nettime_announcer on Mon, 20 Sep 1999 15:09:49 +0200 (CEST)

<nettime> announcer 99.38 [a]

                                                                   - - - - - - -
  |||||||||||                                                      | 9 9 . 3 8 |
                                                                   - - - - - - -

                                                   <nettime> announcer   |  a <<

 - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - |  b

                                                                         - - - -
      reclaim the streets <artactivism@gn.apc.org> : CALL FOR MATERIAL   | 0 1 |
                                                                         - - - -
01101001011010110100010110100101010101001@0100101110101101.ORG : [...]   | 0 2 |
                                                                         - - - -
            Fee Plumley <gmi@fact.co.uk> : Global Multimedia Interface   | 0 3 |
                                                                         - - - -
           { brad brace } <bbrace@ncal.verio.com> : fringing the globe   | 0 4 |
                                                                         - - - -
                       ROLUX <rolux-owner@rolux.org> : ctrl+x & ctrl+v   | 0 5 |
                                                                         - - - -
                   Doug Henwood <dhenwood@panix.com> : LBO web updates   | 0 6 |
                                                                         - - - -
 Ivo Skoric <ivo@reporters.net> : Benefit Concert for Kosovar Refugees   | 0 7 |
                                                                         - - - -
 CIAC <courrier@ciac.ca> : CIAC's Electronic Art Magazine, 8th edition   | 0 8 |
                                                                         - - - -
              Thomas Büsch <zivot@berlin.snafu.de> : clubmedia no. 3.0   | 0 9 |
                                                                         - - - -
    Michael Clarke <digitalmedia21@hotmail.com> : New Media Conference   | 1 0 |
                                                                         - - - -
                                JODI <jodi@jodi.org> : ?net_condition?   | 1 1 |
                                                                         - - - -

 - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - |

                                delivered each weekend into your inbox   |

                                        mailto:nettime-l@bbs.thing.net   |

                                                                         - - - -
 - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - | 0 1 |
                                                                         - - - -

CALL FOR MATERIAL

Dear J18 folks, Street Reclaimers and assorted rebels,

Some people in London Reclaim the Streets are putting together a series of
3 booklets published by Verso (respected left-wing publishers in UK/US)
about Reclaim the Streets and transnational activism. It will not be an
academic recuperation but inspirational agitational propaganda written by
activist themselves . (you may have heard about this project last year,
its the same project which got put on ice leading up to June 18th - but its
really happening now and is due out at the end of 2000) .

We are desperate for images , texts, leaflets, posters, agitprop, ideas,
rants, press cuttings - whatever you might have that could be part of this
project which tells the story of your street parties or June 18th actions
or other relevant activities.

If you have anything please send it to

Reclaim the Streets book project
c/o Sebastian Budgen
6 Meard Street
London W1V 3HR
UK

or email me  at artactivism@gn.apc.org  and I can send you a longer
proposal and explanation of the project. (please don't email big image
files they are unlikely to be good enough quality for printing- send
prints)

All contributors will send you a free copy of the book when it is published.
The project is non profit and anti copyright, no one is being paid to work
on it or write for it.  A  newspaper version of the book will be mass
produced to give out free at events, send out etc..

DEADLINE IS 1st JANUARY 2000

Reclaim The Streets Does Not Exist volumes 2, 3 and 4

"Ultimately it is in the streets that power must be dissolved: for the
streets where daily life is endured, suffered and eroded, and where power
is confronted and fought, must be turned into the domain where daily life
is enjoyed, created and nourished."
                                                                rts

agitprop 2, 1997

Introduction

        The direct action group Reclaim the Streets  has developed
widespread recognition over the last 4 years. From road blockades to street
parties, from strikes on oil corporations to organising alongside striking
workers, and most recently the international day of action in financial
districts on June the 18th,  its actions and ideas are attracting more and
more people and international attention. Yet the apparent sudden emergence
of this group, its penetration of popular alternative culture and its
underlying philosophy have rarely been discussed.  "Reclaim the Streets,
volumes 2, 3 & 4 " will be a unique intervention in publishing,  which
attempts to describe and document this highly imaginative yet at times
indescribable group.

