Peter Lunenfeld on Tue, 6 Oct 1998 08:48:49 +0200 (MET DST)

Re: <nettime> We Are All PR Flacks Now

>A friend of nettime, Eric Davis, has just published his book, "Techgnosis :
>Myth, Magic, and Religion in the Information Age" which, in turn, is reviewed
>by Matthew DeBord in the current FEED.  While I haven't seen the published
>work, from what we've seen of the manuscript, I suspect that this will be an
>important book to read.

I've read the manuscript and even did one of those little pull quotes for
the book jacket, but turned it in too late to be printed. So, here's PR
flack I actually believe. Erik's book is quite wonderful and will be on all
good nettimers' Christmas (or at least Yule) lists.

Peter

++++++

Erik Davis
Techgnosis: Myth, Magic, and Mysticism in the Age of Information
(New York: Harmony Books, 1998)

Davis performs alchemy, fusing disparate strands of techno-hype, mystical
speculation, and hard-nosed reporting into a Philosopher's Stone, unlocking
secrets our culture doesn't even know it has. Like Greil Marcus, Davis is
readable when the thinking gets heavy and in touch with pop culture without
being overwhelmed by trivia. Techgnosis is written smart, and far more
rare, written well.
---