t byfield on Sat, 9 Oct 1999 19:45:16 +0200 (CEST)

<nettime> (fwd, <love@cptech.org>): correspondence re ICANN candidate

[minimally reformatted--tb]

----- Forwarded

Date: Fri, 8 Oct 1999 12:14:14 -0400
From: James Love <love@cptech.org>
To: RANDOM-BITS <random-bits@essential.org>
Subject: AT&T: Your help is needed immediately to help Rick White
         get elected to the ICANN board

If ICANN is only going to do boring and unimportant technical work, why
does a former US Congressman want to run for its board of directors, and
why does AT&T, Microsoft and others lobby so hard to put their people on
the board of directors?

This is from AT&T's Marilyn Cade's campaign efforts...

  Jamie

-------------------------
"Cade,Marilyn S - LGA" <mcade@att.com> on 10/07/99 04:08:50 PM

To:   'Danny Weitzner' <djw@cdt.org>, 'Dave Fares' <dfares@uscib.org>,
      'David Olive' <dolive@udc.fujitsu.com>, 'Dennis Jennings'
      <Dennis.Jennings@ucd.ie>, 'Don Telage' <don@telage.com>, 'Ed
      Behrens' <behrens.el@pg.com>, Ed J. Black/Ccianet, 'Fritz Attaway'
      <Fritz_Attaway@mpaa.org>, 'Gordon Ross' <gordonr@netnanny.com>,
      'Glee Harrah Cady-Alexa' <glee@alexa.com>, 'Greg Garcia'
      <greg.garcia@computerprivacy.org>, 'Greg Phillips'
      <GDP@HPALAW.COM>, "'Gymer, Keith'" <gymerk@hlcec1.agw.bt.co.uk>,
      "'hmiller@itaa.org'" <hmiller@itaa.org>, "'jalhade@ibm.net'"
      <jalhade@ibm.net>, "'jackk@microsoft.com'" <jackk@microsoft.com>,
      "'Jason D.Oxman'" <joxman@covad.com>, 'Joe Alhadeff'
      <jalhadef@us.oracle.com>, "'John C. Lewis, BT'" <john.c.lewis@bt.com>,
      'John Logalbo' <john@psi.com>, 'John Montjoy' <montjoyj@aol.com>,
      'jon england' <jon.england@excitehome.net>, 'Jon Englund'
      <Jon.Englund@excitehome.net>, 'Judith Krug' <jkrug@ala.org>,
      'Karen Possner' <Possner.Karen@bsc.bls.com>, 'Keith Gymer'
      <keith.gymer@btinternet.com>, "'Ken Whitaker (LCA)'"
      <kenwh@microsoft.com>, 'Kristen Verderame'
      <Kristen@dcwash1.btna.com>, 'Lee Chinitz-Motorola'
      <clc011@email.mot.com>, 'Linda Dadamio' <ldadamio@ford.com>,
      "'Lucey, Anne'" <Anne.Lucey@viacom.com>, "'Marc Berejka (LCA)'"
      <mberejka@microsoft.com>, 'Maryann Mccormick' <mccormickm@attmail.com>,
      'Maura Colleton' <maura.colleton@wcom.com>, "'McClellan, Donald'"
      <Mccledon@Gateway.com>, 'Mike Kirk' <mkirk@aipla.org>, 'Mike Heltzer'
      <mheltzer@inta.org>, "'mpearl@itaa.org'" <mpearl@itaa.org>,
      "'mtimmeny@cisco.com'" <mtimmeny@cisco.com>, 'Ollie Smoot'
      <osmoot@itic.org>, 'Paul Kane' <paul.kane@IO.IO>, 'Paul Resnick'
      <presnick@umich.edu>, 'Philip Sheppard' <philip.sheppard@aim.be>,
      'PSWG' <PSWG@listserv.aol.com>, "'RCollet@Teleglobe.CA'"
      <RCollet@Teleglobe.CA>, 'Rick Lane' <rlane@uschamber.com>, 'Roger
      Cochetti' <rogerc@us.ibm.com>, 'Sally Davis' <sldavis@hldickler.com>,
      "'Sarah B. Deutsch'" <SARAH_B.DEUTSCH@bellatlantic.com>, 'Sheila
      O'Neill' <soneill@itaa.org>, 'Steve Metalitz' <metalitz@iipa.com>,
      "'sue@internet2.edu'" <sue@internet2.edu>, 'Susan McFee'
      <smcfee@ford.com>, "'TCASEY/0002018157@MCIMAIL.COM'"
      <"TCASEY/0002018157"@MCIMAIL.COM>, "'Tim D. Casey'"
      <0002018157@MCIMAIL.COM>, 'Tom Barrett-CTO-NetNames'
      <tom.barrett@netnames.com>
cc:   'Dave Pine' <pine@corp.home.net>, jberman
      <internet!cdt.org!jberman@attmail>, "'jberman@cdt.org'"
      <jberman@cdt.org>, 'Peter Schalestock' <Schap@PerkinsCoie.com>