One of Reclaim the Streets greatest strengths has been its inability to be
defined, its in-betweeness, its anarchic hybridity.  Is the street party a
protest or the presentation of an alternative ? Is it a carnival  or a riot
?  Is it an expression of revolutionary politics or just pure pleasure ?
This publication , which will take the form of 3 small booklets (volumes 2,
3 and 4)  bound together by tape ( with text printed on it) will attempt to
mirror the fluid, un-fixed nature of Reclaim the Streets. The idea of
volumes suggests  a continuation, a living project. It negates the idea
that this publication is in any way a definitive article, or the official
or final authoritative text.

 The booklets  will be neither academic thesis nor art book,  neither
agitprop nor critical analysis, neither inspirational document nor DIY
manual - but all of these,  woven together using innovative graphic design
and a large number of powerful photographs. Texts, images and  transcribed
interviews with activists will merge, creating  a lively, polyphonic
insight into the ideas and activities of Reclaim the Streets. and designed
by designers Noel Douglas and Tony Credland, with written contributions
from numerous activists within the movement.

Several publications have already appeared which are about the British
Direct Action movement (or DIY Culture- whatever box one wishes to enclose
it with). The majority of these emphasise the rural aspect of the movement,
have a radical ecological perspective and are based on local campaigns.
This publication hopes to redress the balance,  Reclaim the Street is an
urban phenomenon which brings together issues of social equity and radical
ecology, its actions, although embedded in locality, have always been
placed within a global context.

Street parties have been occurring across the globe since 1996 . This year
Reclaim the Streets was a key organiser and participant in the  June 18th
international day of action aimed at the heart of the global economy, the
banking and financial districts ,  which took place in over 40 countries on
every continent. The June 18th actions were the most recent expression of
the global network of grass roots  movements which  is  rapidly developing
into a powerful and radical  critique of global capital.

Reclaim the Streets is by no means an isolated phenomenon - peoples'
movements  throughout the world are increasingly using similar forms of
direct action to reclaim space and create self managed autonomous zones -
these include the Zapatistas in Chiapas,  Mexico - protest against the
Narmada dam, India - The French Unemployed workers  movement in 1997 - the
Movemento San Terra in Brazil , to name but a few. This globalisation of
protest will be a key strand which runs throughout all three of the
booklets, illustrating that Reclaim the Streets is just part of a far
broader process which may in many ways redefine the socio-political and
economic landscape over the years ahead.

The booklets
(note these are only working titles)

volume 2: Being Realistic

"We are basically about taking back public space from the enclosed private
arena. At its simplest it is an attack on cars as the principle agent of
enclosure. Its about reclaiming the streets as public inclusive space from
the private exclusive use of the car. But we believe in this as a broader
principle, taking back those things which have been enclosed within
capitalist circulation and returning them to collective use as a commons."
                                                rts agitprop 2, 1997

This booklet  presents  some of the central philosophical /political tenets
of Reclaim the Streets and provides a how to guide to taking urban direct
action (street parties, subvertising, office occupations, etc.).  Theory
and practise will be interwoven with images from Street parties across the
globe. Issues such as the collision of carnival and revolution,  pleasure
and politics , the street as site of radical struggle and face to face
democracy,  the car as agent of capitalist enclosure,  reclamation of
public space  and the necessity of direct action will be covered using  a
collage of text and image.

volume 3:  Revolutionary Carnivals and Carnivalesque Revolutions

"To work for delight and authentic festivity is barely distinguishable from
preparing for a general insurrection"
Rts flyer for June 18th action, in City of London. 1999

Charting the history of Reclaim the Streets (from the M11 campaign 1993 to
the Global Street Party in May 1998) and a pre history of creative
carnivalesque action, this booklet will  Illustrate the historical
continuity between older and newer forms of political/cultural resistance.
A collage of text and images, which constantly juxtaposes contemporary
Reclaim the Streets actions with  carnivalesque revolutionary forms of the
past, including : Free spirit manifestations in Medieval Europe, 1789
French revolution, 1848 uprisings, 1871 Paris Commune, Berlin insurrection
1918, Soviet Street festivals, dada /Lettrist/surrealist actions, Spanish
revolution 1936, Portugal 1975, May 68/situationist events, The Provos
events in Amsterdam,  UK Free festivals of late 70's/80's etc.

