nettime's_digestive_system on Wed, 7 Apr 1999 17:59:55 +0200 (CEST)

<nettime> Ivogram [Serbia as target practice / Native Protest (Canada)]

From: "Ivo Skoric" <ivo@reporters.net>
To: nettime <nettime-l@desk.nl>
Date: Wed, 7 Apr 1999 07:58:50 +0000
Subject: Serbia as a target practice

When Serbs/Yugoslav Army attacked towns and villages in Croatia and Bosnia,
Croat and Bosnian police and paramilitary units took it out on the Serb
minority living in those towns and villages. The agony of being helpless
against the superior enemy made them particularly brutal to their own victims.
Now Serbs/Yugoslav Army, helpless against NATO attacks, take it out on Kosovo
Albanians. Prishtina is "Albanienrein" by now. Therefore, less innocents would
die should the NATO attack. Also, Serbs/Yugoslav Army tried to attack Americans
elsewhere - first sending MIGs to Tuzla, which were shot down, and then
abducting those three poor loosers from the Macedonian border patrol.

When Milosevic achieves his objectives (that sometimes look very obscure), he
stops. Apparently he got what he wanted out of Kosovo and he declared the
unilateral cease-fire. Against whom? Against NATO? But he is not the one doing
the shooting in the war against NATO. Against Kosovo Albanians? But there is no
more Kosovo Albanians that can fight him. This is like killing a person and
then walking over to him lying dead and promising that you won't shoot.
Milosevic now wants peace talks on his own terms and with whom - with Ibrahim
Rugova. He had ten years time to do the peace talks with Rugova - that is how
long Rugova was trying to get him to do that, in the process completely ruining
his reputation in the eyes of his own people.

NATO targets went well beyond millitary objects and installation.   Serbia
became more valuable test range than Area 51. Cruise missiles hit ministries,
military headquarters, factories, power plants, bridges, etc. There are some
particularly unique targets: like why did they need to destroy two bridges in
Novi Sad? what was the point of destroying the power plant in Novi Beograd? why
destroy the cigarettes factory in Belgrade? Those targets, which in first case
completely severe the traffic of the second largest city in Yugoslavia, in
second case leave hundred thousand households without hot water and in third
case leave millions without cigarettes in the country of heavy smokers, seems
to be aimed primarily to annoy people, hoping they may turn against the regime.
But the regime is stronger than ever. I am surprised that NATO missed that the
spite is the name of the game in the Balkans.

ivo