Slobodan Markovic on Sun, 4 Apr 1999 12:38:15 +0200 (CEST)

<nettime> Belgrade is burning again...

    Around 04:30 am, cruise missiles hit Belgrade again!

    I've been responding to some e-mails when roaring detonation
    cut the night over Belgrade. I jumped to my window, when I
    heard another detonation and windows started lightly to shake.
    When I looked outside, I saw great orange mushroom growing over
    building roofs... Whole night sky, not just one part, was
    illuminated by this same orange light.

    This time the target was pure civilian object - heating plant
    in largest part of Belgrade (western part of the city, called
    New Belgrade, with more than 100.000 citizens).

    I can only imagine how was it at my grandmothers place. She lives
    on the 10th floor in a building which is no more than 800 meters
    far away from the plant... Right now (04:45), I cannot reach her
    over the phone. Probable phone lines overload...

    I also heard similar detonations in south-western part of the
    city (called Banjica), but because of neighbouring buildings
    that are closing my view, I could not see where exactly missiles
    hit. On TV they said it was something near the military hospital
    in Belgrade.

    I wonder what is on the menu for next night... :-((

    Still standing,

            Slobodan Markovic   | http://solair.eunet.yu/~twiddle
            Internodium Project | http://www.internodium.org.yu

---