Volume 4: Our Resistance will be as Transnational as Capital

"By taking direct action, people make connections, they talk and
communicate with each other, they break down the isolation and
fragmentation of this alienated society. These connections are now
spreading across the globe as people realise that their particular local
struggles are part of a wider problem - the global economy"
"Evading Standards" spoof newspaper June 18th agitprop, 1999.

This booklet looks at the increasing globalisation of protest concentrating
on various grassroots direct action networks such as Peoples Global Action
(PGA) and the two international days of action catalysed by Reclaim the
Streets - the May 16th Global Street Party (1998) and the June 18th day of
action in Financial centres (1999) . The PGA is a loose network of peoples
movements who use direct action to challenge economic globalisation and
Free trade .  The network ranges from Ghandian Indian farmers groups  such
as the 10 million strong KRS which has destroyed Multinational Headquarters
and factories in Kernetaka to armed rebels such as the EZLN in Chiapas,
Mexico , from European Peace activists  to Maori groups fighting for
indigenous peoples rights, from radical Canadian Postal workers to French
Farmers, from Korean trade Unionist to Ukrainian environmentalists.  The
PGA was instrumental in the success  of the Global Street Party which
coincided with the G8 summit in May 1998 and took place in simultaneously
in 31 locations in 20 different countries and the June 18th actions this
year.

The booklet will analyse the rise of transnational activism, enabled by the
internet and global activist gatherings such as the Zapatista inspired
encuentros. and document the extraordinary June 18th 1999 international day
of action in Financial and banking districts, which was perhaps the largest
and most diverse day of action against global capital. Hundreds of actions
took place ranging  from a "Carnival of the Oppressed" with 10,000 tribal
people closing down Port Harcourt , capital of Ogoni land in Nigeria, to a
spoof trade fair in Montevideo, Uruguay - from a "Carnival against
capitalism"  in the city of London, where thousands of activists in
carnival masks brought the city to a standstill and attempted to occupy and
hack into the Futures Exchange  to Barcelona where a piece of squatted
land was turned into an urban oasis overnight , complete with vegetables,
medicinal herbs and a lake - from  an anti nuclear demonstration in
Gujerat, Pakistan by trade Unionists , to actions against child labour in
Senegal - from Street Parties across the United States to domestic and
garment workers demonstrating against the IMF  in Dhaka, Bangladesh- the
list goes on and on. The international aspect of June 18th was ignored by
most of the mass media, as it focused on the "violence" in the city this
booklet will document the true scale of contemporary global resistance.

Form
Each booklet will be approximately 18cm high and 11cm across, with 150
pages each. The covers will be full colour, and the inside will be very
graphic and use many Black and White photographs. ( A related model is
Marshall McLuhans "the Medium is the Massage" 1967.) The 3 volumes will be
bound together using 5cm wide packing tape, which will have text printed on
it ( Reclaim the Streets will produce this tape).

Design and printing
The design will be a collaboration between the editors , Tony Credland and
Noel Douglas. The printing of the book would use the highest ecological
standards available in the printing industry -  i.e. Recycled paper, Soya
based inks etc.

launch
 End of  December  2000. ( a reference and nod to the most influential
Situationist publication published in the UK -  Leaving the 20th Century,
Christopher Gray, Free Fall, 1974) .

"There are no limits to creativity . There is no end to subversion."
Raoul Vaneigem - The Revolution of Everyday Life.

                                                                         - - - -
 - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - | 0 2 |
                                                                         - - - -

http://www.0100101110101101.ORG/jodi.org
[...]

Global Multimedia Interface, Leicester Square, London

Call for projects

Take an LED screen the height of a 4-storey building....place it in
Leicester Square, in the heart of London, where 4 million people pass
through every month.... leave it running 24 hours a day, 7 days a week for
an entire year - run it simultaneously on a live webcast to a potential
further audience of 180 million
....Now stand back and watch...

...Welcome to the Global Multimedia Interface...

Built into the architecture of London's newest and most innovative
entertainment complex, 'Home', the GMI should be perceived as more of an
evolving artwork than an exhibition screen. Part architectural feature,
part communications forum; the largest and most dynamic permanent visual
interface yet established between cyberspace and the real world.

In the first year alone approximately eight thousand eight hundred and
sixty hours of screening time will be packaged into themed bundles; from
one minute animations to three hour movies.

