.30

Chihiro Minato on the actualization of photography in relation to new media

(Photographer, multimedia artist, writer and Assoc. Prof. CHIHIRO MINATO teaches
at Tama Arts University, Tokyo.)

November 4, 1999 (Thursday)

At 16.00

Museum of Modern Art, Ljubljana

Chihiro Minato and Machiko Kusahara: presentation of the exhibited projects

At 18.30

Gallery Skuc Ljubljana (Stari trg 21, Ljubljana)

Press conference with Trinh T. Minh-ha, held by Jelka Stergel: Presentation of
Trinh T. Minh-ha film program at the 10th Ljubljana International Film Festival
(Cankarjev dom, November 5-19, 1999).

At 20.00

Gallery Skuc Ljubljana

Lecture by Trinh T. Minh-ha on film theory, her own film works and related
topics.

At 21.00

Gallery Skuc Ljubljana

Lecture by Toshiya Ueno on Japanimation in relation to film and philosophy.

November 5, 1999 (Friday)

At 18.00

Slovenska Kinoteka (Miklosiceva 38, Ljubljana)

10th Ljubljana International Film Festival:

TRIBUTE TO TRINH T. MINH-HA

Trinh T. Min-ha: A Tale of Love, 1995, 108 min.

Prior to the film screening by TRINH T. MINH-HA, the author will give an
introductory presentation of the film.

At 21.30

10th Ljubljana International Film Festival

Cankarjev dom, Ljubljana (Presernova 10, Ljubljana), Kosovelova dvorana

(hall)

TRIBUTE TO TRINH T. MINH-HA

Naked Spaces - Living is Round, West Africa, 1985, 135 min.

Prior to the film screening by TRINH T. MINH-HA, the author will give an
introductory presentation of the film.

November 6, 1999 (Saturday)

At 21.30

10th Ljubljana International Film Festival

Cankarjev dom, Ljubljana (Presernova 10, Ljubljana), Kosovelova dvorana

TRIBUTE TO TRINH T. MINH-HA

Shoot for The Contents, China-USA, 1991, 102 min.

Prior to the film screening by TRINH T. MINH-HA, the author will give an
introductory presentation of the film.

November 7, 1999 (Sunday)

At 21.30

10th Ljubljana International Film Festival

Cankarjev dom (Presernova 10, Ljubljana), Kosovelova dvorana

TRIBUTE TO TRINH T. MINH-HA

Surname Viet Given Name Nam, 1989, 108 min.

                                                                         - - - -
 - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - | 0 2 |
                                                                         - - - -

ANNOUNCING MANIFESTO

Curated by Keely Macarow, MANIFESTO comprises four digital media arts
events for your pleasure and engagement, MANIFESTO is a salute to new
possibilities within Australia and International media arts culture.

You are invited to attend the opening of MANIFESTO - at Span Galleries
at 6pm on Wednesday November 3.

THE MANIFESTO EVENTS

MANIFESTO Opening - Span Gallery, 6pm on Wednesday November 3.
Time Capsule Launch Off - Span Gallery, 2pm on Saturday November 13.
Time Capsule Exhibition: 2 - 13 November 1999 at Span Galleries, 45
Flinders Lane, Melbourne. Gallery hours Monday - Friday, 11am - 5pm &
Saturday 11am - 4pm
Zen Cinema - Screening Program: 7.30 pm, 11November at
Cinemedia@Treasury Theatre, Lower Plaza, 1 Macarthur Place, East
Melbourne.
hothouse - online media laboratory: distribution list from 25 October at
www..experimenta.org
Mesh 13: Cyberbully - Critical online digital media journal: from 3
November 1999 at www.experimenta.org

1. Time Capsule ...the future is the present
Eight digital media artworks have been chosen for inclusion in the
Experimenta Media Arts Time Capsule for the stories, dreams and
sensibilities they represent. The works will be exhibited over a two
week period and then archived into the purpose built time capsule.

Artists: Brook Andrew, Bureau of Inverse Technology, Brenda L Croft,
KIT, Chris Knowles, Virginia Hilyard & Varsha Nair, Joyce Hinterding and
reTarded eye. The Time Capsule is designed by Lilford/Smith

2. Zen Cinema ...the present is the past
Zen Cinema surveys and celebrates inspirational and definitive avant
-garde and experimental films and videos that have been produced
throughout the 20th Century.

