nettime maillist on Tue, 22 Jun 1999 04:52:15 +0200 (CEST)

Mihajlo Acimovic: NEED INVITATION FOR EU (fwd)

<nettime-l-temp@material.net> is the temporary home of the nettime-l list
while desk.nl rebuilds its list-serving machine.  please continue to send
messages to <nettime-l@desk.nl> and your commands to <majordomo@desk.nl>.
nettime-l-temp should be active for approximately 2 weeks (11-28 Jun 99).

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 1999 02:35:38 -0700 (PDT)
From: Mihajlo Acimovic <m_acimovic@yahoo.com>
To: organise@tao.ca, syndicate@aec.at, novalista@egroups.com,
    nettime@desk.nl, ex-yu-a-lista@zamir.net, macim@angelfire.com
Subject: NEED INVITATION FOR EU

  Everybody

Hope I’m not too boring whith constant states of emergency. I’m from .yu.
I’m in budapest now. I need an invitation for a seminar, or some
cultural/arts/journalist acitivity. I need it cause for .yu citizens
(Serbs), it’s not possible to get visa in any other way. Once I’m inside,
I can arrange for staying permanently. I’m ready to do whatever the
program requires. I have previous journalist experience ("Virus",
journalist workshops and schools, I held a seminar on journalism once in
Kovacica (yu)); I am in several social action groups in .yu (XXL Creative
Youth Group, Postpessimists Belgrade, Yugoslav Youth Association for
Combat Against AIDS…) and was an activist of Antiwar Campaign and
Resistance!. I was even coordinator of the media solutions group in the
Antiwar Campaign. I'm 18 years old, have just graduated from highschool.
I’ve found a place to stay until August 1st. still need an invitation for
EU as soon as possible, because the embassies are moving back to Belgrade
very soon and if I apply too late, I’ll have to go to Belgrade to do it.
If I go back to Belgrade, it will be almost impossible to get out again,
at least until September. I presume they will reopen the border for men by
then, but even in peacetime, military obligants who have not yet served
the army need a confirmation from the military department every time they
want to leave the country. To get that I would have to have an invitation,
and after I had both the permision and invitation, I’d have to apply for a
visa. It takes long. Whatever I would be going to could end before I get
everything I need (alternative: I could bribe to get it sooner). Besides,
I had a permision to leave the country for 5 days. I’ve already surpassed
that time. If they notice this, I will be courtmarshaled, cause leaving
the country illegally during wartime is equal (in terms of .yu law) to
desertion. In other words, if I don’t either apply for visa here very
soon, or go back very soon, I could be trapped in Hungaria. Of course,
there’s always a possibility that they wouldn’t check on me if I went back
and that I won’t (yet) be called by the military for regrutation, but if I
don’t enlist at Belgrade University by July (or August?), that possiblity
will become theoretical.  Notice: Regrutation means that they call every
military obligant when he turns 18, just to check if he is capable of
serving the military and to see that he will show up when called for
conscription. If a .yu citizen wants to be a concientious objector, he has
to state it then. For some reason, I have not yet been called for this.
Probably because I’m not listed in any municipal military department.
However, the army seized and copied all lists of highschool students from
the schools and it is quite possible that they would check if I enlisted
whith a university. If they found out I didn’t, I would certainly be
conscripted (Students can postpone serving the army until they graduate or
turn 27 or 28 years of age). Hope someone can help me, or else…

           Mihajlo Acimovic

*****for important messages use*****
macim@angelfire.com