The Foundation for Art & Creative Technology (FACT) is working in
collaboration with Big Beat - the people responsible for 'Home' - to
commission new work and to curate and programme a wide range of existing
work for the GMI.

We need your help in assembling material for the GMI.
I wondered therefore whether you may be able to recommend artists' work
that would benefit from exposure in this context? If you have a showreel or
showreels of recent single-channel material that we could view it would
help us enormously. We are particularly keen to create opportunities for
emerging artists and to ensure new commissioning contexts for established
artists, designers and image makers.

Please note that all of the work presented will be re-configured for the
screen format only with the consent of the artist or the artist's
representative.

If you would like further information on the project, or if you have
showreels and artists recommendations, please contact:

Fee Plumley, Project Co-ordinator,
Foundation for Art & Creative Technology,
Bluecoat Chambers, School Lane, Liverpool. L1 3BX.
Tel: +44 (0) 151 709 2663.  Fax: +44 (0) 151 707 2150. gmi@fact.co.uk

Submissions on VHS (PAL or NTSC) only, please.

* FACT is one of Britain's leading independent commissioning agencies for
artists working with moving image art and media. It is responsible for the
Video Positive Biennial, the Collaboration Programme (commissions made by
artists and communities) and MITES (The Moving Image Touring & Exhibition
service) which is the national exhibition technology resource for artists
and exhibitors in the UK.

`-      *_*     `-      *_*     `-      *_*     `-      *_*     `-

Fee Plumley     Project Co-Ordinator    Global Multimedia Interface

Foundation      for     Art             & Creative      Technology
Bluecoat Chambers       School Lane     Liverpool       L1 3BX

                +44(0) 151 709 2663     +44(0) 151 707 2150
gmi@fact.co.uk                                        http://www.fact.co.uk

`-      *_*     `-      *_*     `-      *_*     `-      *_*     `-

                                                                         - - - -
 - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - | 0 4 |
                                                                         - - - -

http://www.seattlefringe.org
http://www.orlando.com/fringe
http://members.aol.com/mnfringe
http://www.sffringe.org
http://www.wordplay.com/fringe
http://www.montrealfringe.ca
http://www.storm.ca/~fringe
http://www.members.xoom.com/ptbofringe
http://www.fringetoronto.com
http://www.mtc.mb.ca
http://www.northroute.net/~tbfringe
http://www.interspin.com/25thstreet
http://www.cet.lloydminster.ab.ca
http://www.alberta.com/fringe
http://www.hwy97.com/icis/fringe/
http://www.monday.com/fringe
http://www.vancouverfringe.com/
http://www.fringeorg.nz/
http://www.adelaidefringe.com.au/
http://www.fringefest.com
http://www.edfringe.com

The_12hr-ISBN-JPEG_Project                     since 1994 <<<

>     episodic        ftp://ftp.wco.com/pub/users/bbrace <
>    eccentric        ftp://ftp.netcom.com/pub/bb/bbrace <
>   continuous       ftp://ftp.teleport.com/users/bbrace <
>  hypermodern        ftp://ftp.rdrop.com/pub/users/bbrace <
> imagery online   ftp://ftp.pacifier.com/pub/users/bbrace <

Usenet News://alt.binaries.pictures.12hr/ a.b.p.fine-art.misc
Mailing-list: listserv@netcom.com / subscribe 12hr-isbn-jpeg
Reverse Solidus: http://www.teleport.com/~bbrace/bbrace.html

{ brad brace }  <<<< bbrace@netcom.com >>>>  ~finger for pgp

                                                                         - - - -
 - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - | 0 5 |
                                                                         - - - -

[cut&paste]  [content]  [context]  [contact]  [Thu 09/16/99, 10:25:36 CET +0200]
.................................object..type...................................
................................adilkno..dir....................................
..............................hakim.bey..dir....................................
..................critical.art.ensemble..dir....................................
.............................mike.davis..dir....................................
.........................gilles.deleuze..dir....................................
..........................harun.farocki..dir....................................
..........................gruppe.krisis..dir....................................
......................network.criticism..dir....................................
..................................rolux..dir....................................
.........................steven.shaviro..dir.....................................
.............situationist.international..dir....................................
.............................yugoslavia..dir....................................
[the rolux clipboard has been updated]  [http://www.rolux.org]  [---> cut&paste]

