nettime on Sun, 13 Jun 1999 12:25:27 +0200 (CEST)

Hauben: Role of Government-Science Interface in Development ofInternet

<nettime-l-temp@material.net> is the temporary home of the nettime-l list
while desk.nl rebuilds its list-serving machine.  please continue to send
messages to <nettime-l@desk.nl> and your commands to <majordomo@desk.nl>.
nettime-l-temp should be active for approximately 2 weeks (11-28 Jun 99).

Date: Fri, 11 Jun 1999 20:46:34 -0400 (EDT)
From: ronda@umcc.ais.org (Ronda Hauben)
To: nettime-l@Desk.nl
Subject:  Role of Government-Science Interface in Development of Internet

On the Need for Research and Support for Research on

  the Role of Government and of Science in the

     Development of the Internet

I have been finding some interesting material in my efforts
to study the role of government in the U.S. in the creation
of the Internet.  In the process I found that there was
an important set of interviews documenting the experiences
of the computer scientists who were part of the Information
Processing Techniques Office (IPTO) and of those in the
research community they helped to create during the 1962-1986
period.

This work has set a basis for more serious study and
research about the IPTO research community.

A recent experience with a Foundation, however, has made
it clear that finding a source of support for such
research work related to the Internet and the role of
government in building the Internet is not going to be easy.

This experience has confirmed for me that in a time of
neoliberalism, it will be difficult to get support for
research into how a successful scientist-government
interface creating a new kind of institution within
government (rather than the so called "market") has
been the basis for a number of the important computer
science advances of our times.

Such research needs to be done as it helps to unveil
the mythology being created about the "market" and its
virtues and instead helps to make more widely known what
the real experience is that has helped to create the
technological and scientific breakthroughs making such
an impact on society today.

It is interesting to note that in the past it has taken
serious efforts of many people and the use of government
procedures like Congressional hearings (in the experience
in the U.S.) to explore the problems that exist when
trying to have a good interface between government and
science. The result of such efforts in the U.S. was a
very special government entity which came to be known
as the ARPA Information Processing Techniques Office
or IPTO.

My proposal has to do with studying the interface and
interrelationship between the ARPA IPTO director and
program managers and the IPTO computer science research
community that they helped to create and support.

I wondered if anyone has suggestions of a Foundation or
other mechanism of finding funding to support doing such
research.

Such work will provide important lessons about how to
build the needed government-science institutions that
will make it possible for the Internet to continue to
grow and flourish.

Following is a an excerpt from  my proposal. I welcome comments or
suggestions on how to further pursue support for this research topic.
(Also this topic would benefit from being done in collaboration
with researchers in other countries studying the role of
government and science in their nations in developing the Internet)

                          From
                    Research Proposal:

     A Study of the IPTO Computer Science Research Community
                           (1962-1986)

     A number of books and articles about the Internet and the
important computer developments of our time refer to the
Information Processing Techniques Office (IPTO) at the Advanced
Research Projects Agency (ARPA) within the U.S. Department of
Defense (DOD). This office of ARPA was created in 1962 and it
continued to make important contributions to computer science
development in the U.S. and the world until it was ended in 1986.
Yet very little is known about the office and its development.

     Under IPTO's direction computing went from batch processing
to interactive computing, graphic capabilities of computers were
revolutionized, packet switching was developed into the ARPANET
which spread around the U.S., the field of artificial
intelligence (AI) led to important breakthroughs in robotics,
expert systems and identifying other important capabilities
of computers, and the Internet protocol TCP/IP was created and
led to an internetwork of networks which spread round the world.
These are only a few of the outstanding computer science
achievements which occurred under the leadership of this
office. Yet there has been little research study and attention
paid to the role of this office as an institution within
government and to the interactions with the computer science
research community that it helped to create and which in turn
provided the needed input for its leadership.

     Very few books or articles even refer to this topic. The one
book that has been written "Transforming Computer Technology" by
Arthur Norberg and Judy O'Neill (Baltimore, 1996) focuses on the
technological accomplishments under this office, rather than on
the institutional processes that made these technological
accomplishments possible.

     There are, however, a series of interviews of the IPTO
research community done by the Charles Babbage Institute and
funded by the IPTO before it was ended. I am interested in
studying these interviews to explore what it is possible to learn
about the role of the IPTO in supporting and giving leadership to
make possible these important computer science breakthroughs. I
am interested in the role of government and the role of the
computer science research community and the interface between
them to make computer science leaps possible.

     I have done some preliminary research which clarifies the
serious considerations given to how to interface scientists and
government which was carried out in the 1950's and which prepared
the way for the creation of ARPA. I want to explore the
additional insight that can be gained from the experience of IPTO
in creating an appropriate interface between science and
government. Also the ARPANET and then the Internet helped to
provide a broader set of input and communication for the IPTO
after they were created by this office. I want to look at how the
developing network impacted the work at IPTO. There is at least
one mailing list archives I have access to which will make it
possible to pursue this question....

--------

Thanks for any help with this.

Ronda
ronda@umcc.ais.org

                 Netizens: On the History and Impact
                     of Usenet and the Internet
               http://www.columbia.edu/~hauben/netbook/
             Published by the IEEE Computer Society Press
                      ISBN # 0-8186-7706-6