nettime's_indigestive_system on Thu, 8 Apr 1999 01:27:45 +0200 (CEST)

<nettime> nato/yugoslavia digest 040799 [stahlman, murph, byrne]

Newmedia@aol.com
          So, the Context is . . . Western Imperialism
murph the surf <murph@interport.net>
          Anne Roiphe on Serbians
Chris Byrne <chris@cryptic.demon.co.uk>
           Valery blindness

From: Newmedia@aol.com
Date: Wed, 7 Apr 1999 12:10:54 EDT
Subject: So, the Context is . . . Western Imperialism

Folks:

It seems that nettimers aren't the only ones seeking some rational context
for all things catastrophic.  Even normally astute policy-wonkers need a
refresher course.  Finally, the cold-hard reasons for events in the Balkans
are beginning to surface -- which means, as the logic of events normally do,
that the wheels have already been turning for quite a while.

Today's NYTimes, 7 April 99, OP-ED page, in an article entitled:

"In the Balkans, No Wars are 'Local'" by Robert D. Kaplan (Atlantic Monthly
correspondent and author of "Balkan Ghosts: A Journey Through History")

Kaplan says:

"The humanitarian nightmare in Kosovo may be reason enough for NATO's
involvement in the former Yugoslavia, but for the United States there are
vital strategic interests involved as well . . . Defeat Serbia, or the West
may lose Bulgaria, Romania and Greece . . . Appeals to conscience will not
keep Greece a de facto member of NATO, nor will they keep Romania and
Bulgaria from slipping into the sway of Russia.  What is required is nothing
less than a complete NATO military victory . . . Only Western Imperialism --
though few will like calling it that -- can now unite the European continent
and save the Balkans from chaos."

Last night on the Lehrer Report (the "liberal" PBS-TV in-depth newshow), a
panel consisting of past U.S. Secretaries of Defense Harold Brown and James
Schleisinger, along with past CIA-head Carlucci, all agreed:  There will need
to be an international conference on the Balkans to "redraw borders" and
define "spheres of influence."  Brown was forthright enough to say "And, of
course, this will have to involve Russia."

in all this, "Oh, don't worry, they're impotent, bankrupt and deeply
divided."  Whew!  Glad "we" don't have to worry about the Russians.

And, this morning's Daily Variety (the "official" newpaper of Hollywood)
announced that Fox News had just hired General Alexander Haig as it's "senior
policy advisor."  You can now place your bets about when he'll wind up on
"The Simpsons" explaining Balkan history to Homer, Bart and Lisa.

While pictures of the tormented and tortured may be enough to mobilize public
opinion behind a massive ground invasion of the Balkans (Kosovo, Albania,
Montenegro, Macedonia, Transylvania and . . . Serbia), this may not be enough
to mobilize the policy-wonkers -- particularly the "progressives" who read
the NYTimes and the Atlantic Monthly.  So, for the still-confused, the
context is . . .

While demonizing the opposition (a practice brought into the modern media age
by H.G. Wells when he ran the German Section of Beaverbrook's British
Ministry of Propaganda during WW I -- when he launched the campaign to label
Germans as barbaric "Huns" -- which was later claimed by Hitler in "Mein
Kampf" to be all anyone needed to know about propaganda), may be enough to
get 70% approval ratings in the American public for sending 200,000+ troops
to become a plausibly-permanent occupation army in the Balkans, it might not
be enough to solidify support among the social-democrats who now run the
ALLIANCE.  And, in case you're still wondering, the context is . . .

For anyone who is still unclear about why this is going on, the real context
of current events is now being widely and publically announced.  The context
is . . . Western Imperialism.

For certain, no one involved with nettime will object to calling it that.
Right?  We're all familiar with Western Imperialism, aren't we?

Now, all we need is someone to help explain how this brand-new version of
Western Imperialism has been radically techno-updated, detail its intimate
relationship to the "revolution" known as the Internet, how we are all
engaged in making the world safe for e-commerce, how multi-nationals and
PoGOs plan to override national sovereignty and how brand-new institutions
(like the new "Green" NATO, War Crimes Tribunals and Mr. Soros' proposed new
World Bank) intend to preside over the new imperial palace's beautiful,
high-tech war-room.

Any volunteers?

Best,

Mark Stahlman