                                                                         - - - -
 - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - | 0 6 |
                                                                         - - - -

I've just added some stuff to the LBO website:

Two Kosovo-war-related articles from LBO #90

* a short postwar polemic <http://www.panix.com/~dhenwood/AfterWar.html>, and

* a report of a hideously bellicose editorial meeting at Dissent
magazine led by guest of honor Field Marshall David Rieff. Dissent
editorial board member Jo-Ann Mort pronounced this article
"disgusting" <http://www.panix.com/~dhenwood/Dissent.html>, making it
especially satisfying to share with a wider audience via the web.

Updates using August figures to our pages on U.S. employment
<http://www.panix.com/~dhenwood/Stats_empl.html>, unemployment
<http://www.panix.com/~dhenwood/Stats_unempl.html>, and earnings
<http://www.panix.com/~dhenwood/Stats_earns.html> over the very long
term. The earnings page has updated productivity statistics, showing
the underwhelming performance of the New Economy, and the big gap
between productivity and pay. But still, as the charts show, real
earnings are up in the 1990s, a reversal of 1970s and 1980s trends..

Doug Henwood
Left Business Observer
250 W 85 St
New York NY 10024-3217 USA
+1-212-874-4020 voice  +1-212-874-3137 fax
email: <mailto:dhenwood@panix.com>

                                                                         - - - -

"Helping refugees rebuild their lives in Freedom"
http://www.intrescom.org/irc/ny.html
<http://www.intrescom.org/irc/ny.html>
update 06/2002 on request: these links don't work anymore,
now go to http://www.theIRC.org

When:  Thursday, October 7,  7 p.m. - midnight
Where: CB's 313 Gallery  (@ 313 Bowery St., New York,
NY)

Performing on two stages:

Acoustic stage:
  Cliff Rames
  Laurie MacAllister
  Laura Berman
  Julian Roman

Electric stage:
  Gran Fury
  Book of Sun
  Bloom
  Cynthia ramirez

    And
DJ Moni
Spinning Brazilian, Afrobeat & Latin infused rhythms.

Minimum donation: $15.00 (larger donations gratefully
accepted)

All proceeds to aid newly arriving refugees in the New
York Area

For tickets sales contact:

Iskra Cickovic
The International Rescue Committee
Refugee Resettlement Department
122 E. 42nd St., 25th Fl.
New York, NY 10168
phone: (212) 551-3122
fax: (212) 551-3101
e-mail:    iskra@intrescom.org
<mailto:iskra@intrescom.org>

I cannot attend the benefit, but enclosed is my/our
tax-deductible gift of:

$15__  $30__   $45__   $50__   $100__   other
$__________

for the IRC Refugee Resettlement Department in New
York.

___Check Enclosed (payable to: IRC-Resettlement Dept.),
or

___American Express    ___MasterCard     ___Visa

Account number:_____________________________ Exp.
Date:________

My Name:
Address:
City/State/Zip:
Phone:
E-mail:

 Volunteer With Refugee Families:

 I am interested in volunteering with the IRC's New
York Resettlement Dept.
 Please send me information .  Yes___      No___

The IRC also accepts in-kind donations of furniture,
household appliances,
toys and clothing (in good condition). Please call
(212) 551-3122 or e-mail
iskra@intrescom.org <mailto:iskra@intrescom.org> .
Your in-kind gift is also tax-deductible.

Thank you for supporting the IRC!

                                                                         - - - -
 - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - | 0 8 |
                                                                         - - - -

The 8th edition of CIAC's Electronic Art Magazine is now on line.

The Contents of the Magazine  include:

   * A Feature : Women on the Web
   * Interview with Alicia Felberbaum
   * Reviews on Web projects by Annie Abrahams,
     Natalie Bookchin, Heath Bunting and Olia Lialina, Alicia Felberbaum,
     Tina LaPorta, Debra Solomon, Gis=E8le Trudel and St=E9phane Claude,
     Victoria Vesna, virgil.
   * Perspective on Web art : Une nouvelle identit=E9 (the New You)
   * Spotlight on a Web site :  Bill Vorn and Louis-Philippe Demers
   * Calendar of exhibitions and events
   * News
   * Archives of previous issues

Thank you for your interest!