Spanning short film and video works by the mavericks and luminaries of
experimental cinema over the last 100 years; Zen Cinema is essential
viewing for audiences that are priming their imaginations for the screen
culture of the 21st Century.

Directors being screened include: Kenneth Anger, Martin Arnold, Yann
Beauvais, Sadie Benning, Stan Brakhage, Abigail Child, Bruce Conner,
Maya Deren, Rose Delavy & Marcel Duchamp, Nam June Paik & Jud Yalkut,
George Kuchar, Malcom Le Grice, Len Lye, Man Ray, Carole Schneeman,
Woody & Steina Vasulka & Paul Winkler.

3. Mesh 13: Cyberbully
Experimenta Media Artsí online journal at www.experimenta.org promoting
critical debate on film, video, digital media, sound, installation and
performance art.

Mesh 13: Cyberbully critiques the hype of cyberspace by probing the
cyberbullies lurking in the electronic frontier and reviewing arts
projects in Australia and internationally.  Available online from 3
November 1999 and throughout 2000.

4. hothouse Öthe present is
An internet based media laboratory at www.experimenta.org to explore the
potential for growth of media based arts at the threshold of culture and
the 21st Century.

Planting the seeds of discussion in the hothouse at www.experimenta.org,
beginning with a discussion list available to subscribe to from 25
October 1999 and sprouting a web based collaboration from 3 November
1999 and into 2000 between a range of contributing artists, critics and
cultural activists. hothouse will nurture dialogue, sprout ideas and
blossom artworks producing hybrid possibilities towards a media arts
MANIFESTO.

MANIFESTO is proudly supported by ? Experimenta Media Arts, Cinemedia,
Australian Film Commission, Arts Victoria, City of Melbourne, AFTRS,
Swinburne TAFE, Swinburne University & RMIT.

EXPERIMENTA MEDIA ARTS exhibits and promotes media arts that explore new
aesthetic, conceptual and technological boundaries.

9th October - 21st November:
25 SONGS ON 25 LINES OF WORDS ON ART STATEMENT FOR SEVEN VOICES AND
DANCE
Australian Centre for Contemporary Art
presented in collaboration with ACCA

Thursday 21st October:
Convergence Forum: Simulation Culture
OPENChannel

Experimenta Staff:
Artistic Director: Keely Macarow
Executive Officer: Jacinta Nancarrow
Project Co-ordinator: Steven Ball

www.experimenta.org

Experimenta Media Arts gratefully acknowledges the support of the
Australian Film Commission, Cinemedia, Arts Victoria and the City of
Melbourne.

                                                                         - - - -
 - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - | 0 3 |
                                                                         - - - -

CALL FOR SUBMISSIONS - *spark - exploring electronic consciousness...
http://www.spark-online.com

interested parties, please contact - spark@spark-online.com

This is the formal call for submissions to the third edition of
*spark-online.  We are asking that contributing writers submit
an article between 400 and 1000 words no later than November 5,
1999 We will not be accepting any articles after this date for
the December 1, 1999 publication.  Late submissions, will however,
be considered for the next month's issue.   Some writers will
be asked to submit a specific article on a specific topic.
Otherwise, you are free to write about anything relating to the
publication.  Please be aware, however, of the magazine's format
when choosing your subject matter.  Articles pertaining to the
overall magazine format will not necessarily be considered first,
however, they will certainly be given extra attention, considering
publication's needs.

