Bruce Sterling on Tue, 5 Jan 1999 12:34:42 +0100 (CET)

<nettime> Viridian Note 00039: Starck's New Catalog

     [orig to Viridian List <viridian@fringeware.com>]

Key concepts:  Philippe Starck, eco-design, merchandising,
tribal futurism, Bruce Sterling promotional tour

Attention Conservation Notice:  Contains design manifesto
originally written in French.

Links: http://www.goodgoods.tm.fr

Entries in the Viridian "Fungal Typography" Contest:
http://members.aol.com/stjude/
http://www.saunalahti.fi/~jtlin/viridian/
http://www.wenet.net/~scoville/Viridian/viridiantext.html
http://www.erols.com/ljaurbach/
http://www.empathy.com/viridian/

From:  WarrenE@aol.com^^^^* (Warren Ellis)

Warren Ellis remarks:  Noted French designer Philippe
Starck is offering a new manifesto and an accompanying
design catalogue.  Starck declares that he wants to design
an ethical future for his children. This may be tangential
to core Viridian concerns, but (it seems to me) it's of
vast interest to see this famed designer attacking
environmental concerns in the commercial arena, and with
great energy and industry.

Starck's "GoodGoods" catalog is not online, but can be
ordered free from the website. Below, some excerpts from
Philippe Starck's introduction.

"Non-products for non-consumers"

by Philippe Starck

    "One fine day, several million years ago, Mrs
Cromignonne and Mr Abominet fell in love with their
offspring.  A new era dawned.  Madame strove to protect
her infant, Monsieur, to improve posterity.  Together, the
two of them == the pragmatic mother and the idealistic,
visionary father == invented the naive concept of
progress, which was to be expressed chiefly by the
creation and manufacture of tools supposed to make our
life easier and even contribute to our happiness.  Much,
much later == that is to say, in our times == it became
evident that the most generous ideals tend to be the first
to degenerate.

     "Man found himself many a time a slave to the tools
he created to serve him.  Although there are a few rare
objects whose integrity, practicality and sense of purpose
have remained intact, a plethora of others exist only for
themselves, without humour, love or fancy.  Farewell,
dreams of happiness...

     "As I matured, I realised I could try to correct an
injustice to which I was myself probably an accomplice.

     "Because I am neither a philosopher, nor a
sociologist, nor a statesman; because I lack the
intelligence to grapple with the problem on theoretical
grounds, I decided to be pragmatic.

     "Grasping the wills and won'ts, the needs and desires
of the citizen I would like to have as a friend and
neighbour, I have attempted to describe the equipment he
or she is likely to carry and maybe, through him or her,
catch a glimpse of the society in which I'd like to see my
children and those of my friends growing up.

     "What a vast, pretentious and naive programme this
is.

      "I therefore tried to find, collect, correct or
create (when necessary) objects which are honest,
responsible and respectful to people.

      "Not necessarily beautiful objects, but good
objects.

     "I soon realised I was facing an impossible task.
After research and selection, very few products could meet
my stringent standards.  Yet, although the ones I approved
were still far from my ideal of perfection, they did
convey a certain spirit; an alternative direction, a new
way of being.

   "Today, I am able to offer you a catalogue of these
objects, a compendium I would like to call a catalogue
of 'non-products for non-consumers.' (...)"

Warren Ellis remarks:.  What follows are: organic foods,
organic clothes (organic cotton, no chemical treatments,
some grown on former coca land in Peru), a series of t-
shirts depicting the growth of a foetus to term ("Pride
becomes didactic"), slogan t-shirts ("Tomorrow will be
less", "Nous Sommes Les Mutants", "Moral Market"), shades
("governed by a commitment to non-fashion"), bed linen,
lamps, respirator masks ("to be safely equipped for any
possible technological, chemical, bacteriological or
radioactive mishap is neither a symptom of paranoia nor
the sign of an excessively pessimistic nature").

   Starck again:   "Non-products are confronted with a
grid of requirements based on such criteria as:
justification of existence, integrity of purpose,
longevity, moral elaboration, didacticism, political
significance, symbolic social significance, sexual
significance, human responsibility, fair cost, fair price,
creativity, and, sometimes, humour, poetry and respect."

    GoodGoods is not an essentially Viridian enterprise.
But it does provide lessons.  Starck exerts himself in the
attempt to make living the GoodGoods way *desirable*.  He
does his damnedest  (it's probably more convincing in the
original French, but GoodGoods is solidly bilingual
throughout) to make GoodGoods a club, a tribe he's
inviting you to join.  He's spent two years on this, and
now he's providing you the chance to get in on the ground
floor with him.

    In a year's time, Pope-Emperor, you and yours will be
faced with real-world application to that same problem.
Starck seems to me to be bench-testing his solutions to
that problem right now.

Warren Ellis
http://www.warrenellis.com

(((Well, see, that's the advantage of being an actual
designer like Philippe Starck, as opposed to being a lame,
English-speaking, sociophilosophical sci-fi guy who
intelligently grapples with this crap on theoretical
grounds.  I spent a couple days inside a Philippe Starck
hotel once.  It was a very swank joint, but  it was like
living in somebody's Filofax.  Nevertheless, I heartily
concur with M. Starck that this is an excellent time to
make fools of ourselves with vast, pretentious and naive
programs.  He couldn't be more right about that.
Absolutely, Philippe!  With you all the way, mon frere!
And this is no mere tepid theoretical agreement, either.
I'm gonna *buy* something of yours == probably that Starck
lemon juicer that looks like a rocketship.)))

    (((The Viridian List will now enjoy a brief hiatus
while my publisher sends me out on the road to sign my new
novel.  If you're on the West Coast of the USA and you
feel some urge to press the papal flesh, drop on by.)))

 Bruce Sterling's  "Distraction Tour"

 Wednesday Jan 6, 1999
 University Bookstore, 4326 University Way, NE,
 Seattle, 7-8PM

 Thursday, Jan 7
 Powell's. 1005 West Burnside, Portland
 7:30 - 8:30 PM

 Friday Jan 8
 Stacey's, 581 Market Street SF CA, 12:30-1:30PM
 Dark Carnival 3086 Claremont Berkeley, 6-7PM

 Saturday Jan 9
 Dangerous Visions, Sherman Oaks    2-4pm

 Sunday Jan 10
 Mysterious Galaxy 3904 Convoy Street #107
 Burbank 2-3:30 PM
---