Declan McCullagh on Thu, 7 Oct 1999 04:27:23 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> cyber-communism

At 19:05 10/6/1999 -0400, nettime's_roving_reporter wrote:
>[In just one month Richard Barbrook's seminal Cybercommunism manifesto,
>posted in four long installments on nettime [Mon, 6 Sep 1999 00:56:56
>+0000], appears to have triggered a revolutionary shift in the
>consciousness of the average net user. He (as we learned from the

Oh. Of course. Tens of millions of users around the world read that
manifesto and have shifted their consciousness appropriately, perhaps
spurred along by the widespread coverage it received such as the Newsweek
and Time cover stories and 60 Minutes special report, not to mention the
endorsement by leading CEOs and statesmen. Heck, my AOL-using grandmother
called me last night and tried to convert me to the cause. Did I miss
anything?

-Declan

PS: Just for the hell of it, I'll include my review of Lessig's forthcoming
book. Not "cybercommunism," but maybe close enough that the same criticism
applies.