painter on Fri, 15 Jan 1999 21:04:52 +0100 (CET)

<nettime> [facevalue] You are here

[Orig To: facevalue@onelist.com and list@rhizome.org. Please think
 about passing on 'overheard snippets' of conversations if or when
 they seem appropriate for nettime. The net, after all, is as much
 as an environment as it is a distribution medium, n'est pas? --tb]

At 12:25 PM -0800 12/28/98, Nino Rodriguez wrote:
> From: Nino Rodriguez <nino@pobox.com>
>
> My intuition is that the only antidote for narrative is simultaneity --
> a multitude of things not in a list, not in a space, but simply
> co-existing, interpenetrating, happening all at once, somewhere but
> nowhere.
>
> The only problem is, how is it possible for our minds to deal with such
> an entity?

But Nino, that's just it. Our minds are dealing with 'such an entity'
every moment--including this one. Our senses are constantly bombarded
by a seamless field of energies which, as sorted and organized by the
mind, appear to us as 'our experience of living'--not to mention 'our
sense of self'. This self/world *is* a narrative. "*I* am a story I
tell myself." It doesn't matter whether we're talking about a sense
of orientation in space, or a sense of orientation in time, or, for
that matter, a sense of orientation in society--or a sense of
orientation in the didactics of denotational and operational
semantics.

It appears that even when the mind is subject to experiences that
fall outside the social/self generated and narratively limited range
considered 'what is real and/or possible', the experience is given an
interpretation and identification as (in some sense of the word)
'real'--regardless of how fanciful this interpretation and
identification may be from the perspective of the narrative norm.
Thus 'Visitations of the Virgin Mary' and 'Encounters of the First
Kind' exhibit remarkably similar phenomenology (and may, in fact, be
representations of an identical supra-noumenal event for which we
have no socially agreed upon explanation) even though their
respective identifications and descriptions arise from two quite
different epsitemologies. Similarly, we experience our dreams as
'real' even though their 'reality' remains ambiguous. That is, we may
not know what dreams are, but, generally speaking, to the extent that
they are subjectively experienced psychic events, our social norm
concludes that they are real. The dream state can be measured and
recorded although the dream 'content' can not.

One thing we can say about dreams, however, is that all dream
content, however fantastical, is a subjectively real 'self/world'
experience, subjectively indistinguishable from waking consciousness.
(Lucid Dreaming *may* be a special case but at this point there is no
agreement that such a state even exists, so I'll not digress.)
Ultimately ALL events are psychic events. This is not to say there is
no source of energy external to the body (noumena); only that the
experience *as* experience is psychic in nature. The light that
physicists study, for example, is invisible--it is not the light we
'see'. The 'shine' of visible light is a combination of light energy
in its noumenal form interacting with a living neurostructure. One
could very easily say that this neurostructure is itself a kind of
narrative--a pattern of dynamic and self replicating meaningful
relationships (the very definition of a living body). Thus, not only
does a tree not make any sound when it falls in the forest if there
is no one there to hear it, without some kind of 'observer' there is
neither tree nor forest, much less 'falling' or 'sound'.

What I can't understand is why on Earth, outside of a Zen monistary,
anyone would be searching for an 'antidote' to narrative in the first
place? Sounds like a bunch of post-modern deconstructivist rhetoric
to me. Narrative is more fundamental than breathing; if you COULD
suspend it, even for a second, YOU, as a self/world experience, would
cease to exist. After the fact, to the extent that you could recall
anything of this novel not/self state, this recollection would itself
be a narrative fiction seemlessly (intentional) integrated into the
narrative fiction of the self.

Mike Wells
painter@sirius.com
---