Michael Gurstein on Sun, 20 Dec 1998 17:22:02 +0100 (CET)

<nettime> Alternate Davos (net.debate and meeting)

Attached is some initial correspondence that might be of interest with
respect to the development of a co-ordinated Net based "Alternate
Davos"...

Laurent <jesover@attac.org> has established an e-list to carry on the
discussion... If you have an interest you should contact him about joining
that list.

Mike Gurstein

>From: Laurent JESOVER <jesover@attac.org>
>Subject: Alternate Davos
>
>I would like to present you an idea concerning the organization of an
>Alternate Davos in the city of Davos during the "liberal encounter" at
>the end of January 1999.
>
>ATTAC, along with other NGOs (Swiss, European and from else where),
>will organize an Alternate Davos to think about other ways to see
>economic issues. Some of us will be physically in Davos to held a
>press conference : of course a very small number of person, since the
>cost of a physical presence meet more bank executives financial
>possiblities than NGO participants'. Meanwhile throughout Europe,
>meetings will be help by unions and other organizations on specific
>topics still in relation with an Alternate Davos.
>
>The idea is to be able during the press conference to not speak to
>journalists about ourselves but to present the full diversity of
>possibilities around the world for a real Alternate Davos. The goal is
>not to put us in front of journalists but to let them know that there
>are possible others "news" than the ones create by the Davos encounter
>concerning the world economic well-being and the world development.
>
>That's why we would like, with your help, to be able to present
>through computer screens an "Alternate Davos" that will match really
>the world size.
>
>With the help of chatrooms on the Internet we would like to reunite
>during the time of the press conference a number of people that will
>largely out-numbered the Davos participants.
>
>This "presence" will have two goals:
>
>- to prove by the number of people virtually but really present at the
>same time and place than Davos economic issues are not world issues
>but just issues raised by a specific set of people and than other
>forces exist that meet more the world diversity.
>
>- to send a strong message to journalists about the emergency for
>"decision makers" to think differently about world development.
>
>Technically the page will held the logos of all the organizations that
>will be officially present in the chatroom, giving the possibilities
>to journalist to interview them. It also will enable citizens to be
>present and to participate to the press conference.
>
>We can also take this opportunity to launch officially a vast lobbying
>action in the direction of governments to held an international
>conference soon to talk about ways of financing sustainable
>development around the world, financing it for example by an
>international tax on international transactions.
>
>Of course all this is just "ideas" : everything is in the open for the
>moment to let your networks organize it with us. But I am sure we can
>all agree shortly with basic lines that will match our works and
>concerns.
>
>Please feel free to react to this proposal by emailing me :
>jesover@attac.org and of course to forward this message to anyone of
> [...]

Michael Gurstein, Ph.D.
ECBC/NSERC/SSHRC Associate Chair in the Management of Technological Change
Director:  Centre for Community and Enterprise Networking (C\CEN)
University College of Cape Breton, POBox 5300, Sydney, NS, CANADA B1P 6L2
Tel.  902-563-1369 (o)      	902-562-1055 (h)      	902-562-0119 (fax)
Mgurst@ccen.uccb.ns.ca	    Http://ccen.uccb.ns.ca   	   ICQ: 7388855

---