Kestutis Andrasiunas on Tue, 29 Dec 1998 06:16:25 +0100 (CET)

<nettime> m a n i f e s t o

                       www.o-o.lt TAUTOLOGICAL MANIFESTO OF THE MEDIA

1. By the action of a machine, the resistance of time and space has been
changed. A physical action is transformed into a sequence of signals and
remotely transmitted. In this way we can experience a new concept of time
and space not only theoretically, but also practically. The change in
comprehension of space and time inescapably brings about a change in the
means of communication and creating art. A machine becomes a mediator
between a spectator and environment. This makes way for quick indirect
communication and creation of dynamic communities. Communities whose
members are not bound up with a physical location. We call the location in
which the life of this community is taking place, virtual. Virtual
location is created by means of interaction between the
spectators-participants and an electronic machine. This kind of situation
is usually described with the help of metaphors and analogues. Even the
word "location" becomes a metaphor.

2. In this environment art acquires a new form and means of spreading.

(i) Art not only uses a machine but also changes together with the
machine.

(ii) An electronic machine turns from a tool into part of an art work
ensuring its further functioning and survival.

(iii) Art always oscillates between the real and virtual world, affects
reality and is affected by it. It is discovered and broadcast, mobile and
multiplying.

(iv) To create art and a community, electric power and a machine is
necessary. A machine can be turned on and off. (written in 1998).

(v) Writing/sound/image ­ none of these forms of communication has a
priority. Options are equal.

(vi) Spreading is a quality of this art.

(vii) Logical form relates it with the previously created reality.

We call art meeting all these conditions media art.

3. These definitions of media art and community are not final and
unchangeable, but they constitute the basis for our getting together to
found the Media Institute 1998 choosing the Internet as the most effective
means of communication.

Words used:  Art - 10. Machine - 9. Community - 6. Media - 5. Virtual - 4.

o-o@o-o.lt

---