We have had a very successful first issue, with approximately 1000
visitors each day and growing exponentially.  Thanks again for
considering www.spark-online.com as a home for your creative instincts.
We hope that we will serve your own particular intellectual vision well.

interested parties, please contact - spark@spark-online.com

*spark is an online magazine, published monthly on the internet.  It
will follow a rough outline of ideas that relate to the world of electronic
communication, and how we as individuals, exist within the world that it is
attempting to foist upon us.  Capitalism, or course, isn't necessarily evil,
or bad.  It just attempts to appeal to the masses in order to turn a profit.
Thus, we find that our entertainment consists of fighting, feeding and
fucking (the limbic, or primitive drives).  Things all humans innately
understand.  Yet, we here at *spark also believe that humanity is more than
the sum of our animal instincts.  We are creatures imbued with reason.  We
are able to look at the world around us and attempt to understand it. As
 members of *spark we believe that all human beings possess this nature.
Furthermore, that it is a discussion of this world of reason, this divine
nature, that is sorely lacking in modern society. Especially on the
internet.
We don't want to be highbrow, or snobbish, rather, we just want to engage
the average person who is surfing the net with our ideas.  Further, we want
to be able to challenge him or her to look at themselves, and hopefully
begin
to question the world around them that they essentially take for granted.
It is through questions that human beings begin the process of change.   And
change is one of the traits of humanity that is most admirable.  To create a
better world.   We strongly believe that it is ideas that are the first step
in any process of renewal.

That's where you come in.  It will be your ideas.  Your insight, that helps
further this process.  Any ideas are open for discussion here.  We will
publish
anything, as long is it is well written, and engaging.  As well, there is a
rough polemical shape to the magazine that each month we would like to
attempt
to maintain.

Kristopher Krug
editor-in-chief

*spark - exploring electronic consciousness...
http://www.spark-online.com

                                                                         - - - -
 - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - | 0 4 |
                                                                         - - - -

INSTITUTE FOR STRENGTHENING DEMOCRACY IN BOSNIA
K o n j i c
Bosnia-Herzegovina

CALL FOR PAPERS

and

INVITATION TO PARTICIPATE

at the Seminar
 "Democracy and Human Rights in Multi-ethnic Societies"
Time: 3-7 July, 2000
Place: Konjic, B&H

Dear colleagues,

This year`s seminar on Democracy and Human Rights in Multi-ethnic Societies,
which was held this past July in Konjic, B&H, has definitely approved to
become a yearly event. The fact that people from 16 countries attended has
made the event international. As an aftermath of
the seminar participants` willingness to go on with our discussions and an
additional interest of colleages who were not able to attend this time, the
Institute
for Strengthening Democracy in Bosnia has decided to continue with the
seminar on
the same topic next year.

In order to make a tentative program, I request of you to let me know as
soon as posible if you are interested in submitting papers, taking part in
discussions, or simply attending the seminar. Working titles of
presentations are welcomed. I encourage participants to suggest and organize
workshops.

Please also feel free  to re-transmit this note to whomever might be interested.

In the event of not being interested in receiving further information on
this particular event as well as on the forthcoming activities of the
Institute please let me know at your most suitable convenience.

Sincerely,

Dzemal Sokolovic,
Director of the Institute for Strengthening Democracy in Bosnia

                                                                         - - - -
 - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - | 0 5 |
                                                                         - - - -

ART VS. STATE: RECLAIMING PUBLIC SPACE THROUGH ART
A Performance & Installation Event
Celebrating the Release of
SANDBOX MAGAZINE #7 & SANDBOX WEBZINE FALL 1999
Featuring The Guerilla Girls, RTMark, Robert Lederman, Reclaim the
Streets, Electronic Disturbance Theater,   Spalding Gray, Guillermo-Gomez
Pena, The Poool & Yael Kanarek

http://www.sandboxarts.org

Friday October 29th, Beginning at 9pm
ABC No Rio
156 Rivington
$5 suggested donation

FOR INFORMATION ABOUT THIS EVENT CALL (718) 768-4814

ART VS.STATE brings you work by artists actively engaged in reclaiming
public space, be it physical urban space or cultural media space. Their
tactics range from guerrilla actions, civil disobedience and acts of
sabotage to quiet gestures of poetic resistance. The event takes place
over Halloween weekend...  a time when rules are broken, roles reversed,
and those confined to the shadows come out to play.

ABC No Rio is a Lower East Side art & community center which has a history
of supporting radical political art and is currently trying to raise funds
to ensure its survival. All proceeds from the event will benefit Sandbox
Open Arts and ABC No Rio, both of which are not-for-profit organizations.

Pick up a free copy  of the magazine, cruise the webzine & move to the
sounds of DJ timmy c.!