Sylvie Parent and Val=E9rie Lamontagne
Centre international d'art contemporain de Montr=E9al
http://www.ciac.ca

                                                                         - - - -
 - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - | 0 9 |
                                                                         - - - -

clubmedia no. 3.0 - September 13, 1999

We are pleased to announce clubmedia no. 3.0, launched on the occasion of
the Istanbul Art Biennale on September 17.

> clubmedia no 3.0 treats the net as exhibition space for art, design, music
and communication with the aim to continue with debates about universal
languages and collective imagination (everybody knows.. thats how it goes):

> Beral Madra compares in thesaurus is a treasure waves and passion, the
title of the Istanbul Art Biennal this year, with the shaking and suffering
caused by the giant earthquake on August 17 in the North Western Turkey.

> Thomas Büsch describes with e-mails by t@gent the condition of life in a
mega city like Istanbul where daily life means being prepared for the event
that is not explicitly planned for. And with so far so close he opens his
stereotype view to wherever he passed by in the world in the last ten years.

> Butch Morris offers with his Introduction to Conduction Vocabulary a
direction how to interact and how to create a spontaneous improvisational
dialogue with music, musicians and the environment. This introduction is the
starting point for an ongoing research about collective imagination,
perception and knowing what will be.

> Hüseyin Alptekin presents Kriz: Viva Vaia (In Vagina Veritas) a physical
exhibition that took place in Istanbul at Dulcinea Exhibition Space in April
1999. (An interview by Vasif Kortun). The printed catalogue was never
published because the print shop refused publishing after printing: in
vagina veritas in Istanbul.

http://www.clubmedia.de

© Istanbul/Berlin 1999
editor: Thomas Büsch
post: zivot@berlin.snafu.de

                                                                         - - - -
 - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - | 1 0 |
                                                                         - - - -

NEW MEDIA: working practices in the electronic arts
Conference - 12-14 November 1999, London, UK

The London School of Economics and Political Sciences (LSE) has received
funding from DGV of the European Commission to lead a project on working
practices in the electronic arts/media, in collaboration with four other
European partner organisations based in Germany, Ireland, France and the
Netherlands.  We are currently conducting research about the working lives
and experiences of artists and designers in six European countries, the
results of which will be published in October as a prelude to a major
conference to be held at the LSE.

The conference promises to be an important and high profile event, which
will place questions about new digital media on the political agenda.  In
addition to policy makers, academics and the arts organisations, it will
attract a number of important practitioners within the field.  We have asked
Laurie Anderson to be a keynote speaker, and have arranged several “fringe”
events focused on new media and arts.

There is no fee for attending the conference as all delegates must be
proposed by national governments, institutions and networks.  The LSE and
the European Commission would like your department to propose possible
delegates for this important event to ensure that your country or network is
represented in the debate.

Your proposals for delegates should include policy makers, academics and the
arts organisations as well as important practitioners working in the field
of electronic arts/media.  Please send the names of your proposed delegates
together with their full contact details, including telephone and fax
numbers and email addresses to the conference manager at the address below:

Michael Clarke, NEW MEDIA, 16 Eton St, Liverpool, L4 4DW, UK
tel/fax: +44 (0)151 524 2960, email:digitalmedia21@hotmail.com

All proposals should reach us no later than 20 September 1999.

                                                                         - - - -
 - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - | 1 1 |
                                                                         - - - -

?net_condition?Kunst?im?Online-Universum?23.?09.?1999?-?09.?01.?2000

http://www.BerlinOnline.de/aktuelles/berliner_zeitung/medien/.html/3artik02.html

?????? Publiziert?am?Donnerstag,?12.August?1999?von?:?die?redaktion?.

??????DEUTSCH:

??????netz_bedingung?/?net_condition?Kunst?im?Online-Universum?23.?09.?1999?-?09
.?01.?2000

?????ENGLISCH:

??????netz_bedingung?/?net_condition?Art?in?the?Online?Universe?23?September?199
9?-?9?January?2000

??????An?exhibition?which?takes?place?as?a?multilocal?networked?event?simultaneo
usly?in?four?cities:?Karlsruhe?(ZKM),?Graz?(steirischer?herbst),?Tokyo?(ICC?Inte
rCommunication?Center),?and?Barcelona?(MECAD?Media?Centre?d'Art?i?Disseny).

