McKenzie Wark on Thu, 15 Apr 1999 09:29:26 +0200 (CEST)

<nettime> RE: Disappearing Publics Forums

DISAPPEARING PUBLICS FORUMS

Disappearing Publics is concerned with the radical changes in public
culture. As a consequence of increasing privatization and globalization
there is a fundamental change in the way governments and institutions
are defining their role in public life. In retrospect, it now appears
that Thatcherism was only the beginning of changes to civic society
across the world. Whether you work for public television, in either a
university or a prison, there are more and more pressures to measure
the value of work and service according to commercial criteria. Are
these changes the result of a new economic rationalism or a shift in
political will. To understand these broad changes we need to hear a
diverse range of voices. Architects, curators, academics, media
figures, artists are all affected by the radical changes in public
culture. In this series of discussions we will address the complex ways
that change is occurring in public space. Some key questions for the
discussions include:

What is the history of the concept of the public?

Why are current governments selling the public?

Who cares about the public?

What is a civic space in a global city?

How do media technologies redefine public spaces?

What is the location of art in a disappearing public?

The form of the discussions for the 'Disappearing Publics' will involve
speakers sharing their experiences and insights in the form of an open
conversation. Each event will be chaired by Nikos Papastergiadis. The
speakers will be drawn from a variety of backgrounds and professional
positions. Each speaker will be invited to make a brief presentation of
about 10-15 minutes. The form of that presentation is not preset, it
could include slides or a short video. This will then lead to broader
discussion with comments and questions from the audience.

TUESDAY 27 APRIL 7PM

ANNA KOKKINOS Director, Head On

SANTO CILAURO The Panel, Channel 10

HETTI PERKINS Curator, Contemporary Aboriginal Art, AGNSW

EMERITUS PROFESSOR GILL BOTTOMLEY Macquarie Uni

TUESDAY 25 MAY 7PM

DR SCOTT MCQUIRE School of Social Inquiry, Deakin Uni

PROFESSOR IEN ANG School of Cultural History & Futures, UWS

JOHN HUGHES Independent Filmmaker, Melbourne

IVOR INDYK Editor Heat

TUESDAY 29 JUNE 7PM

JUAN DAVILA Artist, Melbourne

PROFESSOR LEON VAN SCHAIK Faculty of the Constructed Environment, RMIT

PETER EMETT Senior Curator, Museum of Sydney

PROFESSOR PAUL PATTON Dept of General Philosophy, Uni of Sydney

PLEASE CONTACT ARTSPACE FOR DISAPPEARING PUBLICS ADVANCE BOOKINGS

$5 EACH SESSION

DISCOUNT $10 FOR 3 SESSIONS AVAILABLE TO ARTSPACE
MEMBERS/STUDENTS/CONCESSION

A CRITIC-IN-RESIDENCE PROJECT BY DR NIKOS PAPASTERGIADIS

Artspace gratefully acknowledges the Visual Arts/Craft Fund of the
Australia Council and the NSW Ministry for the Arts.
Critic-in-Residence Project is funded by the NSW Ministry for the Arts

** PLEASE NOTE OUR NEW EMAIL ADDRESS IS artspace@artspace.org.au **

_____________________

Interested in becoming a member of Artspace?  We offer an extremely
reasonably priced membership of $15 conc or $30 full annually. Benefits
include receiving monthly invitations to our exhibitions and events,
discounts in our bookshop, the opportunity to stand for and/or vote for
Artspace's Board, as well as discounts on admission to our events.
Besides that, you will also know that you are supporting the
development and production of new contemporary art and ideas!! JOIN NOW
AND INFORM A DIFFERENT FUTURE!! You are welcome to pay by credit card
over the phone, fax, email or snail mail, or post us a cheque. Thanks
for your support!!!

_____________________

Artspace

The Gunnery

43 - 51 Cowper Wharf Road

Woolloomooloo  NSW  2011

Australia

tel +61 2 9368 1899

fax +61 2 9368 1705

mailto:artspace@artspace.org.au

http://www.artspace.org.au/

http://www.culture.com.au/scan/artspace/

Director: Nicholas Tsoutas

Curator/Public Programs: Adam Boyd

Administrator: Joanne Harris

Gallery Assistant: Helen Hyatt-Johnston

Artspace gratefully acknowledges the VACF of the Australia Council and
the

NSW Ministry for the Arts

---