THE PLAYERS:

ROBERT LEDERMAN (President of A.R.T.I.S.T.) - Street artist arrested 39
times for exercizing his First
Amendment rights displays portraits of Mayor Giuliani as Adolf Hitler.
RTMARK - Anti-corporate saboteurs (GWBush.com & YesRudy.com) lend
corporate presence to event.
ELECTRONIC DISTURBANCE THEATER - Digital Zapatistas organize resistance
against Mexican government
through poetic acts of cyber terrorism.
SALLY RESNIK - Geo-chemical artist creates interactive rituals.
PAN-MISSISSIPPI GHAT PROJECT (MATTHEW NESBIT W/ NANCY LASKOWSKI) - New
Orleans artists erect altar &
document artistic and spiritual actions along Mississippi.
AMY SHAPIRO - Performance/Visual artist introduces new character with
unusual costume.
EMERGENCY RESPONCE NETWORK (Culture Contingent) - Perform Mnemonic
Device - From Wounded Knee to Iraq. .
RODGER STEVENS - Visual artist displays photographs documenting NYC
graffiti art.
SHELLEY F. MARLOW - Visual artist/writer reads excerpts from her novel
Swann in Love Again,
the Lesbian Arabian Nights.
ALLAN "POGO" SPIEGEL - Photographer/Klown projects images documenting
NYC guerilla art.
LARA LEPIONKA - Visual/performance artist provides food & bar service.
ANA MARIA RODRIGUEZ - Visual artist distributes Brooklyn souvenir.
BILL TALEN - Reverend Billy, Church of Stop Shopping, leads faithful in
prayer & meditation.
JAN MCLAUGHLIN - Poet/sound artist displays intimate sound installation.
UNION DE VECINOS, VALERIE TEVERE & ULTRA-RED - Collaboration projects
images documenting
multi-media neighborhood organizing in East LA.

SYLVIE MYERSON: Editor/Curator
VID JAIN: Artistic Director
SUE SHANNON: Stage Manager

SANDBOX MAGAZINE is available in Manhattan at Ink, Printed Matter, Tower
Magazines, Art Market, Coliseum Books, St.Mark’s Books, and in
Williamsburg at Ear Wax, Max & Roebling and Beacon's Closet.
To receive our latest copy by mail, please send a $5.00 check made out
to Sandbox Open Arts, PO Box 150098, Brooklyn, NY 11215.
For info: sandbox@echonyc.com or (718) 768-4814

                                                                         - - - -
 - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - | 0 6 |
                                                                         - - - -

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
F O O T - W A R E - international exhibition
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
18 - 31 October, 1998 at Artpool P60, Budapest

and on the internet at http://www.artpool.hu/kontextus/footware/

PARTICIPANTS:

