Ivo Skoric on Fri, 9 Apr 1999 21:49:10 +0200 (CEST)

<nettime> The War and its consequences

THE WAR:

"If I watch television, I see that the Galenica Pharmaceutics factory
is in flames, but if I look out my window, I see the same factory
standing intact," said my friend in Belgrade. For the majority,
however, there is no difference between what is broadcast on state
television and the real world. People trust the television more than
their own eyes. Fearing the truth, they prefer to believe in lies. -
that's stated in a report from Belgrade human rights activist to
IWPR.

It is really strange that NATO in all its sorties left Milosevic
with perhaps the most powerful weapon still undamaged: Television.
NATO strikes defenders boast that although NATO might have failed in
its short term objectives, it is going to prevail based on the long
term damage it caused to Milosevic's military-industrial complex.
That's arguable, too - and it depends primarily on the Western
resolve to go "all the way."

When Clinton said that NATO was bombing to prevent ethnic cleansing
in Kosovo, Milosevic ethnically cleansed Kosovo, creating over half
a million refugees. Then Clinton said that NATO was bombing to create
the conditions for the safe return of refugees, and Milosevic
seconded with the unilateral cease-fire and a call to refugees that
it was safe for them to return to their homes. While this cat and
mouse game continues involving  various obscure diplomatic figures
(like the acting Cypriot president...), there are more massacres by
Serbian paramilitary units and there are more poorly chosen targets
by NATO on the ground.

A civilian neighbourhood in Aleksinac was hit by three - not one -
cruise missiles. That must have been more than a poor guidance
system. And why exactly did the hot water plant and the cigarette
factory in Belgrade have to be destroyed? And what is the strategic
point in destroying bridges over Danube in Novi Sad? To block Danube?
Why? Is NATO afraid that the Serbs may get fuel from Hungary on ships
over Danube? But Hungary is a NATO member - they won't send fuel to
Serbs. It would make more military sense to block Danube East from
Belgrade - on its way to Romania, where Milosevic may eventually
smuggle something in from his friends in Russia (and there was no
action to that effect as of yet).

It is, however, correct that Milosevic has virtually no air force and
no air defenses any more, that he is hurting for fuel, and that he is
soon be hurting for ammo - i.e. that in a long-term NATO crippled his
ability to fight. He is loosing tanks, he is loosing artillery
pieces, but he is NOT loosing people. He keeps the grip on the army
constantly changing top brass, to avoid an embarassment of potential
coup d'etat. And ordinary people are rallying behind the flag. The
power of electronic media is vastly underestimated. I believe that
Nazis would never loose the WW II, had Goebels have the television
at his disposal. The Serbs are determined to fight with their bare
hands if necessary, making the ground forces option less and less
palatable, not only for fear of allied casualties, but also for fear
that they'd have to walk over too many dead bodies to get to
Milosevic.

Ground forces, of course, are necessary if we want to finish this off
properly. The alternative - to sign a half-assed deal in which
Milosevic would get to keep like 20% of Kosovo province, while KLA
would get to control the rest, completely dependent on NATO
protection and EU support, like Bosnia is - will not only tie NATO
forces for decades in the region, but it also will not solve the
problem.

KLA, not unlike the Bosnian government, is yet
another ethnically exclusive regime, modeled upon Milosevic's
government, "better" only to the extent that lacks the power and
organizational sophistication to carry out crimes against humanity at
the Milosevic's regime level. Milosevic's regime has to be destroyed
- like Hitler's regime had to be destroyed - if we want to see peace
and stability to return to the region. Otherwise, we are yet to
see Sandzak burning, Macedonia burning, Montenegro burning, Vojvodina
burning and finally Belgrade itself  burning.

Nevertheless, I didn't see much of what are we going to actually do
with the Balkans besides just bombing the shit out of Serbia, so far.
There is some serious political and economic effort needed to rebuild
that entire region (Bosnia, Serbia, Montenegro, Kosovo, Vojvodina,
Macedonia), which was bankcrupt even before the wars of Yugoslav
succession started, and now is beyond hope. Who is prepared to fork
billions of dollars into the region? And remember - there won't be
peace without that. Even bigger problem is how to re-build the civil
society - an effort that requires much more commitment than just
writing a check. It took many years for Germany to recover from
Nazism, and it took the whole scale allied support to help them do
it. It won't be any less challenging to do it with Serbia and its
copy-cat neighbors.

