Geert Lovink on Thu, 27 May 1999 10:25:09 +0200 (CEST)

<nettime> Viridian Note 00068: Household Localizers

Date: Wed, 26 May 1999 22:33:59 -0500
From: Bruce Sterling <bruces@well.com>
To: Viridian List <viridian@fringeware.com>
Subject: Viridian Note 00068: Household Localizers

Key concepts: housekeeping, ubiquitous computing, tangible
cyberspace, digital localizers, anti-theft tags,  ACM
SIGCHI 99

Attention Conservation Notice: It's not a custom-written
Viridian note, but a brief speech recently delivered to
2,500 computer-human interface designers.

Links: http://www.acm.org/sigchi/
The Viridian Library:
http://www.well.com/conf/mirrorshades/viridian/

Entries in the Viridian Power Banner Contest:
http://www.ugrad.cs.jhu.edu/~rmharman/img/viridian/warn.fo
ssil.gif
http://www.subterrane.com
http://www.netaxs.com/~morgana
(note dino animation at bottom of page)
http://www.phuq.com/viridian
http://www.freeyellow.com/members6/vandewater/banner.gif
http://humlog.homestead.com/viridianart/index.html
http://www.powerbase-alpha.com/bigmike/banner.html
http://www.stewarts.org/users/stewarts/sunservr.html
http://www.dux.ru/digbody/viridian/vir.htm
http://members.aol.com/stjude/viridian
http://www.id.iit.edu/~chad/viridian/viridian_banner.htm
http://www.dnai.com/~catnhat/viridianbanners.htm
and
http://www.erols.com/ljaurbach/Banners.htm
This contest expires May 31, 01999

Presentation at SIGCHI 99
Association for Computing Machinery
Special Interest Group on Computer-Human Interaction
Pittsburg, Pennsylvania, USA
May 18, 01999

by Bruce Sterling

    For my mercifully brief presentation today, I'd like
to talk in a rather unromantic, practical way about the
interface between humanity and its stuff. My humble topic
is that ancient curse, humanity's most basic task:
housekeeping.

    First, let's try to get the technological big picture,
and then we'll get into some practical, everyday
implications.

     I'll use myself and my own life as a cogent example
here.  I think I'm rather typical of most SIGCHI attendees
in that I now have two classes of possessions:  actual
possessions, and virtual possessions.  Over the last
twenty years, I've gotten my hot little hands on much more
of both classes, but mostly, an explosive increase in the
second class, virtual stuff.  I own  a hell of a lot of
virtual stuff now.  A Guatemalan family of four could live
an upwardly mobile life on the revenue I spend on data
flows.  Especially if you count my cable TV, phone bills,
Internet hookup, software, modems, PCs and the household
security system.

    So, if there's a difference between my two classes of
possessions, it isn't the money involved.  No, the truly
remarkable thing about  my virtual stuff is its anomalous
relationship to property law.  Is it my property, or isn't
it my property?  Who knows?  I sure don't know.  I've got
virtual stuff that is freeware, it's shareware, it's cut-
and-pasted from heaven knows where. It's personal, it's
public,  I made some of it myself,  and every flavor of so
on.

   Even the stuff I bought direct from Steve Jobs and Bill
Gates doesn't actually belong to me.  It came almost
mummified in complicated shrinkwrap declarations, so even
though I paid real money, carried the box home, and
installed the contents myself, I don't actually own this
stuff.  I kind of license it, or rent it, apparently.

    The Software Publishers Association says that I'm to
regard this purchased virtual property as something like a
chair.  I'm supposed to believe that software is a
physical, sacred property that will stay in one place and
under one legal identity, forever.  Or until release 2.0,
whichever comes first.  Even though, for instance, I used
Netscape for years, when it was college freeware, and then
a booming corporation, and then open-source code, and then
a division of AOL, and then, probably, nothing at all but
a memory, except that I'll still be using Netscape,
because I'm really lazy.