AGUIAR (P) AKENATON (F) ALBRECHT/d. (D) ALTORJAI (D) AMATO (I) ANDERSEN
(DK) ANDERSON (GB) ARANDA (Chile) ASSOCIATION CREATION (A/H) ATTALAI (H)
BABENKO (RUS) BACHENHEIMER (USA) BARACCHI (I) BARONI (I) BELOW (D)
BERGER (D) BERICAT (E) BESANT (CDN) BIGGS (USA) BISCHOF (H) BLAINE (F)
BLEUS (B) BMZ (H) BORAWSKI (USA) BOSCHI (I) BOUWS (NL) BUKTA (H) BURCH
(USA) CANTSIN /KANTOR (CDN) CAPATTI (I) CARRETTA (I) CAVELLINI (I)
CHUGALY (YU) CLEVELAND (USA) COLE (USA) COLLINS (GB) CORNER (I) CROZIER
(GB) CS. NAGY (H) CSATLOS (H) CUCINIELLO (I) CURMANO (USA) DALIGAND (F)
DELLAFIORA (AUS) DINSMORE (USA) DIOTALLEVI (I) DROZDIK (H) DUDEK-DURER
(PL) DURCEK (SK) DYAR (USA) FEHER (H) FIERENS (B) FILLIOU (F) FISHER
(USA) FOREMAN (USA) FREY (H) FUENTE (USA) FULIEROVA (SK) GAGLIONE / HELD
Jr. (USA) GALANTAI (H) GELUWE (B) GIFREU (E) GODEFROID (D) GODIN (D)
GOGOLYAK (YU) GOLCHERT (D) GOMEZ (E) GROH (D) GULYAS (H) GUT (I) HAASZ
(H) HALASZ (H) HARGUINDEY (E) HAVRILLA (SK) HEID (D) HENDRICKS (USA)
IBANEZ (Chile) IMRE (H) INCONNU (USA) JACK (J) JANKE (D) JOE (I)
J.JOHNSON (USA) R.JOHNSON (USA) JONGE (NL) JURI (RUS) KABAI (H) KAMAN
(H) KAMPERELIC (YU) KECSKES (H) KEREKES (D) KLIVAR (CZ) KOGLER (A)
KOLLER (SK) KOVATS (H) KUSINA (USA) LAKNER (D) LARA (USA) LASCARI (USA)
LEBEL (F) LENGYEL (H) LENT (NL) LUCAS (BR) Fe.LUGOSSY (H) MacLENNAN (NI)
MAGGI (I) MALOK (USA) MARINHO (BR) MARTINOU (G) MATE (H) MAURER (H)
McCARTHY (IR) McSHERRY (CDN) MITI (I) MITROPOULOS (G) MORANDI (I)
MORRISEY (CDN) MUCKEN (D) MULLER / HEINE (CH) MYERS (USA) MYZNIKOVA (RU)
NAKAMURA (J) NATIONS (CDN) NEMETH (H) NIELSEN (DK) NOKANONO (CDN)
OBALDIA (PAN) ORIMOTO (J) OSTROWSKI (GB) PACI (I) PADIN (U) PANHUYSEN
(NL) PATELLA (I) PERFETTI (I) PETASZ (PL) PITTORE (USA) POLLACCI (I)
ROCA (I) ROSE (USA) ROSSNER (D) SALERNO (I) SAMUELSEN (N) SAUNDERS (USA)
SCALA (I) SCHWARZ (CH) SEXTON (USA) SIGNER (USA) SIMON (B) SI-LA-GI (H)
SILVERBERG (USA) SMITH (MEX) SOS (H) SOT (N) C.SPENCE (CDN) P.SPENCE
(AUS) SPITZAR (D) STAKE (CDN) STRADA (I) SUHR (D) SUMMERS (NL)
SUTHERLAND (CDN) SZEKELY (H) SZKAROSI (H) SZEMZO (H) SZTUKA FABRYKA (B)
TARDOS (USA) TAVENNER (USA) TORRENS (E) TOT (D) TRASOV (CDN) TRICEPS (H)
TSUBOUCHI (J) UPTEN (SC) UTO-KONYA (RO) VASS (H) VAUTIER (F) VERES (NL)
VIGO (RA) VINH (CDN) VLEESKENS (AUS) WARPECHOWSKI (PL) WILHEIM / RACZ
(H) WILSON (USA) WOJEWODZKI (USA) WOLSKY (H) YAMAGUCHI (DK) ZAHORANSKY
(SK) ZOBERNIG (A)

FOOT-WARE ON VIDEO
Wednesdays and Fridays from 4 to 6 p.m. according to the following schedule:

