Max Bruinsma on Thu, 26 Aug 1999 19:09:46 +0200 (CEST)

<nettime> First Things First

FIRST THINGS FIRST 2000
A MANIFESTO

The manifesto below summons designers, visual communicators and
advertisers worldwide to concentrate on things more serious than promoting
dogfood and deodorants...

The manifesto, signed by 33 prominent graphic designers, art-directors and
critics, is published jointly this Autumn by seven international design
magazines: Adbusters (CAN), The AIGA Journal (USA), Blueprint (UK), Emigre
(USA), Eye (UK), Form (BDR), Items (NL).

The manifesto aims at stimulating the debate on the cultural and social
responsibility of designers. Signatories and publishers welcome its free
distribution.

For more information and background (introductions by Rick Poynor and
Chris Dixon, and the original 1964 manifesto that inspired First Things
First 2000): http://www.xs4all.nl/~maxb/ftf2000.htm

Reactions to: adbusters@adbusters.org editor@emigre.com maxb@xs4all.nl

           First Things First 2000
           a manifesto

           We, the undersigned, are graphic designers, art
           directors and visual communicators who have been
           raised in a world in which the techniques and
           apparatus of advertising have persistently been
           presented to us as the most lucrative, effective and
           desirable use of our talents. Many design teachers
           and mentors promote this belief; the market rewards
           it; a tide of books and publications reinforces it.

           Encouraged in this direction, designers then apply
           their skill and imagination to sell dog biscuits,
           designer coffee, diamonds, detergents, hair gel,
           cigarettes, credit cards, sneakers, butt toners,
           light beer and heavy-duty recreational vehicles.
           Commercial work has always paid the bills, but many
           graphic designers have now let it become, in large
           measure, what graphic designers do. This, in turn,
           is how the world perceives design. The profession's
           time and energy is used up manufacturing demand for
           things that are inessential at best.

           Many of us have grown increasingly uncomfortable
           with this view of design. Designers who devote their
           efforts primarily to advertising, marketing and
           brand development are supporting, and implicitly
           endorsing, a mental environment so saturated with
           commercial messages that it is changing the very way
           citizen-consumers speak, think, feel, respond and
           interact. To some extent we are all helping draft a
           reductive and immeasurably harmful code of public
           discourse.

           There are pursuits more worthy of our
           problem-solving skills. Unprecedented environmental,
           social and cultural crises demand our attention.
           Many cultural interventions, social marketing
           campaigns, books, magazines, exhibitions,
           educational tools, television programs, films,
           charitable causes and other information design
           projects urgently require our expertise and help.

           We propose a reversal of priorities in favor of more
           useful, lasting and democratic forms of
           communication - a mindshift away from product
           marketing and toward the exploration and production
           of a new kind of meaning. The scope of debate is
           shrinking; it must expand. Consumerism is running
           uncontested; it must be challenged by other
           perspectives expressed, in part, through the visual
           languages and resources of design.

           In 1964, 22 visual communicators signed the original
           call for our skills to be put to worthwhile use.
           With the explosive growth of global commercial
           culture, their message has only grown more urgent.
           Today, we renew their manifesto in expectation that
           no more decades will pass before it is taken to
           heart.

           signed:

           Jonathan Barnbrook
           Nick Bell