Subject:  Your help is needed immediately to help Rick White get elected
          to the ICANN board

Rick White, former Republican Congressman, Washington, has been nominated
by Jerry Berman for the ICANN Board seats to be elected by the Names
Council.  AT&T and other commercial companies also support his candidacy,
and your help is needed immediately.

Please consider endorsing Rick's candidacy by going to www//dnso.org and
going down to the endorsement section.  Rick needs as many endorsements
from as wide a variety of players as possible to help to show that he can
draw support from a broad number of constituencies.

It is essential that you take the step of supporting him today and early
tomorrow. The ability to make a difference ends tomorrow and we need to
ensure that he has the needed endorsements - at least 10; the more, the
better. I am also working with Barbara Dooley to gry to get ISP
endorsements from other countries, and have asked Sheila O'Neill, ITAA, to
help with WITSA members....

Tomorrow, at around 11:15 a.m. EST, we'll have Rick on a call to talk to
anyone interested in "meeting" him electronically and talking about your
concerns about the board issues which ICANN will deal with. IF you haven't
received the call in number through other sources, send an email back to
my secretary; shown in the cc line as Cynthia Whiting. She'll get it to
you immediately.

Thanks..

I know that Rick will appreciate your help.

"Cade,Marilyn S - LGA" <mcade@att.com> on 10/07/99 07:19:16 PM

To:   'Allen Davidson' <abd@cdt.org>, 'Allen Miller'
      <allen.miller@oga.eds.com>, "'ARTHUR.SACKLER@twi.com'"
      <ARTHUR.SACKLER@twi.com>, 'Barbara Dooley' <bdooley@cix.org>,
      "'bill.poulos@eds.com'" <bill.poulos@eds.com>, 'Blair Levin'
      <BlairLevin@aol.com>, "'Bramson, Jim'" <jimbramson@aol.com>, 'Bret
      Fausett' <baf@fausett.com>, 'Brian Adkins' <badkins@itic.nw.dc.us>,
      'Brian Adkins' <badkins@itic.org>, "'Bridget P. Cosgrove'"
      <bridget.cosgrove@etsi.fr>, 'CABASE-Antonio Harris'
      <harris@cabase.org.ar>, "'cantrellj@mail.dnb.com'"
      <cantrellj@mail.dnb.com>, 'Christiaan van der valk'
      <christiaan.vandervalk@iccwbo.org>, "'Cohen, Tod'"
      <Tod_Cohen@mpaa.org>, 'Daniel Weitzner' <djweitzner@w3.org>,
      'Daphne Yong D'herve' <daphne.yongdherve@iccwbo.org>, 'Dave Fares'
      <dfares@uscib.org>, 'David Fares' <uscib14@pop.interport.net>,
      'David Olive' <dolive@udc..fujitsu.com>, "'Day, Ruth'"
      <IMCEAMS-LGAMAIL_NJ0FP2PO1_rday@lga.att.com>, 'Ed Behrens'
      <behrens.el@pg.com>, Ed J. Black/Ccianet, "'Elhardt, Harry'"
      <Harry.Elhardt@emea.att.com>, 'Fritz Attaway'
      <Fritz_Attaway@mpaa.org>, 'Greg Phillips' <GDP@HPALAW.COM>,
      "'Gymer, Keith'" <gymerk@hlcec1.agw.bt.co.uk>, "'hmiller@itaa.org'"
      <hmiller@itaa.org>, "'internet!isoc.org!heath@attmail'"
      <internet!isoc.org!heath@attmail>, "'internet!wdc.fujitsu.com!dolive'"
      <internet!wdc.fujitsu.com!dolive@almso1.proxy.att.com>,
      "'JAKEESQ@PRODIGY.NET'" <JAKEESQ@PRODIGY.NET>, 'jalhadeff'
      <jalhade@ibm.net>, "'Jason D.Oxman'" <joxman@covad.com>, 'jberman'
      <internet!cdt.org!jberman@attmail>, "'jberman@cdt.org'"
      <jberman@cdt.org>, 'Jenny' <jennyambrozek@classic.msn.com>, 'Joe
      Montjoy' <montjoyj@aol.com>, 'John Wood-KPMG' <johnwood@KPMG.com>,
      'jon england' <jon.england@excitehome.net>, 'Jon Englund'
