Christine Treguier on Mon, 30 Aug 1999 17:19:54 +0200 (CEST)

<nettime> law project in France

As you are discussing french civil servants, here is some recent
information I wonder what these people who knew hardly nothing about the
Net not so long ago will end up with, but I hope the consultation will be
more than wide.

On august 26, First Minister Lionnel Jospin annouced that the gouvernment
is going to work on a draft to adapt french law to Internet, which will be
presented to the parliament next year.  Dominique Strauss-Kahn (minisiter
of economy) is leading the project, and will work closely with Elizabeth
Guigou (minister of justice)  and Catherine Trautman (minister of culture
and communications). This law will define among others the judicial norms
in domains such as communication privacy, "complete freedom of
cryptography's use", consummer protection, security of commercial
transactions on the web, fight against crime, "protection of contents and
copyrights"  according to Jospin.  It will be preceded by an "orientation
document" which will be widely opened for consultation in october.

We will be in the leading group for the development of Internet's second
generation, claimed Jospin, proudly mentionning the six billions francs
spent by the Action Program for Information Society, and an estimated
growth of Internet of +45% during the last six months.

According tout Le Monde, Jospin added that a central office in charge of
fighting against crimes related to new technologies will be created in the
next few weeks within the General Direction of Police.

Christine