nettime's_indigestive_system on Wed, 28 Apr 1999 20:05:47 +0200 (CEST)

<nettime> geertogram 042899: uncertainties, jewish world review, exile

Geert Lovink <geert@xs4all.nl>
          Uncertainties of a Conflict
          Jewish World Review April 27, 1999 /11 Iyar 5759
          "Exile" "Editorial"

Date: Wed, 28 Apr 1999 07:31:44 +0200 (CEST)
From: Geert Lovink <geert@xs4all.nl>
Subject: (fwd) Uncertainties of a Conflict

Fwd. from: JUSTWATCH-L@LISTSERV.ACSU.BUFFALO.EDU

Uncertainties of a Conflict
Ernesto Galli Della Loggia
CORRIERE DELLA SERA, 27 April 1999

"We entered this war without precise objectives, unprepared, without
plans: nobody knows when it will be possible to win it, and how"; "The
bombardment of Serbia from air does not produce the foreseen effects, it
clearly does not serve the purpose, and it was a mistake to consider it a
strategic fulcrum of the operation"; "The war has not put an end to the
deportations of Kosovars: so why do it?  The NATO has committed an error
in calculation, believing that Milosevic would give up."

These are, more or less, the views and questions which could have
frequently been read and heard since the beginning of the attack against
Serbia.  Views and questions, let us be clear about it, which almost never
correspond automatically to a rejection of the attack in principle, but,
on the contrary, quite often accompany an approval thereof; and yet they
are of such weight that in the end the approval is pushed into the
background, or almost disappears.

The fact that these views and questions are so widespread is not in itself
a proof that they are well-founded and/or reasonable.  On the contrary, it
seems to me that they bear witness of a whole of ideas which, disregarding
experience from the past completely, prove to be utterly unrealistic (and
therefore wrong): not just with regard to this war, but, in general, with
regard to what any war is and how it "functions".

I will examine a couple of these unrealistic and unreasonable ideas, but
not before I reiterate a banal and important truth, which regards all
social facts in general, and war in particular.  And that is that, as a
rule, almost nothing of what is thought of as being logical to happen
actually happens: this to the point that only when an event arrives to its
conclusion one can say with some certainty that it was concluded in
positive or negative way, and for whom it was positive or negative.  It
will suffice here to remind to the beginning of the Gulf war, eight years
ago, when in every possible way many - and the pacifists in particular -
tried to convince us that the war would create a scary anti-Western wave
in the entire Arab world, on the long run it would have a destabilizing
effect in the area, and relations between Israel and the states in the
region would reach a level of unimaginable tension.  Well, as we know now,
nothing of this happened, and, moreover, a peace process between Arabs and
Jews has affirmed itself, and continued to resist.

That said, it should be remembered that for democratic countries it is
rather difficult to start wars with precise plans and fully prepared.
Blitz-kriegs, devastating attacks a la Pearl Harbor, are appanage of the
regimes which have planned hostilities and aggressions in secrecy, instead
of resorting to them as extreme measures.  The line of conduct of the
democracies is inevitably consisted in the motto "Let's start, then we'll
see"; even more so because democracies have to subordinate every military
move to an external political limitation, that is to the consensus of the
public opinion.  In other words, in democratic countries as the ones
belonging to the NATO, military options cannot be exclusively adopted on
the basis of a criterion of technical efficiency, but rather have to
possess a political practicability.  The most destructive military
instruments, and the ones most expensive in terms of human lives
(including the ones on its own side), can be used only when the public
opinion arrives - even if only because of a continuation of the
hostilities - to consider it justified resorting to them.

It is rather probable, for example, that in September 1939 only a small
number of Englishmen would have accepted that the RAF proceeded with an
all-out bombardment of German cities; not more than a year later, however,
as we know, the situation was quite different.

This helps explaining why many feel that the NATO operations against
Serbia are uncertain and inconclusive, and therefore lack any "plan" and
do not have any precise objective.  But, even leaving out of consideration
the reasons for which these operations are, at least in part, inevitably
such, or seem to be such, who can assure us that they really are such?
Who can say, to us laymen, that the bombardment really serves no purpose?

Certainly, until the moment just before Milosevic will have given up, the
operations will make such impression; but it is perfectly possible - and
even quite likely - that due to the bombardment the moment is getting
close.  Even the [Italian] Fascism, seen from outside, on July 24, 1943,
seemed to stand firmly in power.  The day after it was obvious to what
extent it had been a pure appearance.

As for the deportations of Kosovars, it is true that the war was not able
to stop them, and to some extent even accelerated them.  But those who
find this a strong argument proving uselessness of the military operation
against Serbia, and even blame the operation for these deportations, for
the reasons of consistency should apply the same line of reasoning to all
other similar cases.  And then, for example, they should equally argue
that the war against the Hitler's Germany was not only "useless" but even
counterproductive, from the point of view of the victims, as the Nazi
persecution of the Jews did not stop and even proceeded to the stage of
their extermination.  They would have to claim, in short, that it is
always better for the victims that their butchers remain undisturbed,
because otherwise they might get angry and proceed with even worse
butchery.

For the time being, the war continues.  Only its outcome will tell us
whether it was useful or useless, and, above all, who won and who lost,
and what were the consequences for both sides.  Or, better: regardless of
any present doubt in that respect, the outcome will tell us who was
winning the war from the beginning, and who was losing it from the
beginning.