    Here's my pitch in a nutshell:  I can't imagine
virtual property becoming anything much like a chair.
Butt I can easily imagine chairs becoming much, much more
like virtual property.

   This idea is probably best filed under the grand
conceptual heading of "tangible cyberspace," i.e., the
process in which the products, programs, and innate nature
of virtuality spill out of the computer screen and infect
the physical world.

     People used to talk about "wiring the home."  This is
old-fashioned rhetoric now. Turn the term inside out, and
it becomes "sheltering your network." It all becomes clear
if you postulate that the net always comes first.  My
physical possessions are an aspect of the net.

     Today, right now, if you objectively compare my
virtual possessions to my actual possessions, it rapidly
becomes obvious that my actual possessions are violently
out of control.  I have all kinds of searching and
cataloging devices and services for my desktop machine,
and for the Internet.  But I've been known to hunt for my
socks or my car keys for almost an hour.

     My house is an awful mess, because my actual
possessions are very stupid.  They don't know what they
are, they don't know where they are, and they don't know
where they belong.

     All this could change with a small, cheap, network
peripheral which is, I believe, just barely over the
technical horizon. The device I imagine is very similar to
a common antitheft device, but much smarter.  We could
call it a "tab," or a "localizer," or a "locator ID tag."

    I imagine this locator ID tag having about a hundred k
of memory and costing about ten cents.   It probably runs
on household temperature fluctuations.   Its primary
activity is to emit a unique radio chirp every two seconds
or so.  This chirp is triangulated by a network of
receivers in my house and my lawn.  Basically, the chip
says, "I'm what I am, and here's where I am," in other
words, "I am Bruce Sterling's left cowboy boot, and here I
am under the couch where the cat dragged me."

     Fine, you think:  you're tagging everything you own,
how anal and geeky of you.  No, that's not how this works.
I'm way too lazy to work that hard.  Instead, I pay a
professional interior designer to come in and tag
everything for me.  I pay this guy (most likely she's a
very smart woman actually), to catalog and tag everything
I own, and put it where it sensibly belongs == and record
that data, and embed it in my system for me.

    Now I know nothing, but  my house knows where all my
stuff is.  My possessions know what they are, and where
they belong.  Unskilled labor can enter my home, and
restore everything to perfect order in maybe an hour.

     And of course no one can steal any of it, because
it's all security tagged, automatically.

    Everything I own is a police sting.  These tags are
really small, you see?  The size of a fingernail paring,
and tougher than a tenpenny nail.  Cops always say to put
an ID on your bicycle, but everything I own has a very
smart, active ID.

      You might think that I find it kind of distasteful
to have strangers going through all my stuff.  Sure, there
are some things I worry about, like my bong, my vibrator,
and my ball-gag, but most of this nervous anxiety about
the safety of my possessions is just ingrained habit.   If
I always know where it is, and I can never lose it,  and
it answers whenever I call for it, then it just surrounds
me in an undistinguished haze of cyberstuff. I don't worry
about it any more than I worry about the exact location of
the segments on my hard drive.

    I never have to remember where I put anything again.
"Things are in the saddle, and ride mankind," as Ralph
Waldo Emerson used to say, but in this case, I am
triumphantly clearing the processing space in my own head
of literally thousands of unconscious catalogs.  How many
scissors do I have, how many staplers do I have?  I never
really use more than one at a time.

    My materialist obsession becomes a de-materialist
obsession.  There's just as much money around as there
ever was, I accomplish everything I did before, but
there's a lot less junk underfoot.  Less mass == more
data!

    It sounds like heaven, doesn't it?

O=c=O O=c=O O=c=O O=c=O O=c=O O=c=O O=c=O O=c=O O=c=O
THIS EMAIL MOVED STICKY BLACK FILTH FROM THE BOWELS
OF THE EARTH, AND SET IT ON FIRE IN YOUR AIR
O=c=O O=c=O O=c=O O=c=O O=c=O O=c=O O=c=O O=c=O O=c=O

---