nettime's_digestive_system on Fri, 21 May 1999 19:59:52 +0200 (CEST)

<nettime> granchergram 052199 [digest]: dominique, kosick

dominique@hushmail.com
         VALERY GRANCHER: NET.ARTS FIRST REBEL.
Terrence J Kosick <kosick@sprint.ca>
         Re: RHIZOME_RAW: VALERY GRANCHER: NET.ARTS FIRST REBEL.

From: dominique@hushmail.com
Date: Fri May 21 02:04:46 EDT 1999
Subject: VALERY GRANCHER: NET.ARTS FIRST REBEL.

     [both orig messages also to/cc rhizome]

VALERY GRANCHER: NET.ARTS FIRST REBEL.

Art fields are always in a stage of metamorphosis, changing from the darling
seedlings of "free form" creativity, where rough edges are neccesary towards
creating the definition of its spirit. There soon comes the marginal
institutionalization; the introduction of museums, money making models and
whatnot, met early on with the resistance of the underground scene which
created it- yet, the older its participants become, and the less romantic "free
art" becomes, the more likely that the further institutionalizations will gain
way over the seedling and allow it to come to full academically discussed
bloom.

The only value free art has is in the romanticism of its early formative years.
Yet new media and web based art is by definition free, available to all, and
repellant to its neccesary institutionalization. No art seedling can thrive
without the sunlight of cash flow...all that remains without it is an
underground network of nebulous potential, and all else is simply romantic
posturing.

It is rare then to encounter a master craftsman who remains as rebellious in
spirit while participating in the academic blossom of his or her craft. While
constructing a thesis on internet art I encountered the stunning work of Valery
Grancher...

http://www.imaginet.fr/nomemory/ Is the location of a truly revolutionary
artist at work. Who else would protest NATO bombings in the wake of such a
public outcry of support for the bombing campaign which has cost thousands
their homes and lives?

Valery also explores the true interactive nature of the web by urging the
non-educated to take part and to be showcased. Events with the Candy Factory in
Japan create a rare opportunity for individuals whom would otherwise not
consider themselves to be "creative" to interact with the work on the WWW.

Valery is a master of subtlety and perseverance. His bold statements oftentimes
incur bold reactions. This is the supreme goal of any "artist:" the reaction!.
Yet the number of attacks on Valery do not sway him. There is not even a hint
of re-evaluation despite the barrage of data, facts, figures and "realities"
which are thrown in his direction. This perseverance is admirable in a society
based on constant re-evaluation and analysis of ideologies. This weakness is
not Granchers.

For instance, his recent "black page" project for Yugoslavian War Victims (and,
in fact, "All War Victims In General") was such a shocking statement- who would
dedicate art to the War Victims? With the abundance of pro-NATO work on the
world wide web, coupled with strong anti-war victim sentiment, such a statement
could be determined to be a simple shock technique. Yet the subtlety with which
Grancher handled the piece was evident of a true master. In numerous emails,
which he was bold enough to send from his own address and sign his own name to,
he declared the "Anonymous Black Screen" Project, which revolutionized both
anti-war movements and the definitions of anonymity on the internet. You can
still view this Black page online: http://www.imaginet.fr/nomemory/

The work is subtle, yet the actual purpose of the page does not underscore its
usefulness: Highlight the page and you will see that it is still a functional
index. Many others would perhaps limit the page to true black, yet Valery
allows the user to percieve the message even stronger by allowing access to his
other works of the same calibre.

One wonders if such a revolutionary artist - see the use of animated .gifs on
his index page for an example- ( http://www.imaginet.fr/nomemory/index2.htm )
would be accepted by mainstream art houses even after these shocking and
innovative departures from the common day drudgery of internet art, which is
seemingly content with simple movement and progression.

Valery is an artist who refuses to speak anything but his mind, as loudly as he
can. Strong anti-Grancher sentiment lies in the wake of his work for his entire
life; as it does for every truly revolutionary artist.

To access this amazing work:
http://www.imaginet.fr/nomemory/

Various Prose and Viewpoints:
http://www.7-11.org

Get HushMail. The world's first free, fully encrypted, web-based email system.
Speak freely with HushMail.... http://www.hushmail.com