THE CONSEQUENCES: THE DISPLACEMENT OF HUMAN RESOURCES

Kosovo Albanian emigrees are leaving New York to join KLA:

(from nettime) "Re your last message to Nettime, some news:
There's a gang of 7 Kosovar men (plus much bigger families) who
work as janitors on my block (*address known to author*). Ten
days ago, they vanished en masse; I finaly saw one today
and asked about this - the others "went back." After about
an hour of chatting it turned out they had gone back to
fight. The remaining one said that as far as he knew huge
numbers had returned or were planning to return for same."

Sandzak Muslims are leaving Sandzak to escape the new war tax levied
upon them by Milosevic:

(from IWPR) "Since NATO launched its offensive, some 15,000 are
believed to have left the Sandzak, a predominantly Muslim region
which straddles Serbia and Montenegro and borders Bosnia on one side
and Kosovo on the other. Most have headed for Sarajevo, though some
have crossed into Montenegro and a handful are seeking refuge in
Turkey. According to the 1991 census, 420,000 people lived in the
Sandzak -278,000 in Serbia and 162,000 in Montenegro - of whom 54 per
cent were Muslims. The current population is probably considerably
lower because as many as 50,000 Muslims may have moved out during the
Bosnian war. Though the Sandzak has to date been spared NATO bombing,
tensions in the province are high. Air raid sirens go off every day
and after dusk the streets are eerily deserted. The Yugoslav Army has
been calling up reservists, mobilising local Serbs and comandeering
vehicles belonging to Muslims.
The Serbian authorities have staged patriotic rallies protesting the
NATO bombing in the municipalities of Novi Pazar and Sjenica, both of
which have Muslim majorities. Attendance at these rallies is
compulsory for school children, irrespective of ethnic origin, and,
according to media reports, more than 20,000 demonstrators turned out
on each occasion.
The Yugoslav Army has also appealed to Muslim entrepreneurs to help
finance the additional military and police units deployed in the
province. Even though the factories and workshops are shut, more than
60,000 German marks was collected in just four days in Novi Pazar
alone.
The Muslim entrepreneurs are contributing financially to the Serbian
war effort in the hope that this will both protect them personally and
their business interests. They have grown wealthy in the past decade
by manufacturing bogus jeans, including Levi's, Versace and Bugle Boy,
as well as shoes which mimic famous Italian designs but sell for a
fraction of the price.
The Sandzak's garment and shoe industry has thrived in a kind of
symbiotic relationship with the Serbian authorities. The Sandzak has
paid Belgrade more tax than any other comparable region of Yugoslavia.
And the country's pariah status has protected the entrepreneurs from
law suits brought by the owners of the trademarks of the products they
copy.
All this has not stopped Serbian authorities from cracking down on
Muslim shop-keepers. Nine small businessmen from Novi Pazar have each
been sentenced to 30 days in prison for "unauthorised raising of the
prices of foodstuffs and other prohibited financial transaction".
Some 12,000 Kosovo Albanian refugees have themselves made their way
to the Sandzak - 2,000 to the Serbian side and 10,000 to the
Montenegrin. Most have been taken in by local Muslim families who are
obliged to register the arrivals with the Red Cross and police.
Failure to do so is punishable by one month in prison."

Serbs are slowly leaving Belgrade, 5 buses a day:

(from Belgrade) "Today in the tram in Belgrade i saw a woman with the
button: Clintons face with Hitler's moustache,  behind the US flag
and the Nazi star on the top: 'Bring Monica back to him'.  Are not
radical feminists those who traced the begining of violence in the
male sexual violence against women!  (For those who still dont get
the button: ... if he did it to Monica he will not do it to Serbia!).
The new graffity down the road:  'Kosovo - National park'.
Schools and university and all the educational institutions are
closed down indefinitely.   People watch TV most of the time, and only
one discourse of hatred against agression.  Nothing in public can be
heard but the support to regime, serbia, military,  and hatred against
the enemy.  Of independed papers only two have remained, without
comentaries, without  signitures of journalists.  The human rights and
peace NGOs have freezed activites for now, in order to survive for
later.
People are leaving Belgrade slowly, 5 buses a day go to Budapest.
Four of our friends have already gone.   One  wonders if democracy
can be installed with bombs and fear?  Knowing that fear is the best
emotion to control the mind.  If  citizens of serbian nationality are
victims or hostages?
The fear goes through different phases among women.  Fear of
crossing bridges, fear of sirenas, fear of every sound, evening, fire
in the night sky....    In the first two weeks  the activists from the
C*  talked about fear  to women from 27  towns in 240 calls.   We
also received about 200 emails of support from different women and men
around the world.  And many of them are translated and are hanged on
the peace poster on the wall.
Most of our Albanian friends from Pristina by now were forced to
Macedonia.  Two of them have called us in the last two days  to tell
us that they are alive and that we should not worry for them.  Their
stories are horrible.  Their friendship and trust in us touching."