16.00 KECSKÉS Péter (H) - Burning Van Gogh´s Shoes. The last performance
by United Gods (1993)
16.09    Frank FOREMAN / Frank Witsch (USA) - "Raw footage from the Sock
Exchange at the Pacific Coast Stock Exchange" - detail (1998-1999)
16.14 HALÁSZ Károly (H) - The evocation of Past Times (1992)  -  "At the
back of..." (1981)
16.33 Galina MYZNIKOVA (RUS) - "Work with banks" (1995)
16.42 Larry FUENTE (USA) - "Mad Cad" (1992)
16.45 Paul PANHUYSEN (NL) - "Footage" (1999)
16.50 KOVÁTS Albert (H) - Interview with György Galántai (1993)
16.53 Heinrich MUCKEN (D) - "DOINDEDISCHE" - detail (1987)
16.55 Monty CANTSIN / KÁNTOR István (CDN) - "BAGDATA" - detail (1987)
16.57 Zbigniew WARPECHOWSKI (PL) - Without title (1987)
17.03 Roman SIGNER (USA) - "Schnelle Veränderungen" (1987) / Gyors
változások (1987)
17.07 TÓT Endre (D) - I am glad if I can walk back and forth - I am glad
if I can go one step - I am glad if I can look at the wall -  I am glad
if I can lift my leg -  I am glad if I can cross my legs - I am glad if
I can jump a little bit (1972-93)
17.21 Picasso GAGLIONE / John HELD Jr. (USA) - Guitar Piece by Robin
Page (1993)
17.28 Lubomír DURCEK (SK) - The Home - detail  (1983)
17.33 Vladimír HAVRILLA (SK) - "Lift" (1974)
17.36 KEREKES László (D) - "I can´t help remembering you until you
understand silence" - detail (1995)
17.39 Gunnar MÜLLER / Martin HEINE (CH) - "The Industrialist´s
Nightmare" - detail (1996)
17.45 Dusan ZÁHORANSKY (SK) - The time of the pace - detail (1996)
17.50 Fe.LUGOSSY László (H) - Van gogh Memorial (1992) - Long Live and
Expand the Universe - detail (1991)
17.56 SZEMZÔ Tibor (H)- Guided Chance - detail (1987)
17.58 WILHEIM András / RÁCZ Zoltán (H) - Piece for the sound-sculptures
of György Galántai - detail (1987)
Between the pieces:  Tor Arne SAMUELSEN (N) - Standing still for one
hour - detail (1993)
an event of the Budapest Autumn Festival
(http://www.fesztivalvaros.hu/bof1999/english.html)
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

--
Artpool Art Research Center
http://www.artpool.hu

                                                                         - - - -
 - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - | 0 7 |
                                                                         - - - -

//.VirtualY2K.

       A conference on how digitized and networked technologies are
       changing our lives and the world.

       @ brown.edu
       11.5.99 - 11.7.99

The Watson Institute for International Studies at Brown University will
host a three-day conference-VIRTUALY2K-from Friday to Sunday, November
5-7, 1999.  The conference will explore how digitized and networked
technologies are transforming the world and our lives. As distances
collapse under globalization, as societies become ever more
media-intensive, as the new velocity of virtual networks transforms
warfare, diplomacy and politics, VY2K will bring scholars, writers,
practitioners and critics from many parts of the world to interrogate the
nature and future of virtual worlds.

What is at stake?  Has modernity been overtaken by a "virtual condition"?
If so, what are the technical, political, ethical and immediate
implications?

Definitions of the virtual are not easy to come by.  Long before
microchips were imagined, theologians and philosophers were debating the
elusive power of the virtual, of immaterial forces that could exert an
influence at a distance, from the holy spirit to the rays of the sun.
Now, thanks to the viral spread of networked computers, the virtual is not
so much elusive as pervasive.  Even so, like the puzzle of the
philosophers, this contemporary virtuality produces effects and results
that blur our usual ways of seeing things. We find new worlds emerge which
though real are less than physical.  We find spaces emerge which though
extensive are immediate and not at all distant.  In short, as the virtual
becomes ever more actualized in our daily lives, many of the familiar ways
in which we've looked at the world are being redrawn, if not turned upside
down.

In the meantime, global politics is being transformed.  Battlesites and
websites converge.  PCs and TVs meld.  Electronic eyes replace human eyes
as global surveillance, media interventions, and invisible sanctions
afford "action-at-a-distance".  Think-tanks and peace institutes promote
"virtual diplomacy" as the means to avoid actual insurgency.  As data
equals power, infowar becomes not only possible but an accepted, and
seemingly acceptable reality.  Indeed, the virtual touches every aspect of
our lives: identity, economy, environments, people.  As the century ends
and a millennium begins, VY2K will open a debate about what is surely
becoming one of the most important political, social and philosophical
questions of human development: the power and opportunity, dangers and
politics of virtuality.

VIRTUALY2K is sponsored by the Watson Institute for International Studies,
and made possible by a grant from the Ford Foundation and with the support
of the Malcolm S. Forbes Center for Research in Culture and Media Studies.

VIRTUALY2K is free and open to the public.

