John Gilmore on Sat, 15 May 1999 04:34:03 +0200 (CEST)

<nettime> Re: More confirmation re: Serbian Internet

    [orig To: John Perry Barlow <barlow@eff.org>,
              Slobodan Markovic <twiddle@EUnet.yu>,
              tbyfield@panix.com, geert@xs4all.nl,
              drazen@opennet.org, abroeck@v2.nl
          CC: eff-all@eff.org, gnu@toad.com]

> >    Sreckovic, that "they will be forced to shut satellite feed to
> >    Yugoslav Internet providers".
> >
> >    "This decision is a result of Executive Order signed by president
> >    Bill Clinton, which forbids providing of services to Federal
> >    Republic of Yugoslavia (Serbia and Montenegro)"

I wonder if any Russian ISP's, telcos, or the Russian government are
in a position to provide satellite telecommunications to the Serbian
ISPs on an emergency basis?

What a sad circumstance when one's own country is insanely making
war, and one must rely on other powers in the world to do the right
thing.

	John Gilmore
	not proud to be a US citizen

---