??????This?exhibition?project?with?about?100?positions?does?not?only?attempt?to?
provide?a?comprehensive?synopsis?of?the?current?state?of?net.art,

??????but?intends?above?all?to?give?an?introduction?to?the?political?economic?id
eas,?to?social?practices?and?artistic?applications?of?the?online
?communication?within?the?net?community.

??????Net.art?-?reaching?from?physical?local?installations?to?the?world-widely?l
inked?computer?games?-has?become?the?forum,?within?which?most?of

??????the?emancipatory?hopes?of?the?avant-garde?art?have?been?formulated?anew.?N
et.art?is?thus?not?only?the?most?recent?phase?of?media?art

??????characterising?the?media?discourse,?(following?video?sculpture?of?the?80's
?and?interactive?computer?installations?of?the?90's)?but?is?also?the

??????art?form?to?which?the?greatest?political?utopian?ideas?are?attached.?One?c
ondition?and?a?principle?reflection?that?feed?the?interest?in?the

??????development?of?a?global?network,?is?the?belief?that?the?social-revolutiona
ry?hopes?of?the?historical?avant-garde?can?be?fulfilled ?technologically?now.

??????Every?new?medium,?every?new?technical?image?carrier,?relinquishes?several?
characteristics?as?compared?to?the?previous?image?media,?but

??????generally?introduces?several?new?characteristics?that?are?superior?to?hist
orical?image?media?in?terms?of?certain?aspects.?Thus,?the

??????emergence?of?new?image?media?will?not?efface?the?old?image?media,?instead?
the?new?media?will?force?its?conditions?on?the?old?media.?"The

??????Photographic?Condition"?(Rosalind?Krauss)?has?changed?painting,?video?has?
changed?film,?digital?technology?has?changed?film?and?video,

??????etc.?The?net?changes?image?media?and?literature.?The?focus?of?this?exhibit
ion?project?is?thus?on?investigating?what?conditions?are?being

??????introduced?by?the?net?and?to?what?new?conditions?the?historical?media?as?w
ell?as?the?historical?social?forms?of?communication?and?economy?have?been?subjug
ated?by?the?net.

??????The?net_condition?is?not?only?reduced?to?two-dimensional?images?and?texts?
on?the?screen,?but?rather?the?net?in?virtual?space?controls?the

??????sequence?of?events?in?real?space?and?the?events?in?real?space?control?the?
sequence?of?events?in?virtual?space.?Shared?virtual?realities,

??????shared?cyberspace,?dislocated?communication,?multi-user?environments?and?a
n?island?of?net-games?are?the?focuses?of?the?exhibition.

??????Dozens?of?local?players?in?the?exhibition?space?will?interact?with?dozens?
of?world-widely-distributed?players?in?the?virtual?net-space.

??????A?second?major?focus?is?to?demonstrate?specific?production?procedures?and?
control?mechanisms?of?this?interactive?online?communication?in

??????the?net.?In?a?separate?lounge,?curated?by?Walter?van?der?Cruijsen?(co-foun
der?of?The?Digital?City?Amsterdam)?the?diversity?of?virtual

??????neighbourhoods,?of?the?numerous?urban?projects,?social?intervention?and?op
inion?pools?will?be?presented?in?discussions,?publications?and

??????online?chats.?Of?course,?the?exhibition?will?also?be?on?show?online.?For?e
xample?Benjamin?Weil,?the?founder?of?ada-web?and?currently

??????net-curator?at?the?ICA?London?(Institute?for?Contemporary?Art)?will?set?up
?an?online?historical?overview?of?the?most?important?chapters?of?net.art.

??????Peter?Weibel?conceived?the?exhibition.?He?has?selected?the?artists?for?net
_condition?together?with?the?curators?on?location,?Jeffrey?Shaw,

??????Hans-Peter?Schwarz,?Johannes?Goebel?and?Matthias?Osterwold?(Karlsruhe),?Pe
ter?Weibel?(Graz),?Toshiharu?Itoh?(Tokyo)?and?Claudia ?Giannetti?(Barcelona).

??????On?the?occasion?of?the?exhibition?a?catalogue?will?be?published?in?English.