Confirmed participants:

*  Adam ASHFORTH, Institute for Advanced Study
*  John Perry BARLOW, Electronic Frontier Foundation
*  Thomas P.M. BARNETT, U.S. Naval War College
*  Thomas J. BIERSTEKER, Watson Institute
*  Manuel DE LANDA, independent writer
*  James DER DERIAN, Watson Institute
*  Ron DEIBERT, University of Toronto
*  Mary Ann DOANE, MCM, Brown University
*  Ricardo DOMINGUEZ, thing.net & Electronic Disturbance Theatre
*  Ian Robert DOUGLAS, the power foundation
*  Jean Bethke ELSHTAIN, University of Chicago
*  Miguel ENCARNACAO, Fraunhofer Center for Research in Computer Graphics
*  Yaron EZRAHI, Hebrew University
*  Samuel FULCOMER, Brown University
*  Abbott GLEASON, Watson Institute
*  Jonathan GRATCH, Virtual Helicopter Pilots, University of Southern
   California
*  N. Katherine HAYLES, UCLA
*  Wendy HUI KYONG CHUN, Brown University
*  Michael IGNATIEFF, writer, New Yorker
*  Mary KALDOR, London School of Economics
*  Carmin KARASIC, thing.net & Electronic Disturbance Theatre
*  Jon KATZ, writer, slashdot.org & Rolling Stone
*  Thomas KEENAN, Bard College
*  Laura KURGAN, Princeton University
*  George LANDOW, Brown University
*  Jaron LANIER, Tele-Immersion
*  Thomas LEVIN, Princeton University
*  Robert MACE, TOPSCENE, Naval Air Systems Command
*  Michael MACEDONIA, STRICOM, US Army
*  Ira MAGAZINER, SJS, Inc.
*  General William NASH (Ret.), National Democratic Institute for
   International Affairs
*  Mark PESCE, University of Southern California
*  John Phillip SANTOS, Ford Foundation
*  Marcus THIEBAUX, Virtual Helicopter Pilots, University of Southern
   California
*  Andries VAN DAM, Brown University
*  Stefan WRAY, thing.net & Electronic Disturbance Theatre
*  Michael ZYDA, Naval Postgraduate School

Key questions:

*  Is there a distinction worth defending between the real and the virtual,
   or is there a reality intrinsic to the virtual?
*  Can an 'ethics of virtuality' be imagined?
*  When everything arrives, we no longer have to leave.  Does 'virtuality'
   portend a new world-wide freedom - or a new carceral, albeit in the name
   of participation and communication?
*  What will the robot historians of the 22nd century write about the
   beginnings of the 21st?
*  Virtual technologies collapse distances, distort time, blur fact and
   fiction, fundamentally transforming the world of appearances.  Are we
   witness to a 'de-realization', or a complexification of our perception of
   the real?
*  'Cybernetics' originally denoted the 'arts of governing'.  Is
   'virtuality' also a means of governing people?
*  Can virtuality or virtual worlds allow for the free expression of
   difference, or do they disallow it through a standardization of real lives
   via universal code?
*  The Berlin wall falls, the web takes off.  Pure coincidence?
*  What does it mean to wage a 'virtual war'?
*  Is 'virtual war' a form of just war?  If it kills fewer people but
   attacks the 'reality principle' is it still justifiable?
*  Can virtual communities be real?
*  What can we understand by the merging of information, warring and
   entertainment?  Is virtuality merely preparing society for new forms of
   war?
*  Can interventions in virtual environments be real?
*  Does virtuality alter how we think of mortality?
*  Every new technology brings with it a specific accident.  What would a
   'virtual accident' look like?
*  Is virtualization the "real" force behind globalization?  Is it the
   harbinger of a new world order, or a brave new world?

Location:
       The Salomon Centre for Teaching
       Brown University
       Providence
       Rhode Island
       USA

Dates:
       November 5-7, 1999

Webpage:
       http://www.brown.edu/Departments/Watson_Institute/

Email:
       virtualy2k@brown.edu

General information (including information on travel, accommodation,
location, etc.):

www.brown.edu/Departments/Watson_Institute/programs/gs/VirtualY2K/info.html

VIRTUALY2K is organized by James Der Derian and Ian Douglas, Watson
Institute for International Studies, Brown University.