      <Jon.Englund@excitehome.net>, 'Jonathan Cohen' <scaf@idealaw.com>,
      'Jonathan Moskin' <Moskinj@PENNIE.com>, 'karen corbitt Saunders'
      <NYNEX@vub.ac.be>, 'Karen Possner' <Possner.Karen@bsc.bls.com>,
      <Kristen@dcwash1.btna.com>, 'Leslie Dunlap'
      <leslie.dunlap@cwusa.com>, 'Linda Dadamio' <ldadamio@ford.com>,
      <mccormickm@attmail.com>, "'McClellan, Donald'"
      <Mccledon@Gateway.com>, 'Mike Heltzer' <mheltzer@inta.org>, 'Mike
      Kirk' <mkirk@aipla.org>, 'mpearl' <internet!itaa.org!mpearl@attmail>,
      "'mpearl@itaa.org'" <mpearl@itaa.org>, "'mtimmeny@cisco.com'"
      <mtimmeny@cisco.com>, 'Paul Kane' <paul.kane@IO.IO>, 'Peter
      Schalestock' <Schap@PerkinsCoie.com>, 'Phil Bond'
      <pbond@itic.nw.dc.us>, 'PSWG' <PSWG@listserv.aol.com>, 'Rick Lane'
      <rlane@uschamber.com>, 'Roger Cochetti' <rogerc@us.ibm.com>, 'Ruth
      Day' <rday@ilpf.org>, 'Sally Davis' <sldavis@hldickler.com>,
      "'Sarah B. Deutsch'" <SARAH_B.DEUTSCH@bellatlantic.com>, "'Sanford C.
      Reback'" <"SCREBACK/0002132116"@MCIMAIL.COM>, 'Scott Purcell-Epoch'
      <spurcell@eni.net>, "'Stephanie_Stitzer@aeanet.org'"
      <Stephanie_Stitzer@aeanet.org>, 'Steve Metalitz'
      <metalitz@iipa.com>, 'Steven Bellovin' <smb@research.att.com>,
      'Susan Fratkin' <sue@internet2.edu>, 'Susan McFee' <smcfee@ford.com>,
      "'TCASEY/0002018157@MCIMAIL.COM'" <"TCASEY/0002018157"@MCIMAIL.COM>,
      "'Tim D. Casey'" <0002018157@MCIMAIL.COM>,
      "'TSWINEHART/0002131750@MCIMAIL.COM'"
      <"TSWINEHART/0002131750"@MCIMAIL.COM>, "'Varney, Christine A.'"
      <CAVarney@hhlaw.com>
cc:   'Dave Pine' <pine@corp.home.net>, 'Dennis Jennings'
      <Dennis.Jennings@ucd.ie>, 'Peter Dengate Thrush'
      <pdthrush@chambers.gen.nz>, 'Dennis Jennings'
      <Dennis.Jennings@ucd.ie>, 'Peter Schalestock'
      <Schap@PerkinsCoie.com>, 'Rick White' <WhitR@PerkinsCoie.com>

Subject:  conference call with Board Candidates

The proposed conference call with the ICANN board candidates is scheduled
for at least two, and possibly three candidates: Call begins at 11:00 a.m.
with introductions and a discussion/agreement on the general questions
which folks want to ask so we can ensure an efficient use of their time
and ability to respond to as many questions as possible.

Each candidate is asked to make a short statement, I suggest you visit
dnso.org and read their statements ahead of time if possible.  then we'll
do moderated Q and A for the time we have left.

Rick White, US      11:15 - a.m.

11: 45 a.m.  Tentative:  Dennis Jennings may be able to join us to discuss
Carl Bildt, Europe's candidacy. Carl is returning from Bosnia and unable
to participate in person, but I've asked Dennis if he might join us to
just discuss this a bit.  This is tentative and will be confirmed tomorrow
a.m.

Jonathan Cohen, Canada 12:10 p.m.  Jonathan has a conflict until around
12, but will join as soon as possible after that.

Tentative: One of the L.American Candidates might be available at 12: 30
p.m. Still working on.

Thanks, Marilyn

     Dial-in info. for the conference call tomorrow, Friday, 10/8; at
11:00 a.m. EDT is as follows:

     Dial-in #:     XXX XXX XXXXX

     Participant
     Access
     Code:          XXX-XXXXX

     Any problems with the above dial-in information, please don't
hesitate to call Cynthia Whiting on 202-457